Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6 minute Roar Stock

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

RCCadet, used to race at Mooresville (indoor), Chapel Hill (outdoor), Virginia Beach(in and outdoor), and Hamton(indoor) with my Touring Car. Off Road it's Rosewood (indoor) or Stoney Point (outdoor). But anyhow, were you the one that race Chapel Hill Last year in stock class with the XRay and MVP? I remember some guy that said he will come back down from Texas to race, but hasn't yet. Well Chapel Hill doesn't exist anymore. There is a new permanent asphalt track in Durham (chapel hill club/racers moved to this new location). We just finished up our points series this year. I took home Stock Touring with my 414M2 and TC3. And I was 2nd in Mod with my TC3 (missed a race) . Anyhow the Durham track is nice. Race every Sunday alternating between Gas one Sunday and Electric the next. Also there will be a new permanent asphalt track in Goldsboro (Rosewood) soon. Just waiting on the contractor to pave (been raining everyday here). Come on out if you are around!

Jimmy Mac
Old 09-03-2002, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

That's me Jimmy, I was the one that turned up one day. Did you have a Yok back then? I recall that day.....I snagged a thin spike holding the pipes in place, I was coasting not watching my car waiting for you and the other guy. When I let one car go by and took off after him, I noticed how badly I screwed up. I bent the rear pivot pin and fought to keep the car driving straight. I held on to second place.....should have kept first.....bummer.

I plan to make it out there this year to race on the new perm track. Yeah that MVP was a Lightspeed motor......it was a fast motor, wasn't it.....

Last edited by RCCadet; 09-03-2002 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-03-2002, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Bearings in stock motors....
Well let's see-

Pros-
1) less heat buildup
2) one less variable that would make stock racing a more even field
3) motors would last longer
4) motors would be more efficient
5) motors would make a hair more power
6) would be one less way for people to cheat on the club level

Cons-
1) would cost the manufacturers $0.50 to $1.00 per motor more to produce... (I'm sooo upset)
2) we would have to buy some bearings for our current stock motors

Sounds like a great idea to me!!!
Old 09-04-2002, 09:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Don't you guys remember when they went from 4 min heats to 5min. 2000 batteries just came out. Many club racers was running 5 min heats with 1700 and less batteries. Today 6 min heats would be no problem with the "average" battery at most clubs. Longer heats = more fun, and more racing for you $10 race fee.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:57 PM
Regional Moderator

Default Bearings and 6 Minute runs

I'm all for it, it would make for even playing field.

It's getting where someone will have to say when. This use to be a family oriented hobby, now it's a funded oriented hobby. The ones with the deepest pockets, not necessarily the skills, win. How long have the 2400's been out before the envelope was pushed to 3000 and how long after that did the 3300 come out. Soon we'll be strapping D size batteries to this kits. Enjoy racing because you like to, if you win in the process great you had a good day, if you loose oh well at least you had fun racing.
Old 09-04-2002, 02:11 PM
Tech Master

I'm for it all, bring it on. Especially bearings in stockers.
Old 09-04-2002, 04:25 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Bearings and 6 Minute runs

Originally posted by Mike F
I'm all for it, it would make for even playing field ... This use to be a family oriented hobby, now it's a funded oriented hobby. The ones with the deepest pockets, not necessarily the skills, win.
...and surely six minute races play straight back into the hands of the guys with the big pockets.

I think most of us agree that a stock motor, geared right, only needs about 2000mAh to run a 5 minute race.
Old 09-04-2002, 05:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Sigearhead........I like the ooooops I left out Illinois.....

I say keep it at 5 minutes.
Old 09-04-2002, 08:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

RCCadet, yeah I was the one with the Yokomo Special back then. Took the early lead in the main and then got some nitro fumes in my eyes and that was that, you and Steve went on to take 1 and 2. Durham is much better than Chapel Hill. Remember Chapel Hill was only 4 minute races and only one qualifier and then the mains. Well it's now 5 minute races with 3 qualifiers and then the mains. Power at the track. Soon to be hobbyshop at the track. Personal transponders welcome.

Let me know when you plan on coming down and I'll let you know what's up. We (the fast guys ) run GM3's down here. I did run a P2K2 that was doin pretty good as well. But not as fast as my GM3's. We have a new "local" OEM motor builder here. He builds GM3's, MVP's, Reedy Ti's... whatever else. I sold him my Fantom Dyno.

Anyhow, you can run Foams too. I ran rubbers in stock and Mod. Was able to get out some record laps. But glitches caused me to lose out. I'll be racing Foams to keep ahead at the next race.

Well anywho, I think Bearings should be allowed in Stock motors. Bushings should be a thing of the past. I'm still for 6 minutes in Touring Class. Just for the fun of racing.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Bearings and 6 Minute runs

Originally posted by sosidge

...and surely six minute races play straight back into the hands of the guys with the big pockets.

I think most of us agree that a stock motor, geared right, only needs about 2000mAh to run a 5 minute race.
Of course! Geared right, you can run a 5 minute race with 1700s. Geared right you can run 5 minutes with 1400s.

Do I WANT to run 5 minutes with old red 1400s? Different question. Ummmmmm, No.
Old 09-06-2002, 04:32 AM
Tech Elite

When I say geared right, I mean geared to be fast, and geared not to cook the comm and brushes (which just makes you slow by the end of the run anyway).

I can't think of any tracks where you need 3000's to make a stock competitive for 5 minutes, but I can see it becoming a real possibility if you run 6 minutes.
Old 09-06-2002, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

It's a definite problem around here. If I gear the car to run at competitive speed, my 2K's drop badly between 4 and 5 minutes (around a sec a lap) although they do make the last minute.

This is much the same at any of the 3 or 4 tracks that I run at here in Southern Cal.