Like Tree1Likes

Xray T4'14

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 02:48 PM
Suspended

New chassis plate and front upper bulkhead mounts
Old 05-12-2014, 02:49 AM
Tech Adept

A few idea of changes to the 2015 model..

Colour change... White or grey perhaps?
Floating layshaft like yoke?
Floating servo mount similar to serpent?
Option to still run big shocks too so option shock mounts (xray quality not aftermarket)?
Old 05-12-2014, 11:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Andrew S
the alu chassis works fantastic on very high grip surfaces calming the car, yet making it go deeper and faster through the corner.
But anything less than high grip, the carbon chassis is superior for sure.

The alu chassis is very strong. you would have to hit the car hard enough to break top decks and shock towers before you would damage alu chassis.
It is also a little more narrow than the carbon chassis.

Something I tried for kicks: alu chassis with the top deck completely removed.
Was the easiest yet fastest car I've ever driven! set the lap record within 2 laps and im normally .2-.4 sec slower!
was awesome!
However, I put the carbon chassis back on. I did not feel the belts or car would last long with my far less than perfect driving. the alu chassis was stiff enough without the top deck than belts did not slip after 10mins on track, but I just felt wrong!

food for thought for some!
Top deck completly removed?

Pier
Old 05-12-2014, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (95%+)

I have the aluminum chassis not tried it yet, going to get a 1.6mm top deck, split it in the middle, so there is left to right flex, but no front to rear, see how this works, this way I don,t have to be too concerned about the belts slipping
Old 05-12-2014, 12:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pigiolino
Top deck completly removed?

Pier
Yup! Right off! Not on the car at all!
Old 05-12-2014, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

the alu chassis works fantastic on very high grip surfaces calming the car, yet making it go deeper and faster through the corner.
But anything less than high grip, the carbon chassis is superior for sure.

The alu chassis is very strong. you would have to hit the car hard enough to break top decks and shock towers before you would damage alu chassis.
It is also a little more narrow than the carbon chassis.

Something I tried for kicks: alu chassis with the top deck completely removed.
Was the easiest yet fastest car I've ever driven! set the lap record within 2 laps and im normally .2-.4 sec slower!
was awesome!
However, I put the carbon chassis back on. I did not feel the belts or car would last long with my far less than perfect driving. the alu chassis was stiff enough without the top deck than belts did not slip after 10mins on track, but I just felt wrong!

food for thought for some!
That is an interesting finding 'without the top deck'. I thought the car was extremely vague and unresponsive without the top deck although it had better (at that specific moment, with the track conditions at the time) forward bite.

Separately, the Arrowmax aluminum chassis will bend. After 5 race weekends the chassis did lose a flat set.

The Xray Aluminum does feel stiffer than the Arrowmax even though the Arrowmax is wider.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:25 PM
Tech Regular

I don't understand why going back to a material that has more disadvantages than carbon fiber. Aluminum will eventually bend while carbon fiber is more durable, lighter, stronger and will return to it's original shape if twisted. Why trying to chase the awesomatix on this aspect. Is not the aluminum chassis that is making this car successful on stock racing. Why do you think real F1 cars chassis are made almost completely from carbon fiber. Just use weave orientation and plies on the fabric to change the stiffness characteristics of the final product.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by porsche928gs
I don't understand why going back to a material that has more disadvantages than carbon fiber. Aluminum will eventually bend while carbon fiber is more durable, lighter, stronger and will return to it's original shape if twisted. Why trying to chase the awesomatix on this aspect. Is not the aluminum chassis that is making this car successful on stock racing. Why do you think real F1 cars chassis are made almost completely from carbon fiber. Just use weave orientation and plies on the fabric to change the stiffness characteristics of the final product.
It's not about chasing another brand it's about stiffening the chassis to lesson flex you get from carbon on high bite conditions
Old 05-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by thisguy2849
It's not about chasing another brand it's about stiffening the chassis to lesson flex you get from carbon on high bite conditions
I understand the purpose of going to aluminum but there's no denying that they are looking at it because awesomatix came out with it first. Anyways, like I said carbon fiber can be made a lot stiffer per square area than aluminum. I used to make my own chassis and shock towers for my Xray t1fk back in the foam tires on carpet days (ply by ply) . The only advantage on aluminum is cost (only if you don't bend one on a crash and replace it with a new one).
Old 05-13-2014, 12:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yup! Right off! Not on the car at all!
I'll try friday!
Thks

Pigio
Old 05-13-2014, 12:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Yeah seems like they would have just come out with a 2.5mm carbon chassis if it was about making it stiffer.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Alloy chassis does not really twist like any form of carbon, it's possibly why they made one, cause they wanted to eliminate twisting or reduce it for really high grip, down side is when alloy does twist, it will hold a tweak and you will never get rid of it, does not take all that hard a hit to put tweaks in alloy.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Guys this alu chassis is 40 grams heavier.
It's not just flex.
Being so heavy vs carbon, it changes the handling characteristics.
Not as darty initial, but rolls deeper than carbon and has more forwards momentum through the corner helping to get the speed up.
This is why it really only works properly on very high grip tracks.
The total result of alu vs carbon is a very different feeling car compared to carbon.
Could be just the thing your looking for in a big meet with high traction.
For most of us, it's probably no good as most local races are not grippy enough to take full advantage of the alu!

Last edited by Andrew S; 05-13-2014 at 04:34 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:42 AM
Tech Regular

Wink

Guys this alu chassis is 40 grams heavier.
It's not just flex.
Being so heavy vs carbon, it changes the handling characteristics.
Not as darty initial, but rolls deeper than carbon and has more forwards momentum through the corner helping to get the speed up.
This is why it really only works properly on very high grip tracks.
The total result of alu vs carbon is a very different feeling car compared to carbon.
Could be just the thing your looking for in a big meet with high traction.
For most of us, it's probably no good as most local races are not grippy enough to take full advantage of the alu!
This can be replicated by simply adding more weight preferably to the front of the car and raising your roll center will make the car act this way. Then try different droop settings starting at 2.5mm front, 2mm rear measured aboved ride height. Aluminum chassis is just another fad. I wouldn't waste my money on it. IMHO
Old 05-13-2014, 07:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by porsche928gs
This can be replicated by simply adding more weight preferably to the front of the car and raising your roll center will make the car act this way. Then try different droop settings starting at 2.5mm front, 2mm rear measured aboved ride height. Aluminum chassis is just another fad. I wouldn't waste my money on it. IMHO
Well Gilberto you add weight and I'll run the aluminum this weekend and we will see which does better head to head my friend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.