Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Is Stock Sedan Under Siege? (Shaft vs Belt) >

Is Stock Sedan Under Siege? (Shaft vs Belt)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Stock Sedan Under Siege? (Shaft vs Belt)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (95%+)

where are you getting the car for $700, the evo is 910 usd and with the conversion will cost 1070 here in canada, so please let me know where they are for $700 that is a great deal for one of these thanks
Old 03-03-2014, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by moparSRT
Russian Missle wins USVTA @ the birds

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
I object to your use of the word 'missile' when referring to 21.5 blinky.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:25 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

It is expensive. Other companies could produce similar designs for cheaper. Maybe they will. Schumacher kinda half-way tried to copy and screwed it up badly.

For what it's worth, that price includes front ECS, all sway bars, no need for springs, no need for a front gear diff to work right, no need for white belts. You would spend over $700 to bring a T4'14 up to a similar spec which almost any serious racer will do.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
I object to your use of the word 'missile' when referring to 21.5 blinky.
Those are 25.5 missiles
Old 03-03-2014, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Well, on the weekend I learned that one quarter turn of a wrench on any touring car can make or break you. I had a fast but new car (VBC Wildfire D06) with only a couple runs on it previous to the local championships. I chose the VBC because I knew I needed a car that I could quickly and intuitively adjust in the heat of battle. It was very enjoyable to make changes so easily and pilot a competitive car.

I like the design of the Matix but earlier this season when I got a close look at it and saw a very fast, very experienced racer struggle to tune the car I decided right then and there it was the wrong choice for me. It seems to me that there is room in the market for a simplified reverse engineered version of this car. I don’t think any of the currently available and affordable shaft drive chassis are better than a standard belt car so hopefully some manufacture will respond with another option.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DavidNERODease
Well, on the weekend I learned that one quarter turn of a wrench on any touring car can make or break you. I had a fast but new car (VBC Wildfire D06) with only a couple runs on it previous to the local championships. I chose the VBC because I knew I needed a car that I could quickly and intuitively adjust in the heat of battle. It was very enjoyable to make changes so easily and pilot a competitive car.

I like the design of the Matix but earlier this season when I got a close look at it and saw a very fast, very experienced racer struggle to tune the car I decided right then and there it was the wrong choice for me. It seems to me that there is room in the market for a simplified reverse engineered version of this car. I don’t think any of the currently available and affordable shaft drive chassis are better than a standard belt car so hopefully some manufacture will respond with another option.
Perhaps the problem is that a reverse engineered car that is a cheaper version would essentially end up being just another shaft drive car, and as you've said, the other available cars are no better than the belt cars, and I must confess that although the Awesomatix looks good on track (and a work of art under the skin), I don't think it's the be all and end all.
I certainly don't hear of any drivers 'fearing' them in competition.

Skiddins
Old 03-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Perhaps the problem is that a reverse engineered car that is a cheaper version would essentially end up being just another shaft drive car, and as you've said, the other available cars are no better than the belt cars, and I must confess that although the Awesomatix looks good on track (and a work of art under the skin), I don't think it's the be all and end all.
I certainly don't hear of any drivers 'fearing' them in competition.

Skiddins
Come to the dark side my son and feel the power.

Some of the top non-awesomatic drivers at ROAR Carpet Nats this past weekend had tones of fear.

I know people have there reservations about the Awesomatix but until you've owned one and worked with it to find a setup for your driving style you don't know how much faster you can be. My son Kyle just won a ROAR National title in 17.5 TC this past weekend and I took second, both of us are running the A700. We ran against last years Snowbirds and IIC 17.5 champion and some other very good drivers as well. I know for a fact this would not have happened if we were using another car, as we are usually B and C main drivers.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
Come to the dark side my son and feel the power.

Some of the top non-awesomatic drivers at ROAR Carpet Nats this past weekend had tones of fear.

I know people have there reservations about the Awesomatix but until you've owned one and worked with it to find a setup for your driving style you don't know how much faster you can be. My son Kyle just won a ROAR National title in 17.5 TC this past weekend and I took second, both of us are running the A700. We ran against last years Snowbirds and IIC 17.5 champion and some other very good drivers as well. I know for a fact this would not have happened if we were using another car, as we are usually B and C main drivers.
Congratulations to you and Kyle first of all!

You bring up a good point as well; there may or may not be ONE chassis to rule them all, but you sure do need to find the one that best suits you if you want to compete at big races.

Last edited by nrtv20; 03-03-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (96%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
All this "it's about the driver" doesn't really apply when you've got guys that have made the A main at large events with other cars immediately go significantly faster with the new car. It completely removes that from the equation.
Nope. Last week at an asphalt race in Florida:

Mark Burt former ROAR Stock National Champion (2010 maybe?) - Awesomatix
Cory Parsons Current ROAR National Champion - Xray T14
Austin Harrison - Snowbirds and US Indoor Champs Stock champion - Tamiya 418

Austin TQd 17.5 with 418, Cory won with X-Ray. Mark Burt in second.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I have always said to myself, when it wins a big mod title, I will consider it.

Well, that time has come.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Bump!

YOU EVIL, EVIL MAN!! YOU'RE LIKE THE NECROMANCER OF BAD THREADS!!
Old 03-03-2014, 01:56 PM
Tech Lord

This is a GOOD thread!
Old 03-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by DavidNERODease
It seems to me that there is room in the market for a simplified reverse engineered version of this car. I don’t think any of the currently available and affordable shaft drive chassis are better than a standard belt car so hopefully some manufacture will respond with another option.
It pains me to say this, and I hope I'm wrong, but I think the first company to do this successfully is going to sell a giant pile of cars, especially if they're priced more like a traditional sedan.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
The Awesomatix is pretty impressive to me. I have seen some very good improvement out of racers who switched. One guy went from an Evo5 shaft car to the Awesomatix, so it's not just the shaft.

I just wonder if the price point holds back it's popularity.
I'd say without question. It's just too much for most guys out there, and you don't see used ones pop up very often.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Tamiya EVO 6??? I am sure someone was close to releasing a new carbon fiber chassis shaft car, but then Oleg came out with the FFG and they were like OH DAMN IT, back to the drawing board. Push back the release date...

The only other shaft car with gear diffs and a lipo chassis was the EVO 5 with the limited addition Exotek chassis. I owned that and now the awesom-o. I have had more "success" with team vodka.

BTW I just noticed the guy robk was talking about might have been me... LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.