Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Indoor carpet - Track building materials

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Tech Adept

Default Indoor carpet - Track building materials

Hi guys, Sorry to repeat a thread that I know will of been run in the past, but I'm hoping I could get some advice on the materials used to build corners for indoor carpet track layouts.

We currently have used white plastic bent around on the edges of black drain tubing. The stuff we have is a really brittle and shatters too easily.

Is there a certain type of plastic to use that is much stronger than others, and what dimensions do you use?

Do people pack the corners with foam?

Any other types of corners made out of other material?

thanks a lot!

Andy
Old 11-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

We are currently using old plow disks to form corners and it has helped alot. Track changes are quicker and crashes are less costly (fewer broken parts, easier on the bodies).

Previously we had 90* wooden arches that worked pretty well but were harder to move around and more destructive on bodies.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

if you look on the thread from the Halloween race from the Gate, their track boards and corners are terriffic. Very easy on the cars, they don't move, and the provide excellent visual definition for the track layout. I'm not the only one who attended that race who was commenting on how nice the Gate's layout boards and their soft corners were. Much better than dots and better even than the somewhat costly plastic clicktrack barriers.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by vafactor
if you look on the thread from the Halloween race from the Gate, their track boards and corners are terriffic. Very easy on the cars, they don't move, and the provide excellent visual definition for the track layout. I'm not the only one who attended that race who was commenting on how nice the Gate's layout boards and their soft corners were. Much better than dots and better even than the somewhat costly plastic clicktrack barriers.
We use a stack of 2x4s laid flat for the boards, with 3" wide by 1/4" thick LDPE strips 8' long for the flappers. Be forewarned that a 4x8 sheet of 1/4" thick LDPE isn't cheap, but your racers will thank you. I seem to recall that it is about $130 a sheet, but the stuff is practically indestructible. We also use 2 wedge shaped shims (for shimming door frames, etc) from Home Depot covered with thin piece of aluminum sheet to ease the abrupt transition from 2x4 to flapper. Flappers are secured to boards using pre-drilled, countersunk drywall screws. Boards are connected to each other using overlapped ends, with 3/8" bolts and T nuts.

Wood Shims:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...0#.UnrVp-IwIS4

I'll have to get a few pictures tomorrow night of the board ends to make it clearer.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Many years ago we used discarded escalator handrail. At the time, it was free for the taking whenever the local escalator service company replaced worn handrail (which was quite often). I don't know if they recycle the stuff now, or still just throw it in the trash.

The handrail was heavy, so it didn't move too much, but still had enough give to absorb some impacts. One nice thing about it was that it was easy to form sweeping corners, as opposed to straight lines and sharp corners like with 2x4's. But it did need to be faced with some type of thin plastic, since tires had good traction on it (when a car brushed the wall, it wouldn't slide off, it would just stop dead).
Old 11-07-2013, 06:04 PM
Regional Moderator

Pictures of track boards

Old 11-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Regional Moderator

A shot of the track with multiple flappers

Old 11-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Very nice!!
Old 11-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Tech Master

Don't forget the 3-in-1 oil and gauze pads.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:20 AM
Tech Adept

We use old fire hose filled with sand. It makes good flowing track as you can bend it curve to any line you like. But you need to seal the end's so the sand do,s not come out.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

CRC's Clik Trak works really well. It's light, easy on cars and clicks together fast for making quick but professional layouts. Used at the Snowbirds, IFMAR World Championships and other large events, Clik Trak is again back in production. We had a tooling issue, but now fixed with our first production due in stock in a few weeks.

Check it out here.

New 2014 pricing and kit sizes will be posted soon.

Originally Posted by cyclone
Hi guys, Sorry to repeat a thread that I know will of been run in the past, but I'm hoping I could get some advice on the materials used to build corners for indoor carpet track layouts.

We currently have used white plastic bent around on the edges of black drain tubing. The stuff we have is a really brittle and shatters too easily.

Is there a certain type of plastic to use that is much stronger than others, and what dimensions do you use?

Do people pack the corners with foam?

Any other types of corners made out of other material?

thanks a lot!

Andy