Novak GT7

Old 11-03-2002, 10:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

First I want to say I am a Novak man... been running Cyclones for a long time and I always have had great luck with them. Now I saw two GT7's fail Friday night, onroad touring car on carpet. One was my friends and it just melted the case to a blob of molten plastic, it was his second night of racing it. The other guy I know but not well, told me that if he hits a corner dot too hard it just shuts off. I saw it happen in the A main... he hit a dot while leading and the car just shut down.. everything works (servo etc) but no power to the motor... if he shuts it down for a min and turns it back on its fine... another guy came up to us while we were looking at the melted one and said his did the same thing (the shut down thing) but I didnt personaly see it happen... I think I will wait a little while before I buy one.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:34 AM
R/C Tech Founder

I am going to resurrect this thread to see if anybody else has experienced what I just did a few days ago.

Running a GT7 in a XXX-S, I experienced a whole night of glitches after not running that particular car for about a month. I tried all the usual stuff: swapped crystals, swapped motors, etc. Ended up even trying a friend's radio system, to no avail.

When the main rolled around, about 3 minutes into it (and still glitching here and there), the car's throttle just shut down. No hit to prompt it or anything, just let off to go into a turn, went back on, and nothing. Back in the pits, I was never able to get another throttle response from the GT7. Once again tried swapping radios, receivers, and so on, but got nothing. Steering was fine, but no throttle. Could not even get the lights to light on throttle or brake action. In other words, totally dead.

Swapped in another GT7 the next day and all was well. My theory is that there was a problem with the capacitor, since that could account for some of the glitching behavior (or so I think). I heard stories from a few at the track who had heard of similar problems. My main concern, of course, is that I did something wrong that might have led to this, and subsequently making sure I don't do the same thing again in the future.

I'm a Novak guy through and through, been that way for years. I don't have enough fingers to count the number of Cyclones and GT7s I own, and every one of my cars has a XXL in it. This is really the first instance I've had in recent memory of an ESC dying on me, aside from once when I let a friend borrow it and another time when my whole system shorted due to a faulty personal transponder.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:49 AM
Tech Master

Hi Shane. Greetings from Malta.

I suggest you get in touch with Tyree or Charlie at Novak.

I have always found them both very helpful and understanding.

I too use nothing but Novak.

Have you tried re-programming that GT7 from scratch? Charlie explained to me some time ago that the GT7 has something in it's innerds that cuts off all power to the motor if it senses any malfunction. It could be something like that but Charlie is the man to ask.

Regards and good luck.

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:01 AM
R/C Tech Founder

Yea, I have been meaning to send him a PM or an email about it; I have some other busted Novak stuff and I figured I'd send him a big message all at once and hope that they'll take pity on a poor R/C webmaster.

I tried doing what I could to reset my GT7; I followed all the procedures in the manual and whatnot. I also replaced the signal wire between the receiver/ESC with another in case that had gone bad, but nothing changed.

Maybe there is still some trick to it that I am unaware of...

I have seen others at my track have a problem with the GT7 where the throttle would cut out, but if they turned it off and back on again, all would work fine. Usually this only happened once or twice ever, with no further problems to speak of.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

Hey Guys,

Send the ESC in, I'll talk a look at it. It sounds like your ESC has something wrong. Email me if you need any assistance, we have Service Forms in the SERVICE section of our website that will help with turn around time. You can send them to my attention if you like.

Thanks
Charlie Suangka
Novak Electronics,
[email protected]
Old 01-23-2003, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

WOW............HOW'S THAT FOR SERVICE!!!!!!!!1

You see why I stick to Novak.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:38 AM
Tech Adept

Hi Guys I'm From Australia and have just purchased a GT7 for my Losi XXX-S, i use a Ko Propo Mars R radio and Hitec 5625 MG servo and a GT7 and have not ever had any problems with it.
I mounted it so that it sits with the wires next to the motor and the capacitor towards the outside and its a very tight fit, i had to mount the power switch just on top of the letter "G" , before this I used to use the nosram dominator but i find that this ESC feels like it has more punch in setting 4 then i would have dreamed of with the nosram, and i also race stock
Old 01-24-2003, 06:51 AM
Tech Adept

Well, I tried the GT7 in my XXX and XXXs, it glitched in both cars. I just sent it back to Novak, I'll report back if they find any problems.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:18 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Originally posted by j0n0
I mounted it so that it sits with the wires next to the motor and the capacitor towards the outside and its a very tight fit, i had to mount the power switch just on top of the letter "G"
That's exactly how I have my GT7s mounted in my Losi cars. I had the problem I mentioned earlier, but my others are working fine in both stock and mod.

Charlie, I will get a message off to you over the weekend. Thanks for the support!
Old 01-24-2003, 01:08 PM
Tech Adept

OH well it could be the track you know

Some times tracks glitch more then others on differenct frequencies etc. i dunno it could just be here but i've never had it
Old 01-24-2003, 10:12 PM
Tech Adept

Default GT7 is awesome.....

Eventhough this is one of the most advanced ESC in the market, it also is one of the easiest to program. Set up was a breeze and the size of this thing is really small. Space in the TC3 is scarce and this makes the GT7 perfect for this type of set up. It is very smooth and controllable if not scary precise. You can dial in more or less from acceleration to brakes. I chose setting #4, if I'm not mistaken that is the Stock aggresive mode. The ESC is controlling a P2K Pro 27 turn. By the way I also have the M8 switch. Coupled with the Novak XXTRA receiver switching channels is so convenient. My orange trio sure packs a 1-2-3 punch.
Old 01-25-2003, 12:17 AM
Tech Master

Hi Guys. Greetings from Malta.

JONO has a very valid point. I'm not trying to defend Novak on this point but i read an article in one of the UK magazines a while ago which gave some valid reasons for interference and one of them was parked cars opposite the drivers rostrum.

You can understand it of course. We have just that scenario at our track. Not only parked cars with their radios on, but also most of the guys pitting, charging etc right the other side of the track, bang opposite the drivers rostrum.

So whatever electrics you use, be they orange, blue, green or polka dot, outside factors like these could be responsible for your glitching.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 01-25-2003, 02:32 AM
R/C Tech Founder

At our outdoor track that we run when the weather's nice in the summertime, we have had to make people park their cars further away from the racing area, especially if they are using their cars as a pit area (DC chargers, generators, etc). If we don't, then we often have a bunch of people reporting radio hits in those areas.

It's doubly weird because somebody may be experiencing a radio problem one heat, and then fine the next without changing a thing.
Old 01-25-2003, 04:28 AM
Tech Master

Hi Shane.

Just the problem we have too.

Luckily it effects the guys with cheaper radio gear most. But yes it is a problem, and as you say, it's intermittent.

Our pitting area is just across the drivers rostrum and race control so yes we get it all too.

It's cold and overcast this weekend so it looks like on of those weekends where i can't have fun with the RC cars or my motorbike. And there isn't even any motorsport on telly!

Regards

Joe from not so sunny Malta.
Old 01-26-2003, 08:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

charlie I have A cyclone 1 speed control that causes a glitch in the throtle when I swich it out for A nother cyclone glich goes away can you still fix or do you upgrade I love novak products so I have been loking to buy A gt7 should I send the cyclone in or trash it. thanks jack

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.