Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree136Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 09:30 PM
Tech Addict

hey Michael... both are good cars , it comes down to preference on which feels best to you. maybe look at the tracks close to you and ask some guys to show you their cars. I don't know if your close to amain hobbies.. but I have known kendall for yrs and they are great guys there and would prob. let you try both cars out.

personally I enjoy both cars but think the mid jumps and corners just a little better.. you will need to learn to tune mid motor style though , so there is a bit of a learning curve.

and yes it is just a little heavier... my mid motor with transponder weighs 1548 grams.. and my rear motor is about 1505grams.. but even in stock I feel the mid carries more speed and once you understand the tuning you will find its super easy to tune in from track to track and from hard pack to loose conditions.

the rear motor car is great and a lot of guys may like it beter, but the biggest differences are the way they feel in corners, the mid carves more vs. the rotational feel of the rear.. and in bumps the mid is a little smoother and jumps are also a little smoother with the mid.. under acceleration the mid kind of squats and takes off where the rear sometimes wants to wheelie more.

but you can be very very fast with either car.. just your personal pref. will make the biggest difference.
hope that helps.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecman26
+1
It would be nice to see a smaller spur gear, like maybe a 62? Am I alone in this feeling? with 21.5t motors I am not looking forward to having to run a 38 or a 40t pinion...
Why would you run a 21.5? As far as I know, everything is 17.5. Some special class?
Old 04-01-2014, 09:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vito
can the esc be up front
You could probably mount it on a carbon battery hold down in the cab forward part of the body. But why?
Old 04-01-2014, 10:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

That must be one small small track for 21.5!!
Old 04-01-2014, 11:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I drive tlr and AE and the tlr threads are much more beneficial for someone looking for input. I am not sure why this is but it annoying to say the least! I love my b5m and the last thing i would do is make comments about a car i dont own, its just not logical to me.

Anyhow, im looking for help in gaining steering. I run on a med-high bite clay type track and was wondering if dirt webs would add more steering over ions? I ordered dirt webs hoping they will work better but some tuning options to go with the tires i think would be beneficial.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In for the B5m discussion... that im sure will shortly resume...
Old 04-02-2014, 12:46 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CTRJ
What class are you running a 21.5 in? What ratio do you run?
Its my B4.2, and its actually for oval.
Our local track has a 21.5t street stock class.
Gearing is gonna have to be spot on to get them to move...
I have a 66t spur in it so I am gonna need a 38t pinion. seems so large to me!
Old 04-02-2014, 05:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

LOL Guys, please don't take my posts seriously. Every experienced racer knows that weight matters. But just because a car is quicker doesn't mean you will be faster with it. Yeah sounds weird, but work with me for a sec.

The difference between a slow car and a fast car is corner speed. If I make my car 'faster' on the track, there's a good chance that I just made it more aggressive and freed it up some. Typically I can't handle a fast car because my reflexes are shot. If I hand my car to one of my friends, they will go faster, but I will go slower.

So for me, if I 'slow' the car down by making it easier to drive (probably made it push some in the turns and lose some corner speed), I will make less mistakes and ultimately go faster.

Oh and the Hara vs the mechanic thing was funny as hell. I spit coffee out

P.S. Wild Cherry is needed. Every court needs a jester
Old 04-02-2014, 05:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
ok, so I hate the thumb screws. I am thinking the tlr 22 2.0 battery mounting studs might screw down on the grub screws, and then body pins can be used? Anyone tried this or another mod?
I'm sort of with you...I don't hate the thumb screws per say but what is the deal with the o-ring? Just to prevent them from loosening? If you have them properly tightened do they really back out during a race?
Old 04-02-2014, 05:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Bob Barry
LOL Guys, please don't take my posts seriously. Every experienced racer knows that weight matters. But just because a car is quicker doesn't mean you will be faster with it. Yeah sounds weird, but work with me for a sec.

The difference between a slow car and a fast car is corner speed. If I make my car 'faster' on the track, there's a good chance that I just made it more aggressive and freed it up some. Typically I can't handle a fast car because my reflexes are shot. If I hand my car to one of my friends, they will go faster, but I will go slower.

So for me, if I 'slow' the car down by making it easier to drive (probably made it push some in the turns and lose some corner speed), I will make less mistakes and ultimately go faster.

Oh and the Hara vs the mechanic thing was funny as hell. I spit coffee out

P.S. Wild Cherry is needed. Every court needs a jester
+1 on all counts. Great post.

I took steering out of my B5R last night by adding a mm on the front inner link and got 3/10s faster a lap instantly. It's not that before the car wasn't setup correctly, just wasn't set up right for me.

And WC is OK by me ... entertaining and sometimes right with a great online persona. The Colbert of RCTech?
Old 04-02-2014, 06:06 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Michael@USPN
Fast racers....preferably owners of both b5r and b5m. I'm curious if there is a preferred platform for the stock class 17.5. and if you could please explain why you say this. Thanks in advance
I won't lay claim in any fashion to being a fast racer, but get on the podium in our local 17.5 club races fairly consistently.

I have the B5R and a well tuned C4.2 (very close to Maifield's last setup). I race against a lot of mid motors (B5M, Centro, RB6, Serpents) and rear motors, indoor high bite clay.

I like having both options and do equally well with both cars. I'm not sure what I would choose if I had to between the B5M and the B5R. But you will need to spend more money to get the B5M 'right' for 17.5 IMO because it clearly needs aluminum on the rear inner ballstud mount for durability and it is heavy out of the box.

Other than that it comes down to driving style. Either car can win on most tracks, including high bite (see Ashe Deering's 17.5 win at Cactus).

Looks like you are coming from a touring car background so I bet you would like the mid motor better. The C4.2 drives more like a 4wd buggy in the corners ... it tends to carry more speed on power, but the B5 is just a rocket coming out of the corners and lands jumps incredibly well, settling fast and very stable.

Out of the box the B5M doesn't land nearly as well as the B5R (chassis slap) but I saw at least one B5M last night that was incredible in the jumps last night so I think it's just a shock package setup issue.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:40 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grasschopper
I'm sort of with you...I don't hate the thumb screws per say but what is the deal with the o-ring? Just to prevent them from loosening? If you have them properly tightened do they really back out during a race?
Much easier to pull 2 pins then unscrew the nuts. And they really like to bounce of my pit table as I try spin them off. No way around it. Pins are faster and I have never seen a pin come out in racing, I have had the thrumb screws come off though.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:14 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bilster44
In case anyone is looking for one...AE has the FT aluminum "u braces" in stock right now
I don't see them on there site. What's the part #
Old 04-02-2014, 07:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Originally Posted by splking1
I don't see them on there site. What's the part #
Old 04-02-2014, 07:53 AM
Tech Addict

hey skeeter.. did you get a chance to try and of the tuning changes I suggested yet? I also mentioned some tires to try.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.