Wiki Posts
Search

Rc8.2e diff noise help,

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 04:25 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Rc8.2e diff noise help,

Well I noticed my front end had a lil noise. So I took entire car apart last night refilled all diffs with 5k and put new diff and new pinion gear on the front it still has a lil noise or like it's catching on something, I have not ran car yet because motor won't be here till we'd. But up I can turn the rear by hand and it's smooth as can be.

So tore it back down today put a another new pinion gear on and made sure shims where on each side good and I put a new diff housing, it still has the noise. Is it maybe because it's all new and has to wear a lil or what I don't get it.

Any help would be great
Old 09-23-2013, 04:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Mine was a little tight the first time i built it after a few runs it loosened up.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:37 PM
Suspended

So u think its normal it almost feels like it's catching but I was kinda thinking like what you said may just be that it's new
Old 09-23-2013, 04:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

yea also make sure to just tighten the screws to "finger tight", ive noticed if i use a electric driver, or really crank down with force its usually too tight
Old 09-23-2013, 05:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi brandon 32689,

You should place two 89117 shims on the opposite side of the diff ring gear.
I don't know if the noise you have is because of this, but ...
When you tighten the screws of the gearboxes, the bearings are tighten, and if your diff is not well placed, the play between the tooth of the diff ring gear and the diff pinion gear, is reduce to zero !
The manual talks about one 89117 shim on each side, but I recommend you 2 shims on the left side of your car ( front train ). And you can make the same thing for your rear train.
You talk about a noise on the front train, but maybe it is your first RC8 ? Then if the noise you have is when you turn the wheels (on power), it is maybe the screw on the servo saver, it touchs the body (depends of the body). This happens to me sometimes when I run on grass !
Make sure your servo saver is tighten !
ye !

Last edited by KOULLIT; 09-23-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:22 PM
Suspended

I found out what the original noise was, the bearing failed on the pinion gear and front center pinion was sliding around. Sorry I didn't say that, but now I got a new gear box with new gears pinion and rack and spider gears all new.

I tried the shims both ways it actually felt smoother by doing one on each side. I just feel like it catches on something but it may just need to be broke in?
Old 09-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Suspended

Any other opinions