Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TRC Foam Alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 06:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default TRC Foam Alternatives

Anyone have any luck running other brand foam tires on carpet? Orion and Yokomo offer 26mm foams with similar shore ratings. Are there advantages to running a more narrow tire? (scrubbing less speed perhaps?)
Old 06-22-2005, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The popular tire brands for carpet are PARMA, trc, CRC, Jaco and BSR. The standard width is 28mm. The narrower tire will place more weight on the contact patch, and if I'm not mistaken, generally result in a bit more scrub. Also, tires designed for outdoor Nitro racing generally SUCK on carpet. There's quite a bit more to a tire's handling properties than just the shore rating. Two different types of foam can have the exact same shore rating, yet react entirely differently on the race track. An excellent example of this is the Pink and White compounds for 12th scale.

Hope this helps
Old 06-22-2005, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Also, tires designed for outdoor Nitro racing generally SUCK on carpet. There's quite a bit more to a tire's handling properties than just the shore rating.
Generally, but not always. I've been using Jaco Nitro Shoes (26mm 40 shore frt & 30mm 35 shore rr) on carpet and they handle just as good as a Parma Plaid/Purple & Magenta combination. In fact they wear less, weigh less and soak up the sauce much faster.

Most of the local guys, and a Jaco rep, tried to talk me out of it for the first couple of months last year, but they can't argue with the lap times and couple of first place A main finishes I've produced with them lately. Used em with my old Losi XXXs, my old Xray FK04 and the new FK05.

You can see em in my avatar pic.

As a matter of fact, I'm going to test using the IMEX foams that are pre-mounted on chrome wheels later this week. *bling, bling*
Old 06-22-2005, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teamgp
Generally, but not always. I've been using Jaco Nitro Shoes (26mm 40 shore frt & 30mm 35 shore rr) on carpet and they handle just as good as a Parma Plaid/Purple & Magenta combination. In fact they wear less, weigh less and soak up the sauce much faster.

Most of the local guys, and a Jaco rep, tried to talk me out of it for the first couple of months last year, but they can't argue with the lap times and couple of first place A main finishes I've produced with them lately. Used em with my old Losi XXXs, my old Xray FK04 and the new FK05.

You can see em in my avatar pic.

As a matter of fact, I'm going to test using the IMEX foams that are pre-mounted on chrome wheels later this week. *bling, bling*
That's why I said GENERALLY. Some places, depending on type of carpet, which traction compounds are allowed etc. they may work.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

I will admit that with zero compound they don't have enough grip on carpet. I've had to remind myself to re-sauce them after trueing them down a few tenths. Paragon makes em work very well though.