Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 ROAR Carpet Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 10:19 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

And because "least amount of effort" sounds lazy, I'll clarify. I spend many, many hours each week making sure my car is in the best possible condition. The competition at our place has become so intense that you can't afford to have your car be in anything but big race condition. Your entire program has to be perfect. It's exhausting.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I can only speak for myself, but I choose to run stock because it gives me 100% of what I enjoy about RC with the least amount of effort. It's also got the deepest field, and is something that's fun to race in average traction like we see at the clubs most of the time. I LOVE racing stock, it's the perfect class for me. And I really enjoy super stock as well, because it gives me most of the thrill of running a faster motor without sacrificing the things that make stock so compelling.
I agree with that part of Mod usually having smaller fields does not provide the close battles through out the field. Not so much because stock cars should all be closer in speed, but just the pure odds that groups of drivers within any race will be closer together in lap time range. The more that are running, the odds will favor more potential close battles within the field. Its great that you guys have everyone pushing to be at their best. We have similar in Seattle. Its what makes it enjoyable, being pushed to excel.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Remember this?
JMRCA change touring rule to 4cells! Is this the future?

Or this?
EFRA decision. 5 cells -1350gr

In the past, there was a movement to reduce power from 6 cell. Now, the cars are running on the equivalent of 7 cell. If your 17.5 car finishes the heat under 7 v you have problems. In the round cell days, if your battery held 7v for more than a minute and a half that was awesome.

I guarantee cars are faster now. This reduces the number of people talented enough to drive them at the cars' limit.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
And because "least amount of effort" sounds lazy, I'll clarify. I spend many, many hours each week making sure my car is in the best possible condition. The competition at our place has become so intense that you can't afford to have your car be in anything but big race condition. Your entire program has to be perfect. It's exhausting.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I don't think you can really judge the health of mod from these results. On any given saturday club race in seattle, we've got 4-6 people that are within a lap of Kody, and 1-2 laps up on the TQ record in 17.5. But most of us don't do big races. And that nats track looks brutal, the kind of thing that really brings the cream to the top.

EDIT: That being said, we'll see what Kody does to the mod TC record when he gets back.

-Mike
Old 03-02-2014, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Drew Ellis
So your saying to the guys that are not good enough to just give up. That's way US racing is in the problem it is in. Not fast enough , let's make a new class or cancel another class. Also that is way there are three classes to chose from. No one makes anyone run a class. You run what you want, so come run stock. You want to race against Paul Lemieux or the other top drivers run mod.

Thanks Drew
+1
Old 03-02-2014, 05:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Kevin K
You proved my point.
Mod is too hard and its not going to pull any more racers when you see results like this. You yourself went faster with your 13.5 than you did in Mod. Mod is too hard for the masses and 17.5 is a great racing speed for the majority....Maybe 13.5 should be the new "MOD" so more people do it because at this stage full Mod is broken these results show that and I dont need to be at this race to see how broken it is here in the US.

Im not taking anything away from the guys in the mod main they still had to race to make it into that main but the class is broken is all Im saying. The 13.5 and 17.5 classes would be much more interesting with EVERYONE being able to race in them because the speeds are more inline with 95% of the people out there racing sedan.
The big question is how racers will react when, with no mod, factory drivers make up the majority of the A main positions in the 13.5 class. Will 13.5 now be considered too difficult (to make the A rather than to drive)?

Will the 13.5 guys scurry into 17.5 so they have a chance to win? And what happens when the factory guys drop into 17.5?
Old 03-02-2014, 05:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

This is my first time running mod TC at a national event. I'm a few laps off Pauly's pace but I guarantee I'm having more fun than 99% of the guys posting on RCTech.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cwoods34
This is my first time running mod TC at a national event. I'm a few laps off Pauly's pace but I guarantee I'm having more fun than 99% of the guys posting on RCTech.
Cody Woods, ladies and gentlemen, from nowhere to rock star in one post! Well done sir.

-Sean
Old 03-02-2014, 06:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

ABSOLUTELY!
Old 03-02-2014, 06:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

I think you guys are missing the biggest issues here.

There is no reason for guys to move up when every manufacture hands out sponsorship like its candy on Halloween.

Why move up if you can run 17.5 and get free room, flight or gas money, entry fee paid and free parts and kits for winning the bigger races. And some of that for just making the A.

Why would the "pro" 17.5 guy want to move up and more than likely need more practice time and a greater learning curve. All with a great chance they will lose the paid entry, room and travel if they don't make the A in mod. I know most of them if they put in the effort would end up being just as competitive with mod as they are in 17.5.

But I guess they look at it like we (lower a main/b main guys) look at them. Why move up and race faster guys if I feel I can't beat them.

It's really a doubled edge sword. Manufactures want the most bang for their buck and the majority of racers in the country run 17.5.

So therefore they sponsor the fastest 17.5 races with no push to move them up.
What wins on Sunday sells on Monday. That's what the companies are banking on.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Yea. Cody me and matt wish we could have made it .
my son has been looking to run mod but our track dont have that class (for good reason lol) but I will back up drew that same lap times with a faster car is hard to do .
It has a completely different driving style from stock/SStock racing ..
so I give props to the people running mod .
Tho I would love a open mod or a all stock race event at some point even one time a yr .
a race thats all tc17.5 & 1/12 17.5 with a field of EVERYONE would be awesome
and . (It could have more classes running but u had to enter one of these classes to be able to race anythng else
Old 03-02-2014, 07:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
Yea. Cody me and matt wish we could have made it .
my son has been looking to run mod but our track dont have that class (for good reason lol) but I will back up drew that same lap times with a faster car is hard to do .
It has a completely different driving style from stock/SStock racing ..
so I give props to the people running mod .
Tho I would love a open mod or a all stock race event at some point even one time a yr .
a race thats all tc17.5 & 1/12 17.5 with a field of EVERYONE would be awesome
and . (It could have more classes running but u had to enter one of these classes to be able to race anythng else
Minus the 12th scale class the preworlds will be almost that. Only mod tc and 17.5 tc will be ran.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
The same line has been used for YEARS and the results are the same....mod shrinks year after year and slower/Stock classes keeps growing.
Wait.... what?

Mod Sedan has seen a large resurgence in entries at the big races in the past ~1.5 years. And it is the kind of growth that the class really needs. It's not just the top factory guys running the class anymore... but lots of 50% and privateer racers as well. And a lot of guys seem to be sticking with it.

You cannot judge the depth of the US's Mod talent pool from one race. If that was the case, you could certainly argue that 17.5 and 13.5 sedan are dying too. Hell... Mod has as many entries as 13.5 this year. Last year, at Horsham(which was a MUCH bigger race), Mod had ~14-15 entries to 13.5s ~25.

This race did not get the turnout that people may have expected or desired... but to get the same number of Mod sedan racers as Nats last year @ Horsham, which had twice the # of total entries, does not indicate that Mod is dying.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:46 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Well, I don't have the answers, but I think we can safely determine what doesn't work based on the last 10 years. And it's all the things we've been doing.

1. Trying to make people feel guilty about running stock so they move up to mod.
2. Making the mod cars faster.
3. Running on cheap, hard spec tires.
4. Thinking the prestige of running mod should attract more people.
5. Trying to eliminate super stock.

The class has no upside for most of the people still doing RC racing, and is completely out of reach for new racers.

There's no surprises in mod, everybody knows it's going to be Paul or Keven from now until the end of time. Stock, nobody is dominating. There's a group of guys always at the top, but the outcome is anything but certain. THAT makes it exciting, both to watch and participate in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.