Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brushless terms

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 06:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Brushless terms

Looking at getting into touring mod class at the local club. I know nothing about brushless motors so I need some help.

Eg. What is the difference between a 5.5T and a 5.5R?

And what would you recommend? Brands, Turns so on.

Cheers
Old 01-18-2014, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DancewithMedusa
Looking at getting into touring mod class at the local club. I know nothing about brushless motors so I need some help.

Eg. What is the difference between a 5.5T and a 5.5R?

And what would you recommend? Brands, Turns so on.

Cheers
The 5.5T is a torque motor and the R is an RPM motor. First question would be have you ran sedan before? Reason I ask is a 5.5 motor is very fast and not really a good place to start out in sedan. If you have then I would look at ORCA motors since that's what I run and they are great motors. Trinity, reedy, thunderpower are all great motors. Ounce you start getting into that low of a turn motor they are pretty comparable. If you have never ran sedan then I would start with about a 6.5-7.5 turn and get used to the power. Then work your way down to the ballistic speeds of the 5 turn
Old 01-18-2014, 06:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Yeah I may go to super stock instead just to start with ive done a year and a bit with touring stock (silvercan) and im getting a bit bored. I had a go with a mod car the other day and I found it actually easier to drive a car with a bit more power haha
So is there any brands that stand out for 13.5t?
Old 01-18-2014, 07:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DancewithMedusa
Yeah I may go to super stock instead just to start with ive done a year and a bit with touring stock (silvercan) and im getting a bit bored. I had a go with a mod car the other day and I found it actually easier to drive a car with a bit more power haha
So is there any brands that stand out for 13.5t?
Same ones. The trinity D3.5 is a fast motor. I'm partial to ORCA and think their motors are great. They are super smooth and make the car easy to drive. Check out www.teameamotorsports.com and have a look at Eric's stuff. He will get you some of the fastest motors out there.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Sweet as cheers for that
Old 01-18-2014, 09:06 PM
Tech Addict

Ya if youve never ran sedan before id suggest a 17.5 because on a smaller track you can get like 7 sec laps and on a larger track maybe 10 sec laps and faster with a higher speed motor yes until.march d3.5 ispis probably he best motor however after that they are illegal id suggest orca for 17.5 mines great with +.75mm past the last timing mark (buddy has a motor checker to set it to max efficiency) those kind of lap times and speeds arent right for anyone i had to take a sebatical and visit other slower classes and eventually came back to 17.5 its plently fast for me maybe for a better driver like a sponsored guy but for the average club racer try 17.5 and get an understanding how to tune the car and drive correctly and such
Old 01-18-2014, 11:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

orca 5.0tx with an orca vxx and an orca 6200 90c is one hell of a combo. It's what I'm running and have been very happy with.