Wiki Posts
Search

2014 ROAR Carpet Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Odin544
LiveRC's feed was complete garbage at off road worlds too. Was that ROAR's fault?
No, it was mine for being Negative Nancy.

So bad, I unsubscribed.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kraig
Well...the person running the computer needs to make sure that the scoring system is setup properly. This then feeds the uploader to Live RC. Live RC only displays what was sent to it. So if the person setup the scoring software properly they still have to go to Live RC and clear the results that were already uploaded. Then you basically start all over again.

Being in those shoes before I can see where a step to erase the data in Live RC can be missed. We are all human and I have yet to meet someone who is perfect.
Actually with the new adobe air uploader for liverc, I do not see the option to clear the results anymore.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Drew Ellis
Yes it's true, but I believe there was a few guys that could not get a run in. Mod rubber sedan is not easy and it is great to see more guys trying to run it. To go 39 laps on this track is not easy at all. What if Paul ran 17.5, we would of seen at least a 37 lap run maybe a 38 in 17.5. It is a lot harder to go 36/6:00 with a mod motor then it is with a 17.5. But for someone that is not at the event, I can see how you would make a comment like that. Congrats to the guys that made the top tens.

Thanks Drew
You proved my point.
Mod is too hard and its not going to pull any more racers when you see results like this. You yourself went faster with your 13.5 than you did in Mod. Mod is too hard for the masses and 17.5 is a great racing speed for the majority....Maybe 13.5 should be the new "MOD" so more people do it because at this stage full Mod is broken these results show that and I dont need to be at this race to see how broken it is here in the US.

Im not taking anything away from the guys in the mod main they still had to race to make it into that main but the class is broken is all Im saying. The 13.5 and 17.5 classes would be much more interesting with EVERYONE being able to race in them because the speeds are more inline with 95% of the people out there racing sedan.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Kevin K
You proved my point.
Mod is too hard and its not going to pull any more racers when you see results like this. You yourself went faster with your 13.5 than you did in Mod. Mod is too hard for the masses and 17.5 is a great racing speed for the majority....Maybe 13.5 should be the new "MOD" so more people do it because at this stage full Mod is broken these results show that and I dont need to be at this race to see how broken it is here in the US.

Im not taking anything away from the guys in the mod main they still had to race to make it into that main but the class is broken is all Im saying. The 13.5 and 17.5 classes would be much more interesting with EVERYONE being able to race in them because the speeds are more inline with 95% of the people out there racing sedan.
So your saying to the guys that are not good enough to just give up. That's way US racing is in the problem it is in. Not fast enough , let's make a new class or cancel another class. Also that is way there are three classes to chose from. No one makes anyone run a class. You run what you want, so come run stock. You want to race against Paul Lemieux or the other top drivers run mod.

Thanks Drew
Old 03-01-2014, 08:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Seems to be only a US problem. I don't see this problem in Europe or Asia. I back up with Ellis says.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

You proved my point.

All the TC classes are too fast. 17.5 is way too fast for "stock" these days. 17.5 should be the middle class and 25.5 or 21.5 for "stock". Or go to life packs across the board.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:03 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Drew Ellis
So your saying to the guys that are not good enough to just give up. That's way US racing is in the problem it is in. Not fast enough , let's make a new class or cancel another class. Also that is way there are three classes to chose from. No one makes anyone run a class. You run what you want, so come run stock. You want to race against Paul Lemieux or the other top drivers run mod.

Thanks Drew
I never said they should give up if thats what you got out of that then wow. There are 4 guys at the top then 6 guys 3 laps off for what ever reason. If this doesnt strike you as being a problem then that is another problem. All Im saying is that mod is broken the way it is now here in the US. Maybe ROAR needs to make mod have a 13.5 motor limit with ROAR software to heal and grow the class again? When something is broken you need to repair it not just keep using it and wondering why the same results keep happening.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:19 PM
Tech Master

How many entries were there in mod sedan?
Old 03-01-2014, 09:20 PM
Tech Lord

I'm not at the event, but it's not hard to tell from watching the races that there's some issues with traction. That makes mod, which is already impossibly hard for all but the truly gifted among us, even more difficult.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Lets have a moment of slience for the Death of Mod Sedan Racing in the US....

When the top 5 in 17.5 can make the main in Mod with 17.5 motors then there is no need for it any more....not to mention it looks like only 4 guys have a chance to even be close over 6 minutes that are not 3 laps down.

1) Kyle Klingforth 36/6:03.428 (R3)
2) Brent Klingforth 36/6:04.565 (R3)
3) Eric L. Anderson 36/6:05.612 (R4)
4) Bill Sydor 36/6:07.192 (R3)
5) Arthur Scrimo 36/6:08.596 (R1)

6) Keith Yu 36/6:09.906 (R4)
7) Tim Copp 35/6:03.617 (R4)
8) Hamann Dan 35/6:04.122 (R3)
9) Chris Kemper 35/6:06.244 (R4)
10) Jones Michael 35/6:07.105 (R3)

Mod
1) Paul Lemieux 39/6:07.668 (R3)
2) Kody Knudtson 39/6:08.017 (R4)
3) Keven Hebert 38/6:00.968 (R2)
4) Josh Cyrul 38/6:04.165 (R4)
5) Andrew Doherty 36/6:00.336 (R3)
6) Rick Hohwart 36/6:00.401 (R3)
7) Andrew Ellis 36/6:00.452 (R3)
8) Cody Woods 36/6:02.230 (R4)
9) Jake Danilchik 36/6:05.620 (R2)
10) Christopher Hillier 36/6:09.574 (R4)
I never said they should give up if thats what you got out of that then wow. There are 4 guys at the top then 6 guys 3 laps off for what ever reason. If this doesnt strike you as being a problem then that is another problem. All Im saying is that mod is broken the way it is now here in the US. Maybe ROAR needs to make mod have a 13.5 motor limit with ROAR software to heal and grow the class again? When something is broken you need to repair it not just keep using it and wondering why the same results keep happening.
Drew is absolutely correct. Ask yourself why is it that this issue only exists in the US? It exists because us Americans have fragile egos, we subscribe to the idea of instant gratification. I see it all the time, driver tries Mod, driver doesn't get the results he think he should according to his timetable and he quits and starts running stock again. Let's be honest here, forgive me 'cause I don't know how else to say it but some drivers just don't have any gumption. It's madness to even think that running the fastest motor class can be mastered quickly without paying your dues. Driving is just one part of it with setup knowledge and experience being the other major components. Running 36 laps in modified is much harder that running the same 36 laps in stock, a 9.5 in stock ain't the same as running a 9.5 in modified period.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

You proved my point.

Mod is broken? I think if you look at if more from an engineering standpoint, its possible that the reason 17.5 or 13.5 cars are going faster is because chassis have been pushed to be able to better handle full Mod horsepower better. So the trickle down is that those same chassis are probably why a slower motored car can go much faster than it would have if it was running a chassis that had not been refined as much as it was for Mod class.

Someday there should an open Mod class, which will allow stretching the boundaries even further than just abundant horsepower. A more open environment that breeds new technology of the future, two (front and rear) or even motor per wheel technologies, (no, not two or four 540 sized motors) that could include better control of the power as it is put down to our skinny tires. Of course with that we will also likely see an increase in cost, at least initially. For now, we are just seeing mainly more chassis development. Yes, tires really could use a look too, but I don't think we need to start that discussion, yet...

Different track layouts and conditions can cause differential in lap times of classes to widen or tighten up, so Drew is correct to say that this track, at this time, may be why they are closer in lap times as well.

For what its worth, I went to running Mod only and I spend far less $ than when I was running stock classes. Mainly because I stopped chasing batteries and motors. I can just run the same one of each all season. I do go through tires a bit faster now, although I would often go to new tires in stock to try get that extra .00001 sec. too. Interestingly I have broken less parts now. Maybe having to focus on controlling the power of a Mod car and not pushing to get that last little bit by cutting a corner too close as I tried in stock is why? I'm not near the top of the leader board, yet, but I am getting better every time I run. It takes time and effort.

Ultimately race in what works best for you, and get the most enjoyment, success, etc. out of racing that way.

-a
Old 03-01-2014, 09:40 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard
It exists because us Americans have fragile egos, we subscribe to the idea of instant gratification. I see it all the time, driver tries Mod, driver doesn't get the results he think he should according to his timetable and he quits and starts running stock again.
The same line has been used for YEARS and the results are the same....mod shrinks year after year and slower/Stock classes keeps growing. IMO it has nothing to do with instant gratification as much as it does that people will show what they want to race by supporting what they feel comfortable with.

Bottom line keep doing what you are doing nothing will change.

Change needs to happen or the results will keep looking like they do....dismal for the US.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The same line has been used for YEARS and the results are the same....mod shrinks year after year and slower/Stock classes keeps growing. IMO it has nothing to do with instant gratification as much as it does that people will show what they want to race by supporting what they feel comfortable with.

Change needs to happen or the results will keep looking like they do....dismal for the US.
Dumbing it down here is the US isn't going to change anything, if it were easy then everyone would do it. When IFMAR starts holding WC's based upon using a stock motor then maybe you might have a vaild argument. Again why does it work for the rest of the world and not the US, if it were a global issue then you might be on to something but that's not the case.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Sadly what Fred said seems to be an ongoing problem, so yes that same line that has been said for YEARS may continue. I have worked at a major University for over 30 years and I have watched an attitude that is tied to this grow with new students as they come in. I find more people that don't think they have to work their way up the ladder than in the past. Many think they just deserve it. I am not sure where this kind of thought process is going to lead us, but it doesn't seem good.

Anyway, wish I could have gone this year, to run in Mod, but work came first for me this time around.

Go Kody, Jake and Keith too.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:10 PM
Tech Lord

I can only speak for myself, but I choose to run stock because it gives me 100% of what I enjoy about RC with the least amount of effort. It's also got the deepest field, and is something that's fun to race in average traction like we see at the clubs most of the time. I LOVE racing stock, it's the perfect class for me. And I really enjoy super stock as well, because it gives me most of the thrill of running a faster motor without sacrificing the things that make stock so compelling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.