Wiki Posts
Search

Integy 030 tray

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 12:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Integy 030 tray

Has anyone tried this tray? I bought one intending to use GP3700's but have been seduced into using IB380's. Now, I read that people aren't dead shorting these batteries, cool. But is it safe to use the integy 030 tray? I would think so, but who the hell am I? Just a squirrel trying to get a nut . Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i take my packs off when the light goes out so it goes down to some thing not shure above 0 volts.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

with my IB3600's I've been putting them on the tray to flatten out the pack before charging...that's it...not deadshorting..not storing with 0V...but just flattening them out immediately before charging...getting lots of punch...

I'm not sure how the 3800's react...I should hopefully be testing some in the next couple weeks though
Old 06-27-2005, 09:38 AM
Tech Master

Using a 30 amp try for IB3800's is perfectly fine. I use the same tray you mention with my IB3800's and the cells are fine.

I tray my IB's for 5-10 minutes pass when the bulbs go out on the 30 amp tray and then charge them. When I am done running the pack, I discharge it on my GFX to 5.4 volts and then equalize the cells on the Novak tray and leave them like that until I race them next time.

They seem to like this treatment as well as the GP's I have used over the years.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:47 AM
Tech Addict

I have this tray and i think its the best one out right now (except the new Spintec discharger) I leave my batteries in the tray for about an hour. I also have the fans running the whole time to help cool the the batteries off.This ensures that each cell is brought down to 0 and prepares the cells for their next charge. Just cause the lights go out doesnt mean they r at 0. I also put the batteries on the tray before i charge them at race day. I leave the batteries on before i charge for about 30 min.
And yes you can use the IB3800's. the charger wont hurt the cells. If anything it will help them. Ya ive read that peoeple dont dead short the IB3800's cause it actualy reduces performance. Please recomment if im wrong.
In the new RC Car action magazine it has a whole article on different kinds of batteries. inlcudeing GP 3300, GP 3700, IB 3600, IB 3800 and Sanyoo 3600. They tested each kind of cells for run time and votage and other things. They even used the Integy 030 discharger tray. It was a very good article.
Ya with no doupt use the 030 discharger on any batteries. Its a great discharger and havent had any problems with it.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Thanks for the replies guys. I have been using the tray on some old 3300's just to play with it and so far it's awesome. I have my 3800's coming in and just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to melt my apartment down.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:53 PM
Tech Addict

has anyone put a voltmeter across a cell when the light goes off? What is the cutoff when the light goes off, the manual is very vague.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Just to clarify, leaving batts on a tray until they reach 0 volts is not "dead shorting".

Dead shorting is when you have brought the volts down with a tray, and then you take it off the tray and connect the positive terminal to the negative terminal on the same batt. This is called dead shorting. It brings the batt down to 0, but not in the same manner that a tray does and may cause the cells to explode if you haven't brought the batts volts down far enough first.

Using trays to bring the batts down to 0 is perfectly fine in my opinion. I did some extensive testing on discharging and equalizing and looked at the results with a Futaba CDR-5000 and what I found is the longer you tray them, both in between race days & in between runs on race day, the better the pack will be as far as run time and resistance goes. The voltage stays the same, but you actually get more power with the lower resistance and it drops off less throughout a run.

During the race day, discharging them with a 30a bulb tree & then traying them until the lights go out is a MINIMUM. In between runs, I leave them on the tray as long as I can before I have to take them off, ALLOW THEM TO COOL OFF FIRST, and then charge them. I realized through testing on the Futaba that using the same pack for all qualifiers and the main will allow the battery to operate at its peak performance by the 3rd run. All of this testing was done with GP3300 matched packs from Pro-match, Integy, Fusion, Peak & SMC.

Out of all of these packs, the best matched ones from SMC and Pro-match are the only ones that haven't produced a bad cell over the last 8 months of hard use. My worst matched SMC pack did produce a bad cell very recently, but I'd attribute this to an error in charging strategy during hot weather. I have to admit that I use them very often every week with anywhere from 6 to 16 runs during track testing and an additional full race day of 4 to 7 runs. Of course I'm cycling through using each pack, but each pack on average gets around 4 to 6 runs per week. The SMC packs with the closest matched numbers and lowest IR have actually gotten better over time and they are currently used for race day. The Pro-match packs with the closest matched numbers have about the same performance numbers they did when I bought them.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:50 PM
Tech Addict

So when the lights go off, what voltage are the corresponding cells at?
Old 07-01-2005, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Somewhere close to 0.9v
Old 07-01-2005, 08:38 PM
Tech Addict

Just curious, after traying a pack overnight, how will the punch and voltage of the first charge compare to the second or third of the day? Normally I just leave my pack charged throughout the week, and my second run feels punchier than the first. How does traying a pack overnight affect this? Thanks.