Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Airbrush Information and Questions >

Airbrush Information and Questions

Airbrush Information and Questions

Old 08-20-2001, 09:49 PM

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks Jeff C for your information.

How do you adjust your air pressure on your compressors?

Do you have pressure guages?

Cmotif <><
Old 08-20-2001, 09:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yeah, I've just got a regulator on mine. There's a knob, with a gauge on each side. One gauge reads tank pressure, the other reads line pressure. I just turn the knob until I've got the line pressure about where I want to start, and then I'll adjust it if I need to while painting.
Old 08-21-2001, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

Default Make sure you can put out about 30 PSI

kansas, I've been using Createx paints for a while now. I decided to try them before someone mentioned to me that Faskolor paints are Createx repackaged (Createx is less expensive).

Anyway, depending on the type of acrylic paint (Flourescent, Pearl, etc.), you need a good pressure to allow the paint to flow properly. Just make sure whatever compressor you get, it can put out in that range. 25-35 PSI should be good. Your standard lacquer based paint should require a bit less.

I use a Paasche VL Double Action airbrush. I think the going price nowadays is about $60, with three needles (1-3-5), the hose, and a few paintjars. Not a bad deal if you ask me. I like it because it's a bit fatter than most airbrushes, so it fits well in my hand.

If anyone else is interested in using Createx paint, may I suggest that you also pick up some Createx "Bond All". It helps the paint stick even better to the lexan.
Old 08-21-2001, 03:00 PM
Tech Regular

Cool

Hey TurnNBurn

Where do you get Createx paint and what kind do you use for lexan, any WebSites???

Do you mix the Bond All with the Paint or do you spray it on first???

Thanks

Bradley J. Gotori
[email protected]
Old 08-21-2001, 03:47 PM
Tech Master

Hi guys, i've always used to spray cans because of the way my friend's bodies turn out. He uses a cheap testors(like I have), and one touch to the wall, the paint starts cracking off(not really bad, but it does). But me, i've never EVER had paint crack off on me(except on actual dents and I pushed them back out). SO is it just the way he paints?(he uses those canned propellant things) I would like to try a airbrush to be more creative but I don't want the paint to crack off. Thanks for any answers you can give me
Old 08-21-2001, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

Cool

WHOA! Parma is createx re-pacaged! Really?
Old 08-21-2001, 04:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Most decent art supply shops carry the Createx line of paints.

Another line to look at is Dr. Ph. Martins paints, also in art supply shops. They've got some nice colors that aren't available from Parma or Createx. http://www.docmartins.com/17.htm

Trips
Old 08-21-2001, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

Cool

Hey, cool!

That stinks that I found out about the parma stuff just today though, cause two days ago I ordered ten bottles of parma!
Old 08-21-2001, 06:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

AE, what paint is he using? If you don't use a flexible paint made for lexan (FasKolor, Parma, or others like them) it will crack when the body bends on impact.
Old 08-21-2001, 06:14 PM
Tech Master

uh, its pactra racing finish, for lexan, polycarbonate...same stuff I use in the cans, except he uses it in airbrush
Old 08-21-2001, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Cool

then he must be doing something wrong! The parma stuff works alot better, I hear. Maybe he should use that. It's a lot easier to clean too.
Old 08-21-2001, 07:42 PM
Tech Master

bgotori - Like trips said, you can find it at most good Arts and Crafts supply stores. I use their standard line. They also have an AutoAir line, but that's more for painting on hard surfaces; I've never tried it.

One website that I know of where you can buy some is www.bearair.com . The Bond All gets mixed with the paint before you apply it. It only requires about 4 drops per oz. I usually just add 2-3 drops to the quantity I pour in my paintjar. Just so that you know, you should only add it when you're ready to paint. Don't add it to paint you're not going to use right away.

Speedo - That's what another painter from Europe in the Serpent Bodies and Painting forum told me. Apparently, a friend of his is in the paint industry... that's where he got the info. If you look at the bottles, they look the same to me! That would also explain why Createx is a little cheaper.

One IMPORTANT thing about these acrylics. You gotta let them dry! Preferably 48 hours to fully cure. As for separate coats, they take a lot longer to dry. I use a blow dryer to help speed up the drying process... Works like a charm!
Old 08-21-2001, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

Cool

Yeah, I heard ya gotta let them dry. The website I'll be buying my airbrush from is www.dixieart.com , great prices. Anyone here tried the Iwata CS? That's what I'm getting...Got a design worked out for my XXX and everything!
Old 08-21-2001, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Default A bit of advice...

Don't try painting the body as your first airbrush project! Buy a small Watercolor pad from an art store and practice using the brush for a while to get used to how it sprays. You'll also want to practice cleaning and maintaining it too. Believe me, you'll be glad you did!

(Based on what you've posted so far, I'm assuming you've never painted with an airbrush before?)
Old 08-21-2001, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Cool

Nope, never...I plan on just cutting some clear pop bottles in half and using them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.