Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Can brake cleaner be used as motor spray? >

Can brake cleaner be used as motor spray?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can brake cleaner be used as motor spray?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Can brake cleaner be used as motor spray?

I have a can of CRC Brake Cleaner in the red bottle. Will this work to clean my motors?
Old 06-10-2005, 11:58 AM
Tech Regular

Default I would not!

I used it once in a pinch and it removed everything including the paint on the can. It is very harsh and may also eat up the plastic on the end bell.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ducati-Rider
I used it once in a pinch and it removed everything including the paint on the can. It is very harsh and may also eat up the plastic on the end bell.
Yup-use it only in a pinch. Overspray on your pit area can have horrible effects on the car, radio, charger, lexan bodies. LIke he said-anythng plastic it touches it could ruin the appearance of.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

i made that mistake... it ate the whole front of my new body
Old 06-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Tech Master

You can use the green can crc stuff. It is not as harsh and it is non chlorinated. meaning it wont eat your body.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

I use brake cleaner and it works great, just make sure you get the kind that doesn't have CFC in it.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

I've been using the red can CRC stuff and it is pretty wicked stuff, but it just isn't the same as real motor spray.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:05 PM
Tech Master

i just got a big can of brake cleaner while at a national on sunday just gone.

wicked stuff, it is stronger than motor spray and it blows away more crap than motor spray...plus you get twice as much for half the price
Old 06-10-2005, 01:15 PM
Tech Addict

I use a brake cleaner that is non chlorinated. Never had any problems on any kind of plastic from any of the cars I had. But I don't use it on Lexan.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:27 PM
Tech Adept

The stuff to watch out for in brake cleaner is Trichloethylene, this is probably what's melting everything. Most brake cleaners in the UK don't have this stuff anymore cos it's so nasty, you might still be able to get it in the States though.

I've used brake cleaner for years, I know far too many people in the motor trade so can get loads of it for nowt.

//Stu
Old 06-10-2005, 01:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

All R/C car motor sprays are either brake cleaners or electric contact cleaners. R/C companies buy motor spray from the same vendors as brake cleaner companies. You can get the correct brake cleaner/motor spray at the auto parts store. Autozone has some in a gold and black can for $1.99.

The harsh brake cleaners smell strong and have oily feel that take a few extra second to evaporate. The right stuff will smell and flash dry just like motor spray.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

What we do is get "Case IH electrical" cleaner from our local Case dealer. this stuff is priced good works great and comes out of the can with more force then most anything we have ever tried.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've used the Green can CRC plastic safe brake cleaner. Works great. But it does dull the lexan if you try to wipe off a body. Might not be noticable on while bodies. But you'll notice the dull finish if you painted your body say... red or pink or something. Works great for cleaning out bearings too!
Old 06-10-2005, 04:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
All R/C car motor sprays are either brake cleaners or electric contact cleaners. R/C companies buy motor spray from the same vendors as brake cleaner companies. You can get the correct brake cleaner/motor spray at the auto parts store. Autozone has some in a gold and black can for $1.99.

The harsh brake cleaners smell strong and have oily feel that take a few extra second to evaporate. The right stuff will smell and flash dry just like motor spray.
Adrian, what's the brand name on the stuff you use? I started using Barryman's (I think) a while back and had magnets come loose on two motors within a week of starting to use it and haven't touched it since.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:12 PM
Tech Master

I personally dont spray out the can unless it is completely necessary, usually a good squirt of compressed air does the trick there. I always spray downthe arm though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.