Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Evolution of RC car design. Where is it headed? >

Evolution of RC car design. Where is it headed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Evolution of RC car design. Where is it headed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fredswain
If you think run times are short or that radios suffer from interference, you haven't been doing this long enough to remember when that was actually true.
Or he is a Spektrum user.

I kid of course.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Batteries, motors, and ESC's have advanced much quicker than chassis tech. Even tires have advanced more than chassis tech (more compounds, patterns, closed cell foams, etc)

Chassis development has to happen. Even if it's minor. The additional traction from the new tires combined with the additional power of the new electronics is pushing the existing platforms to it's limits.

If you want to see how far the motors, batteries, and esc has come, take the electronics out of either of the world champs cars and throw them in the same car 2 generations back. You will see how much we evolved in that short time. Then take those electronics and slap them in a B2/B3 or XX. That improvement is even more pronounced.

Can old stuff still win? Absolutely. But competition is not limited to the track. Companies are always striving to be the best at what they do and make their products the best there is to offer. Eventually someone will do something that forces everyone to step up their game. As consumers, we should be thankful that this does happen or we would be still racing the Frog.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Tech Master

My runtimes are good for racing and practice...but what about if I want to go bash for 20-30min straight with higher speeds and cool temps?
Old 10-02-2013, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 157 (100%+)

If you think run times are short or that radios suffer from interference, you haven't been doing this long enough to remember when that was actually true.
Love this response. Anytime someone at the track says "oh man, my car is glitching" (not very often but still). All I think about is 25 years ago having to yell out "Who's on Channel 68? Come on man, turn off your radio, I'm on Channel 68!"
Old 10-02-2013, 01:11 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by XRated SCT
My runtimes are good for racing and practice...but what about if I want to go bash for 20-30min straight with higher speeds and cool temps?
you can't bash for 20 minutes on 1 lipo? really?
Old 10-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by scottgir
Love this response. Anytime someone at the track says "oh man, my car is glitching" (not very often but still). All I think about is 25 years ago having to yell out "Who's on Channel 68? Come on man, turn off your radio, I'm on Channel 68!"
"who's on futaba? come on man, turn off your radio, i'm on spektrum!"
Old 10-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by F1Yankee
If I were to take out my tekno sct and gear it for speeds that I like bashing on...no, 20min. Is possible with the right lipo but temp wise it's not going to happen, even with my 15tpinion that I race with I highly doubt 20min will be in the safe temp range
Old 10-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by F1Yankee
I don't think many can go 20, at least not the OFF ROAD vehicles we race unless your getting a 8000mah+ battery. My XB9E on a 6500mah last max 15 under race conditions. That's Max Amps or SMC. My Tekno SCT410 with 7200 SMC is lucky to get 12-15 under race conditions. So no I don't think too many people could bash for 20 minutes on 1 battery. On road I have no idea.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:50 PM
dtr
Tech Master

On the radio front I have played with 27MHz AM radios so I agree that todays 2.4G systems are way better than having to compare channels and swap crystals. However I am more concerned with deliberately overtaking the original signal. A plane can easily be stolen this way, and surely some kids will find it amusing to make cars collide or run away.

Regarding batteries I just envy nitro racers having 30 (and sometimes even longer) mains with just a few seconds per 7-10mins to refill and having much lighter cars. I would be very happy with the same energy density.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:52 PM
Suspended

+1
anybody griping about runtime needs to go back to the nicad era when we were lucky to get through a 4 minute race without dumping
Old 10-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dave H
One possible area that could be revisited is multi link suspension. That's a major full size evolution over the past few decades, especially in the rear suspension. Seems doable, links are already used, has been done in the past, original Losi, some others. Takes more sophisticated design, but perhaps not a big challenge to manufacture.
what the losi engineers and team drivers found way back when was, while brilliant in concept that the link system was only of advantage on rougher tracks. the smoother the track, it was almost counter productive. it resulted in them adopting the same H-arm system that had been used by others in the past and now into the future, and that's not even accounting for the even smoother tracks we're all typically running today.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by madweazl
... It adds to the complexity of the vehicle design and worse in my mind, a speed control that is capable of "syncing" said motors. Then you have to factor in additional weight.
I'd like to see a twin rear/mid motor setup driving each rear wheel and have twin ESCs that uses a common computer to change the speed of the inner wheel on turns. Like McLaren does with their 'brake-steer' on their current road cars and past F1 cars (before it was banned for being a huge advantage).

htppizyy mp4-12c.over-blog.com/pages/Brake_steer_and_McLaren_airbrake-4755899.html

EDIT Sorry- thought this was the on-road section.

Last edited by firefoxussr; 10-02-2013 at 02:05 PM. Reason: noob
Old 10-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by firefoxussr
I'd like to see a twin rear/mid motor setup driving each rear wheel and have twin ESCs that uses a common computer to change the speed of the inner wheel on turns. Like McLaren does with their 'brake-steer' on their current road cars and past F1 cars (before it was banned for being a huge advantage).

htppizyy mp4-12c.over-blog.com/pages/Brake_steer_and_McLaren_airbrake-4755899.html

EDIT Sorry- thought this was the on-road section.
You would need two separate gearboxes though.

What about hydraulic brakes for rc cars? (Like on some 5th scales) Cool idea I think. But probably overkill for these little guys.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:15 PM
No9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

1.Electrics will become smaller.
2.Better materials.
3.Nitro will die and you will be able to buy a nitro sound simulator for your ep8 buggy.
4. On board telemetry may become available.??
Old 10-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by No9
1.Electrics will become smaller.
2.Better materials.
3.Nitro will die and you will be able to buy a nitro sound simulator for your ep8 buggy.
4. On board telemetry may become available.??
1. http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/r...roup_id=100003
2. better than what?
3. people still run nitro?
4. http://www.spektrumrc.com/Technology/Telemetry.aspx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.