Community
Wiki Posts
Search

hard time starting motor with starter box

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 03:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default hard time starting motor with starter box

I'm having some trouble getting my motor in my NTC3 to start up (i'm using an AE box with two venom battery packs) i've been at it for a while, and the thing will just not turn over! it will go a little bit, but then it seams like the pistons gets stuck up in the bore in the TDC position. it's a new motor, never has been run before and I want to break it in.. is this normal and I should I keep trying and hoping that somehow the thing will fire?
Old 07-23-2005, 03:56 PM
Tech Regular

Try heating the head with a hair dryer or heat gun.This is a common problem.Also use a little afterrun oil to lube the piston and sleeve.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:56 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by NTC3Kitty
I'm having some trouble getting my motor in my NTC3 to start up (i'm using an AE box with two venom battery packs) i've been at it for a while, and the thing will just not turn over! it will go a little bit, but then it seams like the pistons gets stuck up in the bore in the TDC position. it's a new motor, never has been run before and I want to break it in.. is this normal and I should I keep trying and hoping that somehow the thing will fire?
100% Percent NORMAL.

All the high end engines I have had get stuck at TDC, you need to take a screw driver or somthing and loosen the flywheel and try again.

If you cant get it started after loosening it a few times loosen the glowplug a little bit to reduce some of the compresion, once its started tighten it again.

If that fails, heat it up and loosen it a little.

Every engine I have had has the tight pinch.

It will go away after break in (Getting stuck at TDC)
Old 07-23-2005, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You will always want to heat a motor with a heat gun beforehand when first starting. This insures it will be closer to operating temp and will loosen the clearances between the piston and sleeve.

Otherwise your also putting more stress on the motor and of course getting it stuck in tdc.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

ok thanks for your help - I did heat it up, to about 180* and started it up just fine. I ran the motor blipping the throttle for a full tank and am going to keep breaking in the motor tomorrow by running it some more. i'm excited