Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LeMans LMP1: 200mm Pan Class Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 09:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think you guys are putting the cart before the horse when you discuss different race formats before a specific set of chassis spec and/or rules have been agreed to.

Right now we only have one LMP style chassis and one LMP body on the market. We need to get people racing in considerable numbers for other manufacturers to get on board. We can get creative with different race formats once people are racing them regularly.

We need to agree on a size and spec for the chassis and bodies as well as wheels and tires so that there is consistency in the class. In this respect I would hope that any new manufacturer would stick to the chassis size and wheel mounting style put out by Speed Passion.

As far as different chassis are concerned, the SP LM body will not fit a WGT chassis-and WGT chassis use the wrong style wheels. You can however take most any current F1 chassis and mount SP's LM body and wheels and go racing-F1 cars are also already set up for 2s batteries and ESC's, so why exclude them when they can help fill up the entries?
Old 12-28-2013, 04:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Ed Delgado
I think you guys are putting the cart before the horse when you discuss different race formats before a specific set of chassis spec and/or rules have been agreed to.

Right now we only have one LMP style chassis and one LMP body on the market. We need to get people racing in considerable numbers for other manufacturers to get on board. We can get creative with different race formats once people are racing them regularly.

We need to agree on a size and spec for the chassis and bodies as well as wheels and tires so that there is consistency in the class. In this respect I would hope that any new manufacturer would stick to the chassis size and wheel mounting style put out by Speed Passion.

As far as different chassis are concerned, the SP LM body will not fit a WGT chassis-and WGT chassis use the wrong style wheels. You can however take most any current F1 chassis and mount SP's LM body and wheels and go racing-F1 cars are also already set up for 2s batteries and ESC's, so why exclude them when they can help fill up the entries?
Hi Ed, You are completely correct. Thanks for posting this. Regards
Norman2
Old 12-28-2013, 04:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Right now we only have one LMP style chassis and one LMP body on the market.
You would not consider other Lemans bodies already available?

http://www.rcmart.com/colt-m1136-200...y-p-19880.html

http://www.rcmart.com/colt-m1138-200...a-p-20337.html

http://www.rcmart.com/colt-m1141-200...c-p-32079.html

http://www.rcmart.com/trg3100-body-r...3-p-32058.html

Bodies will fit several of the F1 chassis's with a front bumper adapter.

http://www.rcmart.com/trg5094-bumper-p-33267.html

My local track has been running a Lemans class since mid 2013 once per month. Majority are an F103 based chassis with most popular of the above bodies being the TRG Cibie Royce. We have a couple of people racing the Tamiya Porsche 911 and Toyota GT1 bodies from the 1990s.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

We are discussing racing formats because we wanted more out of this class then another spec class. It's just open discussion and in my opinion doing nothing special with the format is boring and prohibits growth.

I do agree about making sure there are multiple chassis and bodies to choose from. I want to race this class just not as another spec class.

Incentivize me.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nrtv20
I wouldn't think a 21.5 2s would be faster then a 13.5 WGT car? I race F1 and a WGT would kick my butt.
If you are racing a narrow F1 on rubber tires, then you'll be slower. My numbers are for a 200mm chassis on foam tires (which are presently the only ones available for the LM1).
Old 12-28-2013, 09:48 AM
Tech Champion

My feeling really has been from the outset of this discussion to build the sales numbers for the LM1 chassis and get that going. We then can build the LMP1 class off of it and then maintain the LM1/LMPC class as the "spec/entry level" option while still using the format that nrtv posted previously
Old 12-28-2013, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
My feeling really has been from the outset of this discussion to build the sales numbers for the LM1 chassis and get that going. We then can build the LMP1 class off of it and then maintain the LM1/LMPC class as the "spec/entry level" option while still using the format that nrtv posted previously
There seem to be a number of us who don't want to use a spec chassis. I have nothing against SP or their beautiful LM1, I just don't want to be forced to use it.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:08 AM
Tech Addict

Default Bodies

Originally Posted by oldnwise
You would not consider other Lemans bodies already available?

http://www.rcmart.com/colt-m1136-200...y-p-19880.html

http://www.rcmart.com/colt-m1138-200...a-p-20337.html

http://www.rcmart.com/colt-m1141-200...c-p-32079.html

http://www.rcmart.com/trg3100-body-r...3-p-32058.html

Bodies will fit several of the F1 chassis's with a front bumper adapter.

http://www.rcmart.com/trg5094-bumper-p-33267.html

My local track has been running a Lemans class since mid 2013 once per month. Majority are an F103 based chassis with most popular of the above bodies being the TRG Cibie Royce. We have a couple of people racing the Tamiya Porsche 911 and Toyota GT1 bodies from the 1990s.
Actually Oldnwise, I was talking about LMP1 bodies and cars, the new modern style of prototype currently raced at LeMans and the WEC. Technically, there is no such thing as a "LeMans" body. There have been different styles and classes of GT and Prototype racecars raced at LeMans over the past thirty years and I when I speak of them, I refer to the class in particular that I am talking about. Specifically you have Group C and GTP, WSC, GT1 and LMP.

The bodies you listed I would not consider legal for this class, at least if we were talking about LMP, at least not on a nationals level or when drafting the class rules and specs. The first body you list is the Porsche 911GT198, a GT body. As a race director I might allow someone who shows up to race with one to race with it as it is somewhat similar in shape and wing configuration to LMP. The second and third body you list, Clot's Toyota GT1 and Porsche 962 I would not allow because of their "wedge" style tails. I don't even know what to tell you about the fourth body-it looks like an old TOJ Group 5 racecar from the late seventies-early eighties but am not sure-I definitely would not call it LMP. Once again, as a race director I would let someone race it but would suggest they come back with an LMP body if they want to continue racing in an LMP class.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:18 AM
Tech Addict

Default Race Format

We are discussing racing formats because we wanted more out of this class then another spec class. It's just open discussion and in my opinion doing nothing special with the format is boring and prohibits growth.

I do agree about making sure there are multiple chassis and bodies to choose from. I want to race this class just not as another spec class.

Incentivize me.
Don't get me wrong, I think your discussion of race formats is great and very creative. I just think this discussion should not get too far away from nailing down a specification for the type of chassis, body and wheels and tires used.

As far as different chassis go: you don't want to buy a SP LMP car? No problem, just convert an F1 chassis by buying a new bumper, body mounts, SP's wheels and tires and their LM-A body. I know that there are many WGT chassis and owners who might be interested in this class-to them I say lengthen your wheelbase to 270 to 280mm, adapt SP's wheels to your car and we have no problem.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:20 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by howardcano
There seem to be a number of us who don't want to use a spec chassis. I have nothing against SP or their beautiful LM1, I just don't want to be forced to use it.
Howard, please see my previous post.

I don't think the SP LMP chassis should be the only chassis allowed-it should be open to any chassis that is:

1. 200 to 205mm in width
2. 270mm to 280mm in wheelbase
3. Uses F1 style wheel mounting fr/rr or SP's wheels and tires
4. Can readily accept/mount SP's LM-A body.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

I don't think the SP LMP chassis should be the only chassis allowed-it should be open to any chassis that is:

1. 200 to 205mm in width
2. 270mm to 280mm in wheelbase
3. Uses F1 style wheel mounting fr/rr or SP's wheels and tires
4. Can readily accept/mount SP's LM-A body.
I agree! Specify the dimensions, weight, motor, battery, and rims/tires if desired. An approved body list would be fine, too. Then leave it up to the racer to use whatever fits the specifications.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have to agree, too!

You either make it a brand sponsored class like the LRP-HPI-Challenge or Tamiya Cup we have here in Germany, and let Speed Passion dictate the rules for a LeMans class (Lm1 chassis and Lm a body plus Speed Passion electronics);

or

you make it an open class, expressing dimensions, allowed chassis, motors, tires etc...

I for myself always prefer the last option as it gives everybody the freedom to race the material they have, without being forced to invest too much $$$. Again speaking for myself, I love the body (!), but don't like to buy the chassis as I already own a Tamiya F104v2. I think it would attract most people (and later manufacturers) if the rules melt down to a F1 direct drive chassis, the Lm-a body in a race livery, the Lm Speed Passion tires and a 21.5t motor powered by a blinky esc.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Don't get me wrong, I think your discussion of race formats is great and very creative. I just think this discussion should not get too far away from nailing down a specification for the type of chassis, body and wheels and tires used.

As far as different chassis go: you don't want to buy a SP LMP car? No problem, just convert an F1 chassis by buying a new bumper, body mounts, SP's wheels and tires and their LM-A body. I know that there are many WGT chassis and owners who might be interested in this class-to them I say lengthen your wheelbase to 270 to 280mm, adapt SP's wheels to your car and we have no problem.
I probably would/will get the Speed Passion LM-1 its comes with the right tires and body plus i don't have a WGT. Plus I already race a SP-1
Old 12-28-2013, 12:33 PM
Tech Addict

I probably would/will get the Speed Passion LM-1 its comes with the right tires and body plus i don't have a WGT. Plus I already race a SP-1
I probably will pick up an LMP1 too-when you consider what it costs to buy the body and wheels separately it makes sense to buy the complet kit. If I could I would buy two at a time just for the parts, extra tires and body.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:49 PM
Tech Champion

I think that both an LMPC/LM1/HPI Challenge style class for the LM1 with the LM-A body can coexist with an open LMP1 style class. having a class for the LM1 allows for a fairly low cost option for people that don't have a chassis that can be run in the LMP1 class. the people that have WGT and F1 cars that want to run in the LMP1 class can do just that (and can be spec'd appropriately) and for those that want to and dont have a chassis for the open class, can purchase an LM1 and a low cost motor/ESC set and race with equal chassis and not have to worry about having the biggest pocketbook. My point is that we don't want to lose what is a very solid chassis in the LM1 in an effort to get this class rolling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.