Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Full throttle, esc shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 12:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Full throttle, esc shuts off

I have a hpi sprint to flux with stock motor and mmp esc with 2s 5300 30 to 60c , my question is why when I put all the same elctronics and battery in my direct drive 2wd pan car it cuts off when I give it full throttle(when I punch it)? .. Thanks
Old 09-26-2013, 12:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Most likely gearing , if the motor turns too many rpms the ESC will shut off , try a bigger pinion gear and see if that fixes it.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikpiz
Most likely gearing , if the motor turns too many rpms the ESC will shut off , try a bigger pinion gear and see if that fixes it.
???? Not likely. 1) A bigger pinion will not change how many RPMs the motor turns and 2) the esc doesn't know if you have a 25.5 or a 5.5 motor hooked up so there isn't a way for it to "limit" the number of rpms it will turn.

The only thing I can think of is amp draw causing shut down perhaps? What motor are you using?
Old 09-26-2013, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

MMP? Browning out under full throttle? If it were my money, I'd bet that either a glitchbuster capacitor or an external BEC may solve your problem.

Are you running a Spektrum radio?
Old 09-26-2013, 01:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

The castle motors have a 100,000 rpm motor limit though.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ThePanda
The castle motors have a 100,000 rpm motor limit though.
That's an engineering limit for the rotor, not the esc. Also since he was only running 2s it will never hit that limit. Lastly, castle motors are sensorless so there is no way for the esc to know how fast it is going (sensored is a different story)
Old 09-26-2013, 02:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkiiina
That's an engineering limit for the rotor, not the esc.
True

Also since he was only running 2s it will never hit that limit.
True. At 8.4v full charge, you would need a 12000kv motor to get 100,000 rpm. Only a few of their motors are near that, and they are airplane motors. Ground stuff is usually 8000kv or less for 1/16 scale, and 5000kv or less in 1/10 scale.

Lastly, castle motors are sensorless so there is no way for the esc to know how fast it is going (sensored is a different story)
Not true. The sensor isn't there to tell what your RPM is, it's there to get a more accurate reading of the position of the rotor. The ESC MUST know which phase the rotor is in, or it wouldn't know when to switch to the next phase, and your motor would not run. When a motor is sensorless, the ESC can tell where the rotor is by inductance, plus even without that, it would know each time the rotor has completed one rotation because the ESC has complete one full sequence of energizing A,B,C,-A,-B,-C . If the motor does anything different from what the ESC tells it to do, your car will not drive well at all!

See this video for how a brushless motor works.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

That's an engineering limit for the rotor, not the esc. Also since he was only running 2s it will never hit that limit. Lastly, castle motors are sensorless so there is no way for the esc to know how fast it is going (sensored is a different story)
That's what i meant. I was disagreeing to this post. Its not that the motor is Going to fast, 2s is not enough voltage.

Last edited by ThePanda; 09-26-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:51 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

???? Not likely. 1) A bigger pinion will not change how many RPMs the motor turns and 2) the esc doesn't know if you have a 25.5 or a 5.5 motor hooked up so there isn't a way for it to "limit" the number of rpms it will turn.
Of course it does, acceleration is rpm / time, so a bigger pinion will change the acceleration curve, thus giving less rpm over time initially and also will lengthen the duration at which peak rpm are met. Also, RPM is not a static constant for any system, it is an exponential which declines as gearing is increased.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:57 PM
Tech Master

Recalibrate your TX & RX. Things probably change between them. Even though I the same component.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber
Of course it does, acceleration is rpm / time, so a bigger pinion will change the acceleration curve, thus giving less rpm over time initially and also will lengthen the duration at which peak rpm are met. Also, RPM is not a static constant for any system, it is an exponential which declines as gearing is increased.
I am speaking strictly about peak rpm at the motor, not how long it takes to get there. Theoretically you can run 1:1 and with a long enough track you will still hit the same RPM (ignore aerodynamics, friction, etc), will take you alot longer to get there but the motor will not be spinning any faster at peak than if you had a 10t pinion installed.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlueGlowBoy
MMP? Browning out under full throttle? If it were my money, I'd bet that either a glitchbuster capacitor or an external BEC may solve your problem.

Are you running a Spektrum radio?
+1
Old 09-26-2013, 04:22 PM
Suspended

I am speaking strictly about peak rpm at the motor, not how long it takes to get there. Theoretically you can run 1:1 and with a long enough track you will still hit the same RPM (ignore aerodynamics, friction, etc), will take you alot longer to get there but the motor will not be spinning any faster at peak than if you had a 10t pinion installed.
And this still will not happen. As you increase gearing, you increase load on the system, which has a two fold effect on rpm, firstly it will reduce the max rpm and because the system has to work harder to overcome the resistive force of the load, it becomes less efficient and wastes more energy to heat, all of which reduce the rpm potential of the motor.

All this can be seen when you dyno a motor under load, take any motor and dyno it with and fdr of 8 and 4 and watch the rpm drop. Sure a motor might have a potential max rpm of voltage x kv but after that physics takes over to limit that max rpm all over the place.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber
And this still will not happen. As you increase gearing, you increase load on the system, which has a two fold effect on rpm, firstly it will reduce the max rpm and because the system has to work harder to overcome the resistive force of the load, it becomes less efficient and wastes more energy to heat, all of which reduce the rpm potential of the motor.

All this can be seen when you dyno a motor under load, take any motor and dyno it with and fdr of 8 and 4 and watch the rpm drop. Sure a motor might have a potential max rpm of voltage x kv but after that physics takes over to limit that max rpm all over the place.
This will not fix the OP's issue and we are getting way off topic. If you were to increase the size of the pinion you would only generate more heat as the motor could not overcome the load. If you read the post I was responding to initially you will see he was talking about the ESC thinking the motor was over-revving. If you have documentation on the MMP having this capability I will gladly take a step back and admit I made a mistake.

Be helpful or be quiet is the bottom line.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:47 PM
Suspended

This will not fix the OP's issue and we are getting way off topic. If you were to increase the size of the pinion you would only generate more heat as the motor could not overcome the load. If you read the post I was responding to initially you will see he was talking about the ESC thinking the motor was over-revving. If you have documentation on the MMP having this capability I will gladly take a step back and admit I made a mistake.

Be helpful or be quiet is the bottom line.
Well there is not enough information to make a call one way or the other. Really need to know what the FDR are for both cars, as that is the only difference here, same esc, same motor, 2 different cars and one produces this issue, the only difference is gearing, and if i knew the FDR of both i could give him a solution, but for argument sake, it is either under geared or over geared. Assuming the same radio gear is being used, as that is the only other place this issue could creep in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.