Search
Like Tree3Likes

VBC Lightning 12

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 10:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

celt,

I was frustrated with the stock shock, it leaked for me as well. I opened the small hole in the top of the cap, some say thats the way to bleed excess fluid. It just leaked and I could not get the hole to seal with a set screw.

Also the collar to adjust the spring was a pain to adjust, the o ring that goes inside the collar made it almost impossible to turn.

I ordered a Calandra shock http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...ln3290/p152110

I might also try an Associated http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...asc4666/p75973

I'll let you know how the Calandra works as soon as I get it installed
Old 11-18-2015, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

For what it's worth I have heard multiple people (whose opinions I value and trust) say that the Team Prime shocks are the best out there for 12th scale cars:

http://www.reflexracing.net/Team-Pri...et_p_2232.html
Old 11-18-2015, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

I'm surprised to read about the shock leaking. I've built mine as any other shock, with green slime and just drilling a 1mm hole after the "second" O-ring because the air had obviously nowhere to go once the shaft was through it. I did end up changing to a CRC Encore because the VBC shock had mad slop in the top cap (where the ball stud goes) and because I wanted to use regular-sized center springs.

But otherwise the VBC was fine in its function, it did not leak and it was OK smooth (the o-rings were perhaps a tiny bit on the tight side but nothing worrying).
Old 11-19-2015, 03:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tekin112000
celt,

I was frustrated with the stock shock, it leaked for me as well. I opened the small hole in the top of the cap, some say thats the way to bleed excess fluid. It just leaked and I could not get the hole to seal with a set screw.

Also the collar to adjust the spring was a pain to adjust, the o ring that goes inside the collar made it almost impossible to turn.

I ordered a Calandra shock http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...ln3290/p152110

I might also try an Associated http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...asc4666/p75973

I'll let you know how the Calandra works as soon as I get it installed
The last thing I might try before replacement, is that I've heard some using the Encore o-rings in the VBC shock - claimed to fix the leaking.

Thanks for the ideas/comments. I'll give this a try and report back.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I gave up on the encore shock. It seems like a quality shock but I could never get the correct length.

I tried with out of the box build but it was so short that there was absolutely zero pod droop. I got a shock extender but that seems to make the shock too long.

So now I am waiting, I ordered a VBC racing shock cap to replace the one I originally installed. My mistake was putting a bleeder hole in it.

Others have said they had good luck with the VBC shock so I am going to try it again with new o-rings
Old 12-21-2015, 07:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi there,

can someone tell me if the kingpins for this car are well 1/8"?

Thanks in advance,
G-rem
Old 12-21-2015, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by G-rem
Hi there,

can someone tell me if the kingpins for this car are well 1/8"?

Thanks in advance,
G-rem
The kingpins fit the AE frontend if that's what you are asking(?) But yeah, they are 1/8. I'm just making a note here, but don't get the Ti coated ones. They aren't smooth at all. I thought they were cool because they were captured by the screw. That's the only cool part about them. Invest in some Xenon ones instead. Ultra smooth.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Are you sure that the stock kingpins are 1/8"? I broke a stock one, and when I tried to use an Associated kingpin to replace it, I also had to replace the balls in the upper and lower arms as the holes were too small for the Associated pin. I think they may be 3mm instead of 1/8".
Old 12-21-2015, 10:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Serzoni
Are you sure that the stock kingpins are 1/8"? I broke a stock one, and when I tried to use an Associated kingpin to replace it, I also had to replace the balls in the upper and lower arms as the holes were too small for the Associated pin. I think they may be 3mm instead of 1/8".
That's why I was asking because I had the exact same experience: I bought VBC balls to put on my AE 12R5.2 but they didn't fit the AE/Xenon Ti coated kingpin, inner diameter too small...

My initial question is to define if I can use the Lightning 10 alu steering knuckles with my AE style front end on my Pro10

Thanks,
G-rem
Old 12-21-2015, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

I don't know if the VBC comes with Ti coated or not, but the ones I have here with me were just over 3mm and just under 1/8 according to my calipers. I'll go back and remeasure them vs. my Xenon kingpins and post up some pics...
Old 12-21-2015, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Ok, they are very close. I have no AE kingpins on hand so I was unable to check those. But here is what I have.

Xenon in mm.

Xenon in inches.

VBC Ti in mm.

VBC Ti in inches.

As you can see they are very close so maybe the tolerance is that close in the balls.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
Ok, they are very close. I have no AE kingpins on hand so I was unable to check those. But here is what I have.

Xenon in mm.

Xenon in inches.

VBC Ti in mm.

VBC Ti in inches.

As you can see they are very close so maybe the tolerance is that close in the balls.
Thank you very much for the measures!
Did you try to put the Xenon axle in the VBC balls?
Old 12-22-2015, 11:12 PM
Tech Elite

No, I don't run a VBC car. I run the Reflex Racing RR12 V2 with Xenon frontend. I thought I would try the VBC Ti coated kingpins because they would be easy to make spring changes just by unscrewing the end off. But I found that the VBC pins have a weird texture which causes them to bind up easy. Not as silky smooth as the Xenon Ti coated kingpins. It was just an experiment.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi people,

anyone knows somethnig about VBC new 12th scale car? I was told it should be released at the and of February but notnihg is happening and nobody seems to know anything.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It's coming...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.