Community
Wiki Posts
Search

After run oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 02:50 PM
Tech Regular

Default After run oil

Hy guys, i'm new in gas racing, and want to know wich after run ioil to use in my novarossi rex rer12s3 engine.
What brand? where should i buy it??
Thanks a lot.
MArcelo-Brazil
Old 06-11-2005, 02:56 PM
Tech Addict

Default after run

pretty much any after run iol will work. just get some at your lhs, i always used hobbico.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

hobbico is like the standard, cheap and most lhs's have it. If not they have comparible if not probably better stuff.

Just pick up whatever your lhs has. Stuff like this is what you want to buy there anyways. Shipping little bottles is a waste of money.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:07 PM
Tech Regular

do your self a favor as well as your wallet goto your local auto supply store and get a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil (the red container not the black one) this is the exact same thing as the Hobbico ARO I've seen the MSDS (Material Saftey Data Sheet" on the MMO and if you call hobico to get the info they tell you it's MMO and give you the number to call.

a quart of MMO is usually under 5$ and will refill the hobbico bottle at least 15-20 times.

as with a lot of things in this hobby products are simply relabeled and sold to us the hobbyist's at higher prices because they are so called "hobby specific" products.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:37 PM
Tech Elite

Interesting. I also heard you can use mmo as filter oil. So that means if you have hobbico afterun oil, you also have filter oil?

If so thats cool. Good tip though on the mmo quarts.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by regg151
do your self a favor as well as your wallet goto your local auto supply store and get a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil (the red container not the black one) this is the exact same thing as the Hobbico ARO I've seen the MSDS (Material Saftey Data Sheet" on the MMO and if you call hobico to get the info they tell you it's MMO and give you the number to call.

a quart of MMO is usually under 5$ and will refill the hobbico bottle at least 15-20 times.

as with a lot of things in this hobby products are simply relabeled and sold to us the hobbyist's at higher prices because they are so called "hobby specific" products.
Do NOT use regular Marvel Mistery Oil, but Marvel Mistery Oil for Air Tools.

The regular oil does not have any corrosion inhibitors, but the air tool oil does.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:07 AM
Tech Regular

Default After Run Oil Usage

Be careful how much you use. If you drench your motor with the stuff you will pop a bunch of glow plugs until it's cleared from the combustion chamber.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default MMO

Will not hurt glow plugs,do not use as filter oil,do not use as bearing oil.Air oil offers very good protection and will not gum engine. Also very good cleanser.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:38 AM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by trashcar
Will not hurt glow plugs,do not use as filter oil,do not use as bearing oil.Air oil offers very good protection and will not gum engine. Also very good cleanser.

I agree. One thing to remember is when restarting the motor, there will be a pretty good slug of AR in the crankcase and the engine will probably flame out several times until all the AR is scavenged out of the crankcase.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:32 PM
Tech Regular

Hmm.. then what do u guys recommend to use for filter oil? it seems to me like its the same as my damper oil...haha..
Old 06-13-2005, 10:20 PM
Tech Elite

I just went and bought filter oil. That should do it. LOL. Mine was made by dynamite. Its a pretty large bottle I doubt Ill be buying another in the next 5 years. Figuring it takes like 3 drops to oil a filter.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:36 PM
Tech Master

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned wd-40 to be used as after run oil...
Old 06-14-2005, 05:12 AM
Tech Regular

IMO WD40 is fine for short term storage like 2 - 3 days at most you could go longer then that but I wouldn't myself. The thing about WD40 is that it evaporates over time leaving just a thin film of light oil witch itself evaporates over time. I prefer the marvel mystery oil (same as hobbico ARO) since it takes much longer to evaporate and it's a thicker then WD40 i've put it in engines and left it for several months, flushed out the oil and the engine started right up after a few tugs of the PS.
some people use ATF fluid some plain ol motor oil as long as you use something that will protect against corrosion and wont detonate when you try to start your engine, It's all good.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:24 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by regg151
IMO WD40 is fine for short term storage like 2 - 3 days at most you could go longer then that but I wouldn't myself. The thing about WD40 is that it evaporates over time leaving just a thin film of light oil witch itself evaporates over time. I prefer the marvel mystery oil (same as hobbico ARO) since it takes much longer to evaporate and it's a thicker then WD40 i've put it in engines and left it for several months, flushed out the oil and the engine started right up after a few tugs of the PS.
some people use ATF fluid some plain ol motor oil as long as you use something that will protect against corrosion and wont detonate when you try to start your engine, It's all good.
that would explain why I've never noticed a problem with it... its never got a chance to sit more than a few days..
Old 06-14-2005, 09:59 PM
Tech Regular

are there any non hobby specific off the shelf subistutes like the MMO for filter oils?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.