Old 06-21-2005, 11:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Spec Tires for ROAR Nationals

http://www.team-orion.ch/global/global_news.asp?id=2975
Old 06-21-2005, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Glad to see the Mfgs get together and agree to this. Makes it a lot cheaper for the privateer to prepare for this race.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Why did ROAR change the Spec Tire rule to begin with!?

The next thing that NEEDS be done to improve attendance at ROAR Nationals would to go to organized, controlled practice ONLY; maybe 3 or 4 rounds each day, on Wednesday/Thursday only, some on Friday followed by qualifying Friday afternoons/Saturdays. Run mains Sunday and finish at a DECENT hour...eliminate open practice and extra travel days.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:01 PM
Tech Regular

Default Roar take notice to what the manufacturers are suggesting.

I feel the Manufacturers with this suggestion feel that a spec tire is best for racing, this helps keep cost down at these events. But I do agree for the reason Roar did away with the tire hand out rule. The rule put a lot of burdon on the host track when it came to purchasing tires for the National. With the manufacturers now stepping in and saying they will be running this spacific tire and insert, maybe the medium in the rule can be made. Instead of the track having to purchase the tires and monitor them, they could just list a tire to be used and that will be checked to make sure that tire is the one being used. Ex: Just like what the manufacturers are doing, on the entry form a specific tire can be named the control tire(in off-road this is easy to check since most off-roaders can look and see the difference between the tires) and that will be the only tire that is allowed to pass through tech(since easily identified by what tread they are). There is no need to limit the number used, just that the rule should state that there will be only a certain tire allowed to run.

I think this is one of the best things the manufacturers can do to help keep the cost of racing down. I applaud you for this.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:56 PM
Tech Regular

Awesome. Now we know what tire we have to bring. Not a guessing game until we get there. I'm really happy that they did this. Now I can bring X amount of sets of the same tire, not X of this and X of that.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:05 PM
Tech Regular

This isn't to say that everyone has to run the tires that the manufactures agreed to. This is a way for us (the manufactures) to control costs and help the average racer keep their costs down as well (if they choose). If you want to compete on the same tires as the pros, bring these...if you'd like to try something different you're more than welcome to.

In no way is this an "official" control tire race, just for those drivers listed.

Brent Thielke
Associated Race Team Manager
Old 06-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So this is more of an attempt to bring the competition from the locals closer to the sponsored drivers? But what if a differnet tire is really working that much better and the "non-sponsored" drivers run it and beat everyone? Then what? I like the idea of buying tires before the race and everyone running the same tires, but making it almost un-fair for the pros doesnt seem like much fun to me even if I did beat them.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:21 PM
Tech Master

Last edited by Orange; 06-21-2005 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:04 PM
Tech Regular

I actually thinkt hat the manufacturers are hopeing that everyone will follow suite and this will become a stepping stone for future national events. Everyone knows how much it can cost running at a National event, This is just a great step made by the manufacturers in an attempt to help cut the costs. If someone doesn't think that runnning a better tire than what the pro's will be running, will be a gratifying victory, then I bet that person will end up running the same tire to see if it is the tire that makes the real difference or the driver.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Ok, to play devils advocate, it is less than a month until the race & this decision was made... That is great... The manufactures have come to an agreement....That is great...

NOW, I am a local racer and I know that those tire combonations are to put it lightly...JUNK! And it is NOT a ROAR rule that I have to run these tires. What will happen when I use the tires I want???

Seriously, if I run different tires is that ok?

Sorry to seem like a jerk, but where did they get their info to decide upon these tires??? Did they ask someone who races at each track?
Old 06-21-2005, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Ok, I'm new to the sport, but I have 18 year in racing go-carts at a national level, only runing the big events. I assure you that the big boys will have tires with the correct markings on them, but this is far from that tire. No manufacture will risk loss of business on a "tire" rule. One way to solve this, is to contract a manufacuture, and they must bring the tires, you must purchase them at the race track, then inpound them. Everyone gets tires from the same hopper.... if you will.. When we ran the national events, the poor average guy got 150.00 per set tires, I however, was on 1500.00 tires at race time, with the same marking as the 150.00 per set. The sad part, is the manufactures are the problem, it is a business and they will not risk a loss.

B
Old 06-21-2005, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Bvolts, ROAR has just lifted the spec tire rule this year. Last years nationals, there was a poor choice for the handout tire and tire wear was almost unmanageable. Instead of a possible fix for the tire rule, ROAR threw it out completely and lets everyone bring whatever they want to race, including factory prototype treads and compounds.

This decision is an attempt by the manufactures, basically saying they are going to be running spec tires, to try and keep costs under control for themselves and other racers.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:44 PM
Tech Master

Its actually interesting the tires that they have picked and i am not quite sure were they got those suggestions from... RC Madness is one of the tracks in my area and I have run there a good bit this year (mainly a carpet guy, but hey, nats in my backyard, lol) and dont think i will be stocking up on those tires perse...

And actually compared to many other things in rc, if these people actually dont stick to the tire it will be VERY easy for us to tell since at that track i would think that the tread has alot more importance than the compound... As far as inserts though, but i would think tread would be the most important...
Old 06-21-2005, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Sorry for my mis reading of this rule... So the team drivers (or teams) are saying they are "planing" to run the tires on the above link? If that is the case, it will be interesting.... What about the idea of a durometer range and this was a tech item after every heat for everyone.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:57 PM
Tech Addict

Its not that I dont like the idea, but why make an "optional" spec tire? Who honestly wants to use a tire that the fastest drivers arent allowed to. I understand what the idea and the goals are, and think its great. But if its not enforeced and everyone doesnt do it, then why make the best of the best be restricted due to the agreement?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.