Motor tuning for a newbie........

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motor tuning for a newbie........

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 06:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Well it seems as if this thread is not just helping me, but some others too Could someone post some type of glossary of terms for me. Like what is ________, and what is its purpose in the motor? Sure would help out alot.......

David
Old 07-11-2005, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

dave
good to see newbies interested in motor rebuild rather than burning the heck out of them, for a wealth of information goto www.rccars.com and check out the motor forum. there is so much info on this site it would take months to read it all. but not to worry it is all divided into specific sections(brushes, springs ect..) all the best motor rebuilders help answer questions such as big jim eddieo and countless others, this info will better help understand how motors works hope this helps
Old 07-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DinoXXX
Whew, that Fantom is kinda pricey , aint it? What can you guys tell me about brush serrators? Is there one that can do the trinity cross cuts? Once again guys, THANKS for the info.
I wouldn't worry about cutting brushes, and other advanced stuff like that for a while. Until you can build a perfect motor every time like the article, you won't be able to notice subtle things like brush cuts. Save your money, there are tons of things you can do to a motor that are very subtle, but you need the basics first.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well, I've got years of experience, I was just out of it for the last 10 years, just trying to catch up, they didn't have brush serrators when I raced, wecut'em w/ dremels. I know that a regular horizontal serrated brush doesn't make sense to me, it will and does cut grooves into the comm reqiuring more comm cuts and shorting the comm life", now a cross cut will evenly distibute the force of the springs and arcing across the entire face. Just wanted to know if anyone knew of a serrator that will cut cross cuts, seems like a difficult cut to me. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

I'm pretty sure that there isn't a cross cut serrator made that I'm aware of,and actually some motors prefer the horizontal serrations it just depends on the motor.When I'm working on motors the last thing I'm thinking about is comm life,I'm looking at getting the most power possible out of the motor.If you want to really get into building motors go to rccars.com like was said above,it is a site specifically for motor guru's,unfortunatly Big Jim died a few weeks ago but you can still read all the info,it goes into some serious detail and theory on motors.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Dino:
Sorry, I thought you were the same as the first post. If you are looking to use a serrator, just make sure it can cut other patterns too. Thee serrator is only good for breaking in the brushes faster but actually will be hard on the comm since it archs more. Don't know of one that will cross cut.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well, looks like I'll have to experiment, maybe running a machine screw along the side, actually running the brush along the screw, I guess. Well, I'll try and get back to ya'll and let ya know how it works. I'm off to find some cheap bulk brushes LOL
Old 07-11-2005, 06:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Lathe bit choices =====\

One more question for discussion..
Other than the aspect that a diamond bit doesn't wear out like carbide, why not a carbise bit? I know a diamond puts a cleaner finish, but wouldn't that be negated as soon as your done breaking in the brushes? I figure after a few min.s of break in time one couldn't tell if I had cut the comm w/ a diamond or carbide bit. Seems that I can get what 5 carbide bits for the price of 1 diamond. I'm sure 5 carbides would last longer than 1 Diamond bit. What do ya guys think?
Old 07-11-2005, 06:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Daveb4ebm, Sorry for taking over your Thread, it just brought up some questions I had.....

Heres a glossory for you, hope it helps...http://www.rcracingusa.net/electricmotor.htm

Last edited by DinoXXX; 07-11-2005 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

As long as you don't mind sharpening bits all the time go with the carbide but I have better things to do than spending time sharpening my lathe bits thus I went with two diamonds,one for a spare in case I chip one and have to send it off to have relapped.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Not a problem Dino, I'm learning too, so keep the questions a coming, and lets kep this thread alive Thanks everyone for replying, and for the great links.

David
Old 07-12-2005, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Actually, you can get a lot more than 5 carbides vs. 1 diamond bit. I just bought 20 carbides from Enco.com for $1.19 ea. I've used my first bit about 15-20 times before I felt it was getting too dull. At that price, I throw the dull ones away.

Enco.com
Old 07-12-2005, 08:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Are these bits universal fit for the different brand lathes, or do certain ones take certain bits?

David
Old 07-12-2005, 10:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

The bits are left and right hand cut depending on your lathe.Hudy cuts from right to left.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

OK, here's another one for discussion. Deans plugs or hardwire? I have always hardwired, so it's "hardwired" into my brain and I will continue to do so. but I'd like to hear everyone take on this one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.