Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Protoform Mazda6 GX Handling?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Anyone comment on the GX vs the P37 on carpet? I just picked up a GX in LW to test.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkiiina
Anyone comment on the GX vs the P37 on carpet? I just picked up a GX in LW to test.
Ive only run the Speed6 vs the P37 on carpet, and I found the P37 had more steering and was faster as a whole, while keeping the rear locked in. The Speed6 was too conservative. I hope this helps a bit.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

GX has a lot more steering than the Speed6. The Speed6 feels well balanced, very free feeling. The GX feels very front end aggressive, almost too much steering. I had to dial out a ton of steering to get the GX to somewhat work, and it still wasn't enough. May be good outside, should know in a few weeks.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Although I haven't done proper back to back testing with the P37 vs the GX I do have a lot experience with both on carpet. Under normal conditions I found them pretty close to the same other then the GX had slightly more aggressive (but still less then the LTC) turn in compared to the P37. I do find the GX preferable when traction is low though.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RobS
Although I haven't done proper back to back testing with the P37 vs the GX I do have a lot experience with both on carpet. Under normal conditions I found them pretty close to the same other then the GX had slightly more aggressive (but still less then the LTC) turn in compared to the P37. I do find the GX preferable when traction is low though.
+1 on all counts. I think the GX was pretty good on carpet, but should shine on asphalt. I'll know more in a few weeks.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RobS
Glad to hear it is similiar. Now just need to get some paint on it and start testing! Our carpet could be described as low-med traction so should be right up the GX alley.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:32 PM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

I finally have enough track time with both bodies (ltcr and gx) to comment. The track is a tight technical high traction carpet track. I switched back and forth between the bodies at a few practice sessions, and could typically get a faster fast lap using the ltcr, but my average lap time was usually faster with the gx. The ltcr does indeed seem to be more front end agressive, where as the gx is more stable. I find myself getting out of shape one in a while with the ltcr, but hardly ever out of shape with the gx. At first, I didn't like the gx cause it seemed a bit bland with the rear locked in better, but after putting a few hundred laps on it, it is starting to grow on me. I prefer to use it over the ltcr now. Keep in mind that I'm a noob, which might be why I prefer the safer car.
I just received a Sweep stc4 body today. I hoping to try it out tomorrow if I can get it painted after work.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The sweep body is very good. I'd say that it is all the good things from both the ltrc and the GX all rolled into one. Aggressive and stable at the same time! Will be interesting to hear you feedback vs the GX.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:28 AM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by dan_vector
The sweep body is very good. I'd say that it is all the good things from both the ltrc and the GX all rolled into one. Aggressive and stable at the same time! Will be interesting to hear you feedback vs the GX.
That's funny that you mention that. I was visually comparing the stc4 body with the ltcr and gx last night and noted that the nose is very similar to the ltcr (although with a slightly longer splitter for even more steering), and the rear looks to be about half way between the ltcr and gx.
The sweep body looks to have a lower center of gravity as well.....I had to lower my body mounts front and rear. The 1mm rear wing is a nice touch that comes with the kit. PF charge $12 extra for a thick wing iirc. Since the belt line is lower on the sweep body, you can run a taller wing and still have it below the roof line. The rounded edges of the sweep body should make for higher top speeds on fast courses too. The gx has very sharp lines. I do like the look of the pf bodies better, but function before fashion.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:03 AM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

I did some practicing with the sweep body last night. It is very ltcr-ish to me, with perhaps even more steering. I didn't swap on my ltcr body for direct comparison though. I did swap between the sweep body and gx body a couple of times, and still felt more comfortable with the gx body, and was more consistent with it, although had the odd faster lap with the sweep body. I'll keep playing with the sweep body to get a better feel for it in the future, but I'll still stick with the gx body in mains for its locked down rear in the fast sections.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Prepared a lightweight GX body for comparison with HB Subaru type C and HB Mazda MPS on rubber tires. I really love the look of the front (and the potential for own ideas), but the long side panel make the rear part boring...

Old 06-18-2014, 11:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Now those are some crazy lights/grille! Very Nissan GT-R-esque.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

That looks awesome. Going to have to try that look when I paint up my next one!
Old 06-18-2014, 12:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Since we're talking about the Mazda 6....... here's one a friend did for me:

Haven't run it yet, bought one I could run, it's one I painted yesterday and will run it tomorrow for the first time. Being a noo-b I won't have any feedback for anyone....all I have to compare it to is an old Protoform R9-F.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wtcc
Prepared a lightweight GX body for comparison with HB Subaru type C and HB Mazda MPS on rubber tires. I really love the look of the front (and the potential for own ideas), but the long side panel make the rear part boring...
Very cool. So, when can we read the results of your comparison test? I last drove a HB Subaru type C 7 or 8 months ago and now that I've spent some time driving a PF GX I'd love to hear about how they differ.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.