Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New nitro car!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 08:16 PM
Tech Master

Default New nitro car!

I just bought a "New" nitro car from my local hobby shop for $75. No one anywhere can tell me what it is, but the half manual I got with it says it is a G.V. Models Super Cobra. The engine in it is a .15 ZX. I thought that this engine was made by O.S, but when I sent them an email asking for confirmation, they denied producing it. The thing about the engine that fooled me was the O.S. Aircraft head and pipe. If it wasn't O.S, I don't know who it could have been! It runs great, and I ran plenty of gas through it in the past several days. As of right now, the pull starter is broken, and I am going to buy an O.S. CV .15 engine, so I don't put a lot of wear on an engine that I can't get parts for anymore. It only had about 5 tanks through it when I bought it, and after a little scrubbing, I got the engine 100% brand new again. The clutch was no good, so I modified a flywheel, and clutch bell to fit a new clutch I had laying around. The car was orifionally a 4WD off-road buggy, but the previous owner turned it into a 4WD rally car. The reason I bought it is because I like rally racing, so it just seemed right to add a little bit of WRC to my collection. It is fitted with an Alfa Romeo body, and tires unlike any I've ever seen. I took it down to the Salem Common, in Salem MA, where there is a 1+ mile long outer walkway that's about 10 ' wide, and nothing but fine gravel and dust. Wringing out the back end going around the long wide turns was the best thing in the world. I absolutly love this new car. It looks a lot like an older verson of a Duratrax Overdrive, with blue chassis plates, blue shock towers, blue threaded shocks, and a wrap around top plate, The seal was gone in the primer of the origional gas tank, so I temporarily replaced it with a Kyosho tank I had laying around. I have the pictures on a folder in my computer, I just have to upload them to the site. I hope to have the whole page done by tomorrow night at the latest. Until then, I would appreciate anyone giving me more information on the car or the engine.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:57 PM
Tech Initiate

pics would help

nice deal tho
Old 07-13-2005, 09:17 PM
Tech Master

Well, I have the pics on my computer, I just haven't got them on our website yet. Check back tomorrow night to see them, I'll post a link when it's all done.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:24 PM
Tech Master

I got the page done. It took me a while, but it's finally working. You can check it out on my Rides page. I'll post the link below.

www.TeamPlatinumRacing.com/Rides.html
Old 07-16-2005, 06:32 PM
Tech Master

No one got anything to add? After checking some things out, it could also be an early version of the Megatech Razor XT PRO. I also bought a new O.S. .15 CV-X, and man it really hauls. I have to use an HPI flywheel, clutch, and nut to make it work. The clutch stays engaged to the engine though, so they don't rotate independantly from each other. This problem started today during break in. Anyone got any clues as to what is going on?
Old 07-17-2005, 02:45 AM
Tech Master

Its a beast! along with your Grasshopper but i've never seen the GV before though.When was it made?

As for the clutch engaging at idle im pretty sure you have to back off on the idle screw.Engines at break-in change settings often.

Sean
Old 07-17-2005, 11:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Good deal. $75.It looks like it would be fun to drive. Nice collection too.

JatoFever
Old 07-17-2005, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

Well, the idle is fine, but even when it isnt running, turning the wheels results in the engine cranking over. It is like there is no clutch, just direct drive. It is really wierd.