Bodies

Old 07-08-2005, 03:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Yep!

Originally Posted by Jye
I understand, roar has a specefied body class. That not even remotely cool
I understand they want to set up with barriers such as any real racing league has but, i dunno. It would be cool of they opened up another class with less restrictions. Im going to be checking out my 2 new tracks around what will be my new home in a few days, if their rules allow something completly diffrent than roar, i guess no pro racing for me.
Well put!!! JYE
Old 07-08-2005, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

How does the protoform accord body handle? Have you tried it vs others?
Old 07-08-2005, 07:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have raced the Parma Alpha and like it the best. But I haven't tried the new Stratus 3.1
Old 07-08-2005, 08:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
How does the protoform accord body handle? Have you tried it vs others?
I have about 4 protoform bodies. I'm not sure 100% how the accord is VS the others, I have driven it on the track and the same car same setup with the NSX body. The accord body seamed to like the turns a bit better, as I was much faster on the corner exits (i'm guessing, because I don't have timing gear and a radar gun, but I can see the car move faster down the track) however my accord body was cut wrong (my first 1/10 scale body) and sits about 3mm further forward on the chassi than it should if cut properly. I'm not sure how much of an effect this has on the handeling of a body as the downforce in specific points might not be useful anymore. and I'm not sure if it's even legal but it'd be neat to see experimentation with this.

also... there about real racecars being built from the ground up - aren't all cars built from the ground up? I mean they don't just pop out of a mold. and there are many factory productions cars that are hand built such as the Honda NSX and the AMG cars. heck my neon was "built" from the ground up... not one peice of stock stuff other than the engine is on there. well.. the doors and stuff (all 4 of them)
Old 07-08-2005, 08:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jye
I understand, roar has a specefied body class. That not even remotely cool
I understand they want to set up with barriers such as any real racing league has but, i dunno. It would be cool of they opened up another class with less restrictions. Im going to be checking out my 2 new tracks around what will be my new home in a few days, if their rules allow something completly diffrent than roar, i guess no pro racing for me.
I think it would be excellent to see a Balls out no rules, 4 wheels only and engine class of cars... like they have in the Grand American Rolex Sports Car Series races - witht he unlimited Daytona Prototypes and then the GT class which has many more limitations and must be based on production vehicles.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There is the outlaw class wich allows 200 mm outlaw and 235 class wich will be run together in florida at the 1/8 scale nationals later on this year. Sactioned racing is sanctioned racing. They have a sedan class for people that like to run sedan and they also have the 235 outlaw class where they also allow 200mm lola bodies and 5 port engines.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:19 AM
Jye
Tech Regular

free body, not counting lola, and free .12 engine size is all the freedom i would look for. roar seems like something ill do in the future when i have alot more money to spend on r/c.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

I meant like, free rules - one-off bodies and engines, custom drivetrain and chassi, that kinda unlimted stuff. all with a .12 motor, only reg - so that it would be nice to see cars with the same engine, but different bodies, chassi and stuff how they perform
Old 07-08-2005, 07:08 PM
Tech Regular

For unlimited "balls out" action as someone has said here there has been a class for this for a while...1/8 scale...

3.5cc engines, Can-Am style bodies (wedge), big FAT tires and as much speed as your finger will allow!!!

John
Old 07-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jrabbito
For unlimited "balls out" action as someone has said here there has been a class for this for a while...1/8 scale...

3.5cc engines, Can-Am style bodies (wedge), big FAT tires and as much speed as your finger will allow!!!

John
yep, you think you spend to much on tires and engines with your 1/10 do ya.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jye
free body, not counting lola, and free .12 engine size is all the freedom i would look for. roar seems like something ill do in the future when i have alot more money to spend on r/c.

Our local track hosts a bunch of races every year and they don't really care what body you run and as long as you have a .12 engine like you said but it is the beginner class or amatuer class. they start enforcing roar rules for bodies, including front vent holes size, body mounting height, and making sure the engine is a 3 port, etc etc..... for sportsman and expert class.

most tracks wont enforce roar rules if they are active on promoting a beginner class so people new to sanctioned racing won't have to spend additional money to bring thier car up to spec. and can just race what ever they have at the time.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

also... there about real racecars being built from the ground up - aren't all cars built from the ground up? I mean they don't just pop out of a mold. and there are many factory productions cars that are hand built such as the Honda NSX and the AMG cars. heck my neon was "built" from the ground up... not one peice of stock stuff other than the engine is on there. well.. the doors and stuff (all 4 of them)[/QUOTE] Your Neon was built to take the kids to school and soforth. A race car is built for one reason
Old 07-12-2005, 02:26 PM
Tech Addict

Default Stratus Origins

Pretty interesting thread. For those out there that are still confused about why our major rc races seem to have so many 10th scale "rental car" (Stratus) body styles in use, one must go back to 1996. This was when there was a series called the NATCC (North American Touring Car Championships). It ran races at the same venues as the CART (Indy) series when they were at road/street courses. The series just happened to coinside with the birth of modern RC sedan/touring car racing - thanks mainly to Tamiya,Kyosho and Yokomo. Full size sedan/touring racing had been big in UK and europe for many years already (at that time). There was only one domestic brand of car in the NATCC and that was Dodge. (and it was a "real", built for racing, hardcore "racecar") The Dodge factoryworks team raced Stratus' driven by David Donahue (son of the late and truly great IndyCar/TransAm champ Mark Donahue) and Domenic Dobson. The NATCC was a rather pathetic series that lasted only 2 years before it was abandoned. The Dodges won most of the races. On the RC side of things, Andy's Bodies produced the first lexan Stratus in '96 or '97, and due to its superior handling (compared to what was available at the time) it was hailed by all as "the best". As mentioned on a post by jwf_frani, the cab-forward shape was the biggest reason - it gave a good balanced feel to the racecar. In order to get a bodystyle approved by ROAR, ERFA etc, we manufacturers needed to base our bodies on real racecars, so naturally everyone started to produce Stratus bodies. It worked well, and was easy to get legalized. In the 9 years that have followed, no other "cab-forward" style car has ever raced in any of the worlds many (full size) touring car series. Thus, the Stratus name and shape have had quite an extended shelf life. Yes, we (body manufacturers) could make other brands/styles of car into a "cab- forward" shape, however it kinda goes against the whole "spirit" of the class. RC touring cars gained popularity in the late 90's simply because they looked like real cars and it was something that "car crazies" like myself could identify with. Unfortunately, the current crop of rc race bodies now available are getting increasingly "cab forward" - especially the ones producd in Japan. They tend to have a "speed at all cost" mentality over there. The average "Joe Sedan Racer" does'nt seen to care about realism these days and the santioning bodies (like ROAR,FAMAR & IFMAR) are doing absolutely nothing to protect the "look" and image of the touring car class as we've come to known it, so I'm feeling pretty much forced to give in to the trend. It's a pity though, cab-forward Alfas, Hondas & Acuras just plain look wierd in my opinion.
Hope that all makes sense to you guys.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/artic...=5499&FS=NATCC

Dale Epp - PROTOform Race Bodies
Old 07-12-2005, 02:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for your input Dale. Here in Australia, Protoform has around 95% of the racing market and for a reason. Im a huge fan of the Mazda 6 for my EP car and Stratus 3.1 for my gas car. awesome bodies. Keep up the great work!

p.s. A cab -forward Alfa is clearly overstepping the mark. The protoform Alfa is a beutiful bodyshell (shape wise) and also handles. Credit to the Losi Alfa too. Not a bad shell.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default rental?

Rental car racing LOL that fits. Dale could you tell me what kind of plastic Protoform is using these days? It dosn't look or feel like Lexan .Is it P.E.T.G? You don't have to answer this if you don't want to. I'm just curious.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.