Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spec Tires for ROAR Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 08:02 PM
Tech Regular

Regarding the tire choice...

These tires were chose for a few different reasons.

1) They are the same tires (2wd & 4wd) that are used at this year's IFMAR World Championships.

2) The manufactures tried to strike an "even" balance among all three classes to gain equal representation of both Losi and Pro-Line tires.

Are these the most desirable tire for the track? Probably not, especially in 4wd. Will the cars still go around the track...yes. Will the pros still be competitive...absolutely. Is it creating a buzz and talk about the event...unquestionably.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have a honest question. I have never been to a event that was big enough to attract alot of sponsored guys or anything. But wonder in such races how many non factory drivers, race in the factory class?
Old 06-21-2005, 09:26 PM
Tech Regular

Runnin RC10, when an event is large enough to have a seperation of Factory and Open(Open being non factory sponsored drivers), if there are a total of 50 in the factory class I would say around 10% are not sponsored, between 10-30% are partial with a factory and the rest are all out sponsored. In the Open, if there are 50 in that class, between 5-20% are partially sponsored. But at a National event, if there are 100 entries in buggy, close to 50% will be 75% or more sponsorship from a factory, 25% will be partial sponsored and the rest will have no sponsor what so ever.

Those are very rough, but from my experience, the percentages are close, +-5%
Old 06-21-2005, 09:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ive always just thought that the factory guys are factory for a reason, and let them run whatever they want. Fast will be fast, why slow them down?
Old 06-21-2005, 10:17 PM
Tech Regular

Well at a National event, it is suppose to be about the best driver(yes this ussually means a factory driver, but there are some fast drivers not sponsored). To help find out who is the best driver, they try to restrict rules to help level the racing field so a manufacturer can not create something that only their team can use and dominate an event, thus it would not be the best driver but the best equipment winning. Along with the manufacturers in the past have spent unwanted amounts of money at these events and feel that they need to reduce costs for them along with all the other drivers. To me this helps sell their product because it shows they do care about the racer, even those who use other products. There are a lot of non sanctioned races held every year that have factory drivers seperate from non factory drivers, here is where most testing is done prior to becoming a production item and are unveiled. This way people know going in that they could possibly be beat by better equipment if they run in the factory class, instead of just the better driver, or they can opt to run in the open class where they will more than likely have the same equipment as everyone else.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Interesting conversation

especially from the "guys in the area of/run at Rcmadness.People have been trying to get info on the "hot" tires for a bit now with no one responding.Instead of just saying these choices are junk etc.,how about offering an alternative?The nationals thread on the madness website has questions relating to this for awhile with no one responding.So....any better ideas/info on the "correct" tires to run?Thanks,Mario.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tyreguy
Ok, to play devils advocate, it is less than a month until the race & this decision was made... That is great... The manufactures have come to an agreement....That is great...

NOW, I am a local racer and I know that those tire combonations are to put it lightly...JUNK! And it is NOT a ROAR rule that I have to run these tires. What will happen when I use the tires I want???

Seriously, if I run different tires is that ok?

Sorry to seem like a jerk, but where did they get their info to decide upon these tires??? Did they ask someone who races at each track?
You should run the tires and/or additive you want to run since there is no rule that says you can't. Just because the factories get together and make an agreement does not mean you are obligated to play along.

In fact I am not sure why this is even publicized. What is the point?? They can agree to run tires without telling everyone about it. The only thing that can come from is pressure upon fast local drivers to run what the factory guys are or be accused of doing well or making the main because they were on "better" tires.

Last edited by Rick Hohwart; 06-22-2005 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

i dont have the rules in front of me. On 4wd you can run cut tires in the front?? without problems??
Old 06-22-2005, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

You can as long as the car falls below the maximum width.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

How pissed with some of those sponsored guys be when a local guy motors past them in the corners because they're running softer/better tread tires and the sponsored guy "agreed" to run the agreed spec tire?

I think the manufacturers are showing up ROAR, either unintentionally or intentionally, and ROAR again comes away looking bad.

I think there ought to be official spec tire rules at events like this - instead of putting the onus on the host track to provide the tires, simply inform the racers of the tires allowed when the entry forms are printed, and they can bring a few sets. Limit the number of tires used. Number and label the assembled tires like they've been doing at the Reedy Race (TC) for years now. It's not rocket science, really - but it does take more volunteers to handle the checking of tires, etc. Small price to pay IMO. The freakin' RRoC is so popular they had to go to an unpopular lottery system to satisfy racers who can't be bothered to print out an online PDF and overnight it (but that's a separate beef I have, for another thread).
Old 06-22-2005, 09:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

this conversation is almost too funny. In truck (at madness) alot of the guys have been having very good performance with m3 holeshots in the rear with every other row of pins cut off. Those tire choices are not very far off the mark.

Only the racers on that list made the agreement to run a specific tire, and obviously to get used to the tire they will be running at the world championships. So why is everybody going nuts about this? If you think your going to win the nationals using a different tire, by all means try it. ROAR has stated there is NO spec tire for this race.

I doubt any sponsered guys would be pissed if they were beaten because average joe was running a better tire at the nationals - i think that whole list is going to the world champs.

How is ROAR being showed up? The drivers on that list might get showed up, but thats about it.

Since Losi and Pro-line always attend these big races anyway, why don't they bring the spec tire if one is required?
Old 06-22-2005, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
The only thing that can come from is pressure upon fast local drivers to run what the factory guys are or be accused of doing well or making the main because they were on "better" tires.
Or maybe, simply have ROAR re-evaluate their decision to do away w/ Spec Tires and avoid all of this BS altogether.

Controlled practice needs to be looked into as well. Should be set-up like Cleveland, you get to run in your practice heats and that is it. Stop the open practice, of the earlier in the week you can get to the race the more practice you get.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

i really don't understand the fuss about having an open tire policy. Most people call the track, find out what tire works, and bring their own tires. its been that way for decades. Its really not a problem.

If your going to be lazy, and try to ask the local racers who are competing in the nationals, only on the internet, why would you expect them to tell you the hot tire setup? Because they are nice? Sounds like they are keeping a tight lip to take any advantage they can get. Mark Smyka, their local fast guy, listed on Trinity's Tech Talk what tires he was using, go search there.

Some people spend too much time on this forum complaining just to start an arguement. Not to mention too many people want ridiculous rules. If you can't beat the fast guys with the current rules, then your not going to beat them no matter what rules are in place. Go practice if you want to beat the fast guys, stop whining and wanting more/different rules.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Doug D
Or maybe, simply have ROAR re-evaluate their decision to do away w/ Spec Tires and avoid all of this BS altogether.

Controlled practice needs to be looked into as well. Should be set-up like Cleveland, you get to run in your practice heats and that is it. Stop the open practice, of the earlier in the week you can get to the race the more practice you get.
I agree with the controlled practice.

The problem with tires is the companies that supply them have some pretty lame return policies if any at all. Most hand out motors (in Team Orion's case) are sent in advance and the track pays for what is used and returns what is not used so there is no financial risk involved.

If tire comnpanies would use adopt the same policy there would be no problem. Tracks don't want to get stuck and pay for extra tires that may not even be the best option for their track surface which make them a hard sell.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

This is unfortunate the title to this thread says Spec Tires for ROAR Nationals. The gentleman's agreement between Losi and Associated is a WONDERFUL step in the right direction for creating a workable handout rule... but, this is causing a lot of confusion with the participants of the event.

Again.... ROAR has no HANDOUT rule for the off road modified nationals in 2005. You may run whatever tire you choose to run at this event as long as it fits the class and the specifications found in the rule book. Cutting of tires is not allowed when using a carcass from one class to another although you may modify and cut tires from the same classes.. ie: 2wd and 4wd.

Please contact any ROAR Executive Committee member for inquiries if you wish. Emails are found on the website under "structure".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.