Search

Help needed to choose a new ESC

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Help needed to choose a new ESC

Hi everyone,

I need to buy a new ESC for my Awesomatix but I can't make my choice...

So, according to you, which esc is the best/more suitable for 10.5t blinky/boosted motor and 6.5t/7.5t boosted motors on a touring car? And why? (what about heating control, power, smoothness, software stability,...)

LRP Flow Worksteam, HobbyWing Xerun V3.1, MuchMore Fleta 4, Team Orion Vortex R10 Pro, others...?

Thanks a lot for your advices.

Best regards,
G-rem
Old 08-16-2013, 07:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It really does not matter which esc you use.A $50.00 esc will do the job.Spend your money on practice.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VTA RACER
It really does not matter which esc you use.A $50.00 esc will do the job.Spend your money on practice.
Normally I would agree with this but in a 10.5 boosted or 6.5 boosted (really any boosted/turbo application) esc does matter.

I used to have a tekin rs pro in my TC and WGT and while I really liked it, my Hobbywing v3.1 is much smoother and just feels better overall. The programming box is a great addition as well.

I have heard nothing but good things about the Orion and have seen them used with much success in a variety of applications. That they want $60+ for the programming card is a minus in my eyes (can't cost more than $15 for them to make it!).
Old 08-17-2013, 02:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkiiina
Normally I would agree with this but in a 10.5 boosted or 6.5 boosted (really any boosted/turbo application) esc does matter.

I used to have a tekin rs pro in my TC and WGT and while I really liked it, my Hobbywing v3.1 is much smoother and just feels better overall. The programming box is a great addition as well.

I have heard nothing but good things about the Orion and have seen them used with much success in a variety of applications. That they want $60+ for the programming card is a minus in my eyes (can't cost more than $15 for them to make it!).
I agree with this post totally - have switched from Tekin to Hobbywing and haven't looked back
Old 08-17-2013, 06:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

+1 on the HW v3.1. Switched from tekin to HW and love the decision. Super easy to use and 10x smoother than the Tekin.

Orca is also a very popular company lately. It seems as though the HW and Orca ESCs are the ones to run lately.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:32 AM
Tech Adept

Lrp or orca,
Lrp a bit more switchy but incredibable power (much smoother than tekin but not as orca)
Orca so smooth better punch and brakes than hw just not as fast.

I felt hw lacked punch and brakes in stock boosted hence buying and trying others.

Only my opinion and what I felt on track
Old 08-17-2013, 11:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hobby Wing for sure. The V3.1 is the fastest and smoothest speedo I have used in a long time. The combo comes with the program box and you can adjust it till your heart is content. It has many more adjustments then the Tekin and if you understand the adjustments you can get much more braking than you need.

Paul Rush
HWNA Team Driver
Falcon Sekido
Old 08-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks all for your answers.

I was looking to the HW V3.1 and just didn't look at the Orca...seems to be a good compromise.
Don't want a LRP speedo, it seems that the Flow heats a lot and it is not as easy to use as other speedo with programing box, so...

And what about MuchMore Fleta 4 and Team Orion? And about Orca so?

Best regards,
G-rem
Old 08-17-2013, 11:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

HW makes the Orion r10 so it's virtually the same ESC.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by G-rem
Thanks all for your answers.

I was looking to the HW V3.1 and just didn't look at the Orca...seems to be a good compromise.
Don't want a LRP speedo, it seems that the Flow heats a lot and it is not as easy to use as other speedo with programing box, so...

And what about MuchMore Fleta 4 and Team Orion? And about Orca so?

Best regards,
G-rem
On the contrary the flow is the easiest to use and setup...... Nothing to plug in just 2 buttons and flashing led's.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Counting LEDs sucks more than just plugging in a box and havin everything easily laid out in front of you.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Any other opinions about the Orca? It seems to be the smoothest esc at that time and had much brake than other, especially when you run with a lot of timing...
What about the heat?

My choice will be done between the HW V3.1 and the Orca Vritra VXX...and maybe the new MuchMore Fleta Pro released very soon...

Thanks for reply,
Best regards,
G-rem
Old 08-20-2013, 04:12 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by G-rem
Hi everyone,

I need to buy a new ESC for my Awesomatix but I can't make my choice...

So, according to you, which esc is the best/more suitable for 10.5t blinky/boosted motor and 6.5t/7.5t boosted motors on a touring car? And why? (what about heating control, power, smoothness, software stability,...)

LRP Flow Worksteam, HobbyWing Xerun V3.1, MuchMore Fleta 4, Team Orion Vortex R10 Pro, others...?

Thanks a lot for your advices.

Best regards,
G-rem
At club we run blinky 10.5, with LRP, HW, Tekin, Orion, Hobbyking, Speedpassion and perhaps a few other esc's all being used, and the same esc's being used in Mod boosted, cannot say anyone is better than the others, but the tekin will smoke motors if their fancy brake mode is set too high.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Not looking at Viper? Their ESC has a nice tweak card and seems to be very smooth.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Don't know about Viper, but I think I have done my choice: it will probably be the new MuchMore Fleta Pro, got a great support from Toni Rheinard, so...

Cheers,
G-rem