Starter Box

Old 07-09-2005, 01:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Starter Box

Hey all, There are so many starter boxes out there and i am sure they all do a great job, i am looking at getting one and i am not sure which would be the best to get. Any ideas on which one would be great. I have A V-OneRR Evo if it helps at all.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:24 AM
Tech Master

i've used quite a few starter boxes in the past....and the one i always end up using is the AE/TT one.....run off 2 stick packs of 12v, can start cars with engine in any configuration....and the TT one (same as AE) is only £50 and i think it is only $50 in the US aswell....bargain
Old 07-09-2005, 07:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

what do you look for a good starter box?
Old 07-09-2005, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

The TTR/AE box is a very good one. The OFNA stailess steel box is very similar, but is slightly larger and will accept a sealed lead/acid battery. Will also accept stick packs.
Integy also has a nice box with the same sort of drive system, for less money.
Things to look for in a box are, sturdy alignment pegs, strong drive system. I like the stick pack power option. It makes for a lightweight box that can be recharged quickly.
Best way to set up alignment pegs is, remove engine so you can sight directly through the slot in chassis. Keep adjusting pegs until the wheel comes up as far as possible through the chassis when pushed down.
I have sold hundreds of starter boxes over the years, and many times people have come back asking for a more powerful box. Stating that this one is not strong enough to start my engine! In EVERY case the problem was mis-alignment of pegs, allowing the wheel to graze the edge of the chassis slot!
I tell them I do not have a box powerfull enough to start their chassis(I love being a smart-ass)!
Old 07-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

I use a True Start Universal starter box and am very pleased with it.
It`ll allow you to run either stick packs or a 12v gel cell, and allows the starter wheel to be mounted in both directions so it`ll do both shaft and belt cars.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Tech Adept

The BEST starterbox would have to be this one.

RTR version: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHUD0&P=7

Regular: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHUC9&P=7

I'd get the RTR w/ 12V cell.

That thing will go for months without charging.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:52 AM
Tech Regular

What I look for in a starter box is one that uses a 740 series motor. The ones with 2 540 series motors and gear reduction just dont have the poop. The one I have now is a SVM Crono, been a very good box but it is not avaiable any more in on road configuration. I know some of the Ofna boxes use a 740 motor and one of those will probably be my next box.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

the best box is old reliable ofna box. thats it!!
Old 07-15-2005, 08:37 AM
Tech Adept

I use the AE starter box and I love it it starts my mugen so it should start your kyosho.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

what type of starter box can be use for the 1/10 and 1/8 scale?
Old 07-15-2005, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I use the ofna 12V single motor one (pink purple one). I always hear about the dual can motors not working out so great. Only problem with mine is its really heavy and wont fit into my ofna pit bag, since the single motor pokes out the side....

Otherwise my STS motor wehn first trying to start up could just barely get it going. Luckily I have this thing or otherwise I probably would have had some trouble getting it going with a weaker box.

I think im going to soon just make this my home starter for starting up new hard motors and such and will probably get a lighter more compact one for the track / pit bag after my motors are tuned they are easy to start and dont require a large power source since they dont need to keep the juice going for awhile, unlike a new motor might.

The other fuss about mine is the r40 2speed gears will rub the starter box and they are actually quite worn. So a new set im sure is going to dig into it if im not careful.

So Id probably also like to get a starter box that keeps the chassis farther from it.

The other problem with mine is. The single motor for my XXX-NT is very close to the wheels...