Like Tree3Likes

Team Associated TC6.2 Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 07:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (94%+)

Originally Posted by ViperZ
^^^ That's intense

So this fan situation. That it's a common failure, what's a person to do? Get a motor heat sink mounted one like I have on my TC6.1?

I picked up a replacement Muchmore at my LHS, however it was not a thick. It seems to have a similar RPM by sound, however I don't think it moves quite as much air. I also ordered a few Yeah Racing Tornados to have on hand as replacements.

For the Muchmore, I placed a small 1mm washer between the fan mount and the fan. I may try a 3mm. This should keep the fan blades from tagging the mount, which is what I'm sure happened last time.

1mm spacer

Compared to the Associated fan

I readjusted my chassis to Cartwright's settings, even though I'll have to do it all over once the Yokomo springs arrive. Surprisingly I wasn't too far off, with exception of the droop. Seems I had more droop than the 5.5 as I set it up as a ratio of ride height, as instructed by a fellow member. It was about 7-8mm

How long have you had your 6.2? Looks very well taken car of.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

On a different note, what brand is that setup station? Am loving the idea of not having to measure the front toe on top

Ed
Old 11-01-2014, 04:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ivan Dickson
How long have you had your 6.2? Looks very well taken car of.
Thanks! I've had the car for a few months now, however just started running it.

Originally Posted by Edwin Pibal
On a different note, what brand is that setup station? Am loving the idea of not having to measure the front toe on top

Ed
Thanks! It's an Integy Universal Station. I really like it! I find it allows you to make toe adjustments with out the toe gauge getting in the way, or having to remove it to gain access to the toe links. Plus I like that it's made of aluminum, rather than clear plastic.

Last edited by ViperZ; 11-01-2014 at 05:31 AM.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Three chassis shootout

After three days of testing the 6.2 and the T4'15 I want to share my experiences. The 6.1WC was tested last week already.

The fastest laps were: 10.3s for the 6.1, 10.0s for the 6.2 and 10.1s for the Xray. This seems to show a clear winner, but I am not sure about it. The 6.2 did its best time on thursday and was able to perform two 10.0, around ten 10.1 and a lot of 10.2.

Today the I drove an unchanged setup and could only manage some 10.2 laps. I then changed to the Xray; same battery, same tires, same esc and same motor. Motor and tires beeing identical.
The T4'15 was instantly easier to drive. I came off the track with a lot of 10.3s and very constant times between 10.4-10.5. After a few changes I had the Xray down to a fastest 10.1 several 10.2s evenly spread on the run and a lot of 10.3s.

So today the T4 was the fastest. Not sure what was up with the 6.2. While the Xray seems to have the potential to be a little faster, the 6.2 is at its limit now. The Xray can be better around a tenth/lap is my guess. Then we have hit a stalemate which is maybe just my limit as a driver.

The main difference for me is the setup work that was needed to achieve these laptimes. The Xray took a lot of less time and is very easy to drive, the car on track even looks more relaxed while the 6.2 looks flatter (less roll) and more agile.
What I do now: The 6.1 will become a beautiful BMW M3 E30 (again) to have fun with my non racing friends. The 6.2 will race the LRP-HPI-Challenge next weekend with the T4'15 as backup car.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:42 PM
Tech Champion

Smile

These times are pretty much identical, and small differences in feel does not any chassis better than the other... It can be anything from different track temps to driver focus, but I doubt it has solely to do with the chassis....
Old 11-01-2014, 01:56 PM
jpx
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by wtcc
... The 6.2 will race the LRP-HPI-Challenge next weekend with the T4'15 as backup car.
Please let me know your statement after the Challenge-weekend!
Old 11-01-2014, 04:15 PM
Tech Addict

Seems all 3 cars are pretty close, leaving it to the driver....
Old 11-01-2014, 08:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks! I've had the car for a few months now, however just started running it.

Thanks! It's an Integy Universal Station. I really like it! I find it allows you to make toe adjustments with out the toe gauge getting in the way, or having to remove it to gain access to the toe links. Plus I like that it's made of aluminum, rather than clear plastic.

thank you for the link!, I have been using a hudy for ages now, and feel that setup station requires much less fiddeling to get things setup.

ed
Old 11-02-2014, 12:59 AM
jpx
Tech Adept

After three days of testing the 6.2 and the T4'15 I want to share my experiences. The 6.1WC was tested last week already.
Would you mind posting the setups you used - for all 3 of them?
Old 11-02-2014, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

So I bought a used 6.2 and I have gone through it and replaced stuff. Almost got it ready to go, but I have a few questions. To the RSD Aluminum chassis users: What kind of strapping tape are you using for the batteries? Mine tore after a slight bump, I used to use the same stuff on carbon chassis all the time, but I don't think it is going to work here. Also, any thing else I can use to keep the battery in place better, since the kit lipo braces don't fit the RSD chassis. If you use the light weight arms, what is a good starting place for setup? The geometry looks slightly different.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:16 PM
Tech Adept

Awesome, Thanks for posting in Andrew! Hmmm, I'll have to check to be sure I did it right.

So a more aggressive set-up would be what? Higher rate springs?
Lower roll centers and a few other odds and ends. Just looking to carry more corner speed. The setup I ran last night was pretty fast and reset my track record. I had someone else try the same setup in the main and they were very happy with it also.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

The fastest laps were: 10.3s for the 6.1, 10.0s for the 6.2 and 10.1s for the Xray. This seems to show a clear winner, but I am not sure about it. The 6.2 did its best time on thursday and was able to perform two 10.0, around ten 10.1 and a lot of 10.2.

Today the I drove an unchanged setup and could only manage some 10.2 laps. I then changed to the Xray; same battery, same tires, same esc and same motor. Motor and tires beeing identical.
The T4'15 was instantly easier to drive. I came off the track with a lot of 10.3s and very constant times between 10.4-10.5. After a few changes I had the Xray down to a fastest 10.1 several 10.2s evenly spread on the run and a lot of 10.3s.

So today the T4 was the fastest. Not sure what was up with the 6.2. While the Xray seems to have the potential to be a little faster, the 6.2 is at its limit now. The Xray can be better around a tenth/lap is my guess. Then we have hit a stalemate which is maybe just my limit as a driver.

The main difference for me is the setup work that was needed to achieve these laptimes. The Xray took a lot of less time and is very easy to drive, the car on track even looks more relaxed while the 6.2 looks flatter (less roll) and more agile.
What I do now: The 6.1 will become a beautiful BMW M3 E30 (again) to have fun with my non racing friends. The 6.2 will race the LRP-HPI-Challenge next weekend with the T4'15 as backup car.
Not sure what surface your testing on, but tracks typically get better later in the day which could be good for well more than a tenth... When you factor how close you are in lap times between the two cars you could look into the price of replacement/tuning parts and AE should be a clear winner there.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:54 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Edwin Pibal
thank you for the link!, I have been using a hudy for ages now, and feel that setup station requires much less fiddeling to get things setup.

ed
The Hudy is the best they say! Nice kit!

Originally Posted by A_Cartwright
Lower roll centers and a few other odds and ends. Just looking to carry more corner speed. The setup I ran last night was pretty fast and reset my track record. I had someone else try the same setup in the main and they were very happy with it also.
Sounds like a good set-up Andrew! So what is required to get a lower roll center? Sorry if that's a newb type of question, but I am one

I had a practice session today with the car set up to your posted Set-up Sheet. It ran very well, and with some minor adjustments to the TX radios settings, I was cutting much more consistent laps, with much lower lap times than last outing! I'm getting faster

I worked on my VTA car as well, although I didn't run it yet, I was just getting it set up. I'm really liking the look of this car and can't wait to run it!

Applying a bit more drag brake, helped me out on the TC6.2

To make up for the thinner replacement fan, I made a shroud. It seems to help as the temps were around 134F

Ready to roll!

Setting up the droop on the VTA

The TC6.1 as VTA
Old 11-03-2014, 11:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Randy Caster
Not sure what surface your testing on, but tracks typically get better later in the day which could be good for well more than a tenth... When you factor how close you are in lap times between the two cars you could look into the price of replacement/tuning parts and AE should be a clear winner there.
so when u coming out to TQ and try out your 6.2? I'm interested in the set up you end up using!
Old 11-04-2014, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trilerian
So I bought a used 6.2 and I have gone through it and replaced stuff. Almost got it ready to go, but I have a few questions. To the RSD Aluminum chassis users: What kind of strapping tape are you using for the batteries? Mine tore after a slight bump, I used to use the same stuff on carbon chassis all the time, but I don't think it is going to work here. Also, any thing else I can use to keep the battery in place better, since the kit lipo braces don't fit the RSD chassis. If you use the light weight arms, what is a good starting place for setup? The geometry looks slightly different.
Make sure you file the slots slightly, the edges are not quite sharp, but putting a chamfer in them saves the tape.

Are you running asphalt or carpet ?

A good start for me is:
Front:
Front pins all the way narrow it the front, C hole on lower arm.
3x1.15 pistons 40 wt all around
Yoke Blue or RSD light blue spring for carpet HPI Silver or RSD gold for asphalt
Wheelbase with 4.5mm behind front arm. (I think)
Short camber link 2mm under link inside 1mm outside
1mm under all suspension mounts
Yellow swaybar

Rear
FR pins ( . ) ( . )
RR pins ( . ) ( . )
C hole on lower arm
3x1.15 piston 40wt oil
3000 wt in diff
Short link +3 outside +1 inside
1mm under all suspension mounts
Same springs as front
White swaybar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.