Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MTX-3

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 02:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Setups

Anyone know where i can get some setups? Or does anyone have some they would like to share.
Old 09-07-2003, 02:30 PM
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

www.mugenseiki.com

THey have some setups which work quite well
Old 09-07-2003, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

I run a one way and I use my brakes.

Just set the brake to where they just don't lock up the wheels and get the Teflon brake pads.

You would be amazed how much brake you can put down at the end of a straight on a high bite track with foams.

1/8th scale and 235mm do it all day long.
Old 09-07-2003, 06:09 PM
B
Tech Master

I use my brakes all the time too

But when the traction is poor, you wont get as strong braking power
Old 09-07-2003, 06:36 PM
Tech Addict

the teflon pads come in handy when you want to use brakes with oneway
Old 09-07-2003, 06:46 PM
B
Tech Master

Originally posted by Fire
the teflon pads come in handy when you want to use brakes with oneway
how so?

I know that the brakes will not suddenly "lock up" when using the teflon pads

but can you exercise greater braking power when using these pads?
Old 09-07-2003, 06:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by B
how so?

I know that the brakes will not suddenly "lock up" when using the teflon pads

but can you exercise greater braking power when using these pads?

provides a smoother braking action.
it allows me to find the sweet spot for braking unlike the stock pads where its difficult to set the brake especially with front one-way...i.e you either set it too much brake or too little brake when you need more...
Old 09-07-2003, 07:02 PM
Tech Addict

exactly

the "will not suddently lock up" part is the key
Old 09-07-2003, 08:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Brakes

OK lets dispell this myth that you can't use brakes with a one-way... I use brakes in almost every corner.. To go fast you must (by fast I mean nationals type fast)... By using brakes like this I was able to qualify 3rd at the nats and (due to a poor choice of a tire change in warm up) finish 5th in the main.

Remember most radios have a end point adjustment or throw adjustment..You need to use this everytime you run your car.. In warm up you check your brakes and adjust them as needed (as to not spin your car out when applied fully).. or during your long main adjust it during your pit stops (I adjust mine while I am driving on the straight)

Also I use a spring on my brake linkage, fuel tubing seems to vary with temp change and on long mains... also with very little brake wear the fuel tubing does not allow for this, a spring (for me ) is better..

sorry for the rant but i hate hearing that people don't use brakes at all, could you imagine shuey or any other real race car driver saying they don't use brakes

and yes i use the teflon pads
Ron
Old 09-07-2003, 09:38 PM
Tech Master

Rocket, I hate to say this but you cannot brake hard at all with a one way, unless you are saying that you set the brakes to allow it to merely scrub the disks only. I set my car that way so that I can gently ease the car into the corner after the fastest staight.

To be honest I do not use brakes at all, about 95% of the time. Oh yes, Schuey does not drive a one way. All he has to do is to lift his foot off the gas and the car will decelerate like nuts due to the downforce.

Just read your posting, yes you set the brakes to scrub gently, that works also really well with cars that use a front differential! Very nice for TC3!!!

I drive a Mugen and a TC3.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:44 PM
Tech Regular

Default Pinion gear Q

Do these things thread on normally or are they reverse threaded? I don't change gears much.......well never, i did build it but it was a while ago. I sent a pic of what I'm talking about.........Threw in another of the 2.1 body I just finished, love that body. Any input on the pinios situation is much appreciated!!!
Thanks,
KEV
Attached Thumbnails Mugen MTX-3-pinion-gears.jpg  
Old 09-07-2003, 09:45 PM
Tech Master

Default Mugen Set Up

I realised that the Mugen set up if fine out of the box, I heard that the blue springs were too stiff and I got the softer purple ones. Well, now I learnt that it was not true even for smaller slightly bumpy tracks. The car is great out of the box.

I use a set up of:

Droop - 1 up front, 4 back
Camber - 2 front and 3 back (if a smooth track then you can get away with 2 even for the back)
Toe in - zero
Caster - standard
Bump stop - NIL
Sway bars - front level and standard back
Tires - 40 front 37 rear
Shock oil - 50 wt
Shock pistons - standard

The car handles well, very neutral to drive, no bias
Old 09-07-2003, 09:48 PM
Tech Master

Default Mugen Shocks

I need to find out something. I built my shocks well but I notice that after a day's outing ... the damper will not work smoothly. What I mean is that you build the shocks, the damp well (w/o springs). Run the car a whole day and when you remove the springs the damper will not fully extend the shaft out. Also when I open the dampers, the diaphram is 'dented'.

As for the rear springs, the oils will get dirty after like 2 days running. Anyone with the same experience or did I do something very wrong!
Old 09-07-2003, 10:00 PM
B
Tech Master

Originally posted by tIANcI
Rocket, I hate to say this but you cannot brake hard at all with a one way, unless you are saying that you set the brakes to allow it to merely scrub the disks only. I set my car that way so that I can gently ease the car into the corner after the fastest staight.
Correct!
But! On a high traction track, the amount of braking provided using front one way is more than enough to slow down the car for the hairpin or whatever
Old 09-07-2003, 10:14 PM
Tech Champion

Default Re: Brakes

Originally posted by Rocket Ronbo
OK lets dispell this myth that you can't use brakes with a one-way... I use brakes in almost every corner.. To go fast you must (by fast I mean nationals type fast)... By using brakes like this I was able to qualify 3rd at the nats and (due to a poor choice of a tire change in warm up) finish 5th in the main.

Remember most radios have a end point adjustment or throw adjustment..You need to use this everytime you run your car.. In warm up you check your brakes and adjust them as needed (as to not spin your car out when applied fully).. or during your long main adjust it during your pit stops (I adjust mine while I am driving on the straight)

Also I use a spring on my brake linkage, fuel tubing seems to vary with temp change and on long mains... also with very little brake wear the fuel tubing does not allow for this, a spring (for me ) is better..

sorry for the rant but i hate hearing that people don't use brakes at all, could you imagine shuey or any other real race car driver saying they don't use brakes

and yes i use the teflon pads
Ron
ron, what you are describing is what we call "drag brake"

as simple as that you set a little bit of brake when you release your throttle and the brake will be applied at the preset braking level but on gas car, braking level will fade away especially in the final. it is fairly consistent on electric ESC setting as your dont have a brake pad there will wear off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.