Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 07:03 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Why!?! What are you lap times? Is it lack of power that is causing you to lose races? Until you have a good feel for what is causing you to be slower don't do ANYTHING but drive more and get more familiar with the car and the track. Races are won in the corners, not on the straight away.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

for $100 you could probably get that car down to 1500 grams.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE
for $100 you could probably get that car down to 1500 grams.
I'd be interested in knowing what it would take, out of curiosity if nothing else.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bds81175
Why!?! What are you lap times? Is it lack of power that is causing you to lose races? Until you have a good feel for what is causing you to be slower don't do ANYTHING but drive more and get more familiar with the car and the track. Races are won in the corners, not on the straight away.
Assuming that is in response to my post. The reason I asked about starting over with a different car is that I have a B5 rear motor available; seems many people say they are superior to the mid motor on low to mid traction.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:20 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tbone17
Assuming that is in response to my post. The reason I asked about starting over with a different car is that I have a B5 rear motor available; seems many people say they are superior to the mid motor on low to mid traction.
Please excuse my wording here. But yes, a rear motor can be better on medium or low bite, or even high bite. That's of course if you don't have any idea on how to setup a car. If you do, a mid motor car in my opinion will always be a faster car into and through the corner. The mid motor car can almost get off the corner as hard, as long as you again have the setup correct.

Is the mid car more sensitive to setup? I'd say yes. Once you get it close, to me, the mid motor car seems to be more rewarding.

More of my opinion? SLRC chassis, cut the cross braces, get the car to 1550 and put in a hotter motor to over come the weight disadvantage. I have no problem sharing my medium grip setup with you, but on paper and real life, my car is far from a "box stock" B5m.

81 tooth spur should never be used on a mid motor car, only the 78 for mod, and 66/69/72 for 17.5.

Again, these are all my opinions.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:30 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Socket is mostly correct about his opinions It seems that AE has chosen the RM car for some outdoor racing in the US. Nick Wautlet recently posted his setup sheet. Socket is correct, the RM car is "easier" to setup. I run on med-high and high bite tracks and prefer the MM car. Mostly for their flat jumping and lower rear bite.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:52 AM
Tech Prophet

Kody is really an astro guy? lol. Nice job on 2nd on the grid. He pretty much crushed Cav.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:43 AM
Tech Addict

Many say the mid motor car is a little harder to drive but from my experience it's massively easier to drive. Our local indoor track is medium bite clay but I find the MM very forgiving and easy to catch. You don't have the massive pendulum affect of the rear motor pulling you around corner exits. Just a different feel but much easier once you're use to it. Stick with MM in almost any aspect unless it's just a silty, dusty mess of a track...even then I'd still give the MM a go and let it drift a little.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:00 AM
Tech Prophet

Haha, no point in the MM vs RM debate. Most people who say MM works everywhere dont run on they types of track that RM shines. I have seen a local make the A main in stock and do very well with a clapped out B5RM. In the end, it is all about the driver
Old 06-05-2015, 09:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by VegasHB
Many say the mid motor car is a little harder to drive but from my experience it's massively easier to drive. Our local indoor track is medium bite clay but I find the MM very forgiving and easy to catch. You don't have the massive pendulum affect of the rear motor pulling you around corner exits. Just a different feel but much easier once you're use to it. Stick with MM in almost any aspect unless it's just a silty, dusty mess of a track...even then I'd still give the MM a go and let it drift a little.
I dont know how you setup your rear motor car, but atleast how I setup RM car you don't have any pendulum effect (it is generally front wheels that lose traction first)?

Generally agree what Socket said, but IMO for most people it is irrelevant what car you have. It is all about how it is setup. IE RM can be very agile (COG moved forward) if setup so and MM car can have massive rear wheel traction (If COG moved backwards). It is about extremes where other types car cannot do, but making setups like that is very rare.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:16 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Tbone17
I'd be interested in knowing what it would take, out of curiosity if nothing else.
The biggest thing is a small lipo. That by itself will get you almost there. After that a set of AKA evo wheels/tires would be worth another 40g. When the B5 series came out I weighed everything. Aluminum wheel nuts save 6, turnbuckles save a bit, aluminum screws were worth 20 or so I think, a slipper eliminator is worth 8-10. On top of all that there is some plastic that you could trim off the car without a negative impact to the way the car handles. The bottom line is the lipo and wheels/tires can get you there for around $100.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:28 AM
Tech Prophet

Lets put this RM vs mm into perspective. Cav can beat all of you with a RM car, thus you have not yet maximized the potential of the RM car.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:30 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
Socket is mostly correct about his opinions It seems that AE has chosen the RM car for some outdoor racing in the US. Nick Wautlet recently posted his setup sheet. Socket is correct, the RM car is "easier" to setup. I run on med-high and high bite tracks and prefer the MM car. Mostly for their flat jumping and lower rear bite.
You named dropped walnuts and didn't tell the full truth here.

Yes he ran a rear motor car at hot rod, yes he was hauling ass.

And yes he got beat by a mid motor car.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:30 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
Haha, no point in the MM vs RM debate. Most people who say MM works everywhere dont run on they types of track that RM shines. I have seen a local make the A main in stock and do very well with a clapped out B5RM. In the end, it is all about the driver
We all go round N round about this but I know that we experimented for a year and did all sorts of testing and found that the B5M out performs the B5R from wet dirt to sugared blue groove. We also did this with the RB6....same thing. We used about 6 cars and the drivers ranged from Sponsored drivers to me (not fast, not sponsored). We compared feel, lap times, race wins, series wins etc. I'm the first to admit that it wasn't very scientific and there was no way to prove the setups were all equal. All I will say is that there are no more RM cars on our track. I'll also agree that the fast guys still won all the time and when we got the cars all dialed in the lap times were still close except for the fastest guys. They really had significantly faster laps with MM when the track was wet. When traction is high I think its more about driver preference and style. If I give my sponsored buddy a clapped out rear motor car that has an ok set up on it he's still going to lap me at least once unless he's pounded a six pack first (which i do not condone at the track).
Old 06-05-2015, 09:37 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE
We all go round N round about this but I know that we experimented for a year and did all sorts of testing and found that the B5M out performs the B5R from wet dirt to sugared blue groove. We also did this with the RB6....same thing. We used about 6 cars and the drivers ranged from Sponsored drivers to me (not fast, not sponsored). We compared feel, lap times, race wins, series wins etc. I'm the first to admit that it wasn't very scientific and there was no way to prove the setups were all equal. All I will say is that there are no more RM cars on our track. I'll also agree that the fast guys still won all the time and when we got the cars all dialed in the lap times were still close except for the fastest guys. They really had significantly faster laps with MM when the track was wet. When traction is high I think its more about driver preference and style. If I give my sponsored buddy a clapped out rear motor car that has an ok set up on it he's still going to lap me at least once unless he's pounded a six pack first (which i do not condone at the track).
I didnt gain any time or consistency with B5M. But, I like how it feels on indoor clay tracks. Plus, I hate tearing up motors in RM configurations. But, if i start racing on outdoor tracks that are poorly maintained with inconsistent traction, I would run a B5 RM. Just because it is easier and less tire work. The tuning window for the MM is smaller and when the traction greatly changes throughout the day, the MM sufferers unless you are really on top of tires. The casual show up and race and go home guy will be better off with an RM car, imo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.