Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
If you could ask Rick Wilson a question what would it be? >

If you could ask Rick Wilson a question what would it be?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you could ask Rick Wilson a question what would it be?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 07:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

[QUOTE=T. Hodge] I envision Joe Schmo going to a race and racing the open mod class and bring home a huge trophy saying he won the Mod nats...then a few months later he has 3 magazines to show all of his friends at work..."Look at me...I am in the magazine". How cool would that be?

Ya know I'm Joe Schmo, went to Novak in Sportman class this past Jan. My first ever big event after a few friends went the prior year they said race in this class and have some fun. I did. My goal was to make the a-main if possible, not only did I make the a main I almost TQ and I ended up winning Novak Sportman and I was in a magazine. How cool is that for my first time at a big event as the commercial says: PRICELESS. I still have yet to win at my local track as it is very competitive. So Vegas here I come.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:12 AM
Tech Champion

T.Hodge- Many of the racers get to race against the pros for 1-2 qualifiers before they get reshuffled. Some people actually like to race against them .Heck in1992 I got to race against my motor sponsor- Rick Hohwart. I thought I was much better than I was. I also got my smoked in Formaula One in Naples in 1997 by Joel Johnson driving a stock Kyosho car.he build at the track. I had a tricked out Tamiya. What do you learn at a race- just trying to follow the same lines in and out of the corners.I've seen how the prepare for each heat. That's what I've learned over the many years.That's why many people go to these races.Some go year after year to see how they have improved.
As for factory drivers you can look at my article coming out in the next rev-up- if you've got answers I'll be glad to bring them to what ever table I can. I've been around along time and I'll speak my mind as you can see.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by speedxl
cypress you said " I most certainly would! "
post edited to remove any further misinterpretations. You kill me Hector.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:42 PM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by BullFrog
T.Hodge- Many of the racers get to race against the pros for 1-2 qualifiers before they get reshuffled. Some people actually like to race against them .Heck in1992 I got to race against my motor sponsor- Rick Hohwart. I thought I was much better than I was. I also got my smoked in Formaula One in Naples in 1997 by Joel Johnson driving a stock Kyosho car.he build at the track. I had a tricked out Tamiya. What do you learn at a race- just trying to follow the same lines in and out of the corners.I've seen how the prepare for each heat. That's what I've learned over the many years.That's why many people go to these races.Some go year after year to see how they have improved.
As for factory drivers you can look at my article coming out in the next rev-up- if you've got answers I'll be glad to bring them to what ever table I can. I've been around along time and I'll speak my mind as you can see.
I am not saying that you can not race the Pro or Factory Class. That is 100% up to the individual. I feel that if a racer wants to race Brian Kinwald then let him. However I think he should also have a choice on what class he wants to race in the modified division.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

If I could ask Rick a question,It would be why should I want to be a member of Roar and Why would I want my track to be a "Roar" track,I have ask these questions and have NEVER had an answer.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:19 AM
Tech Champion

xxxkat just go to the ROAR site and you'll see the answer.Even though you and the rest out there complain - there are rules. With nothing what classes would you be running?Manufacturers are constantly making new vechicles. When Kyosho came out with the Lemans motors they had a 240 and 360. The 360 was illegal because of the larger can size. Associated had the skinny front tires on the off-road trucks. Look at the new monster trucks and the 1/18th trucks. Just how do you want to regulate things? What happened to the other organizations in the USA? If there wasn't ROAR would there be another organization - and everyone would still complain. If it was so easy to make a new organization why hasn't Trinity, Associated, Horizion (Losi) done so by now.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:55 AM
Tech Addict

Maybe because we expect the two organizations that we DO have that have been around for a while to actually do something...and dont tell me you need to vote because people stopped voting in ROAR elections because ROAR wasnt doing anything when they were taking the time to vote.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Bullfrog,Typical Roar answer,When ever anyone asks a question,you guys assume we are complaning.In my reply where do I come off like I'm complaning.. It is a legitimate question,I have been to the Roar site and no where does it state any reason for a track wanting to be a Roar track..None.I do own a track and so far I have found not one person from Roar willing to explain the advantages of being a Roar track..I carry my own insurance,I never wanted to force racers to join any "club".I'm starting to see advantages in NOT being associated with Roar..
Old 07-15-2005, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

Your question was answered
Old 07-15-2005, 04:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BullFrog
If it was so easy to make a new organization why hasn't Trinity, Associated, Horizion (Losi) done so by now.
while i don't care to get involved in the other parts of this discussion, i did want to respond to this.

the crown jewel of roar is the nationals. as long as roar controls the gateway to ifmar in america, it will continue to have the manufacturers participation and support. as a bi-product of this, manufacturers that wish to compete at the ifmar level must make products that conform to the roar specifications. as a result of this, other manufacturers that do NOT wish to compete at ifmar will still conform to roar specs in order to meet the principle of uniformity in racing.

others have tried to create competing organizations (street spec comes to mind). without the support (advertising, participation, etc) of multiple manufacturers, no one entity can do it alone. not to mention, how many 'nationals' are ran throughout the the US every year? roar's 'nationals' have an inherent prestige as they qualify for the generally accepted 'worlds' title. take away this factor, and the roar nationals, at least in my opinion, would be somewhat underwhelming when compared to races like the snowbirds.

this is in no way intended to bash roar. roar is ran by popular vote, if enough people cared enough to take action, things would change (not saying better or worse). roar is exactly where is should be based upon the choices of the majority of individuals who are willing to participate. i firmly believe that another organization would be pointless, although i could see where the success of another organization might change enough people's attitudes to effect change in the members running for, and elected to, roar.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:50 PM
Tech Addict

Who is "Rick Wilson"? Lol....
Old 07-15-2005, 05:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeff Brown
Is ROAR going to fund that move? Not everyone is a full time R/C racer 24/7 with a full salary.

If you have the Time, Skills and Support to Top 10 a Stock National you Have the Time, Skills and Support to Top 40 a Modified National. I have 2 Friends Curtis May and Mike Collins (Both Full Time Employees For Non RC Related Companies) That Qualified In the Top 40 at the ROAR Carpet Nationals. I am not Against, Fully Sponsored Guys Running Stock, Since it Seems to Be a Very Marketable Class. But, When is it Time To go to the Big Dog? I don't Think you need to be On a Teams Payroll to be Competitive at the Highest Level of RC Racing.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Some guys probably don't/won't move up b/c the prestige of a ROAR National Champion title is easier to cherry pick in the stock class.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pro4Capece
Some guys probably don't/won't move up b/c the prestige of a ROAR National Champion title is easier to cherry pick in the stock class.
I don't want to Call anyone a Cherry Picker, for wanting to Hang out in the Stock Class Forever. Because Alot of the Manufacturers Want/Insist The Team Guys to Run Stock, Since, It is Great Advertising. That is Why I think after a Top Ten Finish, It is Time, to Go up to Modified and let the next Batch of Guys come Up.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 380 (99%+)

Kevin Wilson? Who in the heck is Kevin Wilson? Didn't I graduate with a Kevin Wilson?

Anyway, great questions so far. I am assuming he is the president of ROAR right?

I like the idea that RobK had about not letting the top 20 guys from the mod nats to run in the stock nats. Stock, even at a National race, should be for the weekend racers, not full sponsored guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.