Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Kyosho Lazer ZX-6 & ZX-6.6 4WD Thread >

Kyosho Lazer ZX-6 & ZX-6.6 4WD Thread

Like Tree35Likes

Kyosho Lazer ZX-6 & ZX-6.6 4WD Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 01-24-2018, 07:02 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Kyosho Lazer ZX-6 & ZX-6.6 4WD Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: alex4r
Kyosho ZX6.6 New Parts (* = required to update ZX6 to ZX6.6 platform)

LA359B - Center Mount Set (ZX6.6)*
LA375 - Center Diff. Gear Set(ZX6.6)*
LA375-01 - Center Diff. Gear Case Set(ZX6.6)
LA375-78 - Spur Gear(48P-78T/ZX6.6)
LA376 - Center Drive Shaft (71.5/ZX6.6)*
LA377 - Center Drive Shaft (79.5/ZX6.6)* (x2)
LA378 - Center Drive Shaft (88/ZX6.6)*
LA379 - Joint Cup Cover (ZX6/ZX6.6)*
LAW54B-01 - HD Chassis*
LA355B - Side guard set*
UM713B - Rear Arms (from RB6)*
UM561 - Outer rear hinge pins*
LA236-12B - 1.2mm Front sway bar*
LA351B 4-hole front shock tower*

Options
VVC Blades TFW126
Spare Blades TFW001-01

Manuals

Lazer ZX6.6
Lazer ZX6

After Market Bodies

JConcepts Silencer

Weight Reduction options for 13.5 Class

Chassis:
UMW711B - Carbon composite rear arms
LAW60 - Carbon composite front upper bulkhead
LAW61 - Carbon composite rear upper bulkhead
LAW52 - Carbon composite front chassis brace
LAW53 - Carbon composite rear chassis brace
LA209HB - Carbon composite gear boxes (pinion bearing retainer & upper gearbox half only, lower half not compatible/saves 4.6g total)
Driveline:
LA211B - Plastic drive cups for center drive shafts coming out of front & rear gear boxes (requires drilling two holes for set screws to secure LA379)
TFW001 - Aluminum blade style outdrives (for ball diff/requires TF013)
LA202 - Aluminum pinion shafts (for ball diff)
TFW126 - VVC outdrives (for gear diff - front/rear/center)
TFW008 - VVC cross pins (for gear diff - front/rear/center)
Misc:
LAB06LW - LW Blade body
SK0402 - Ti screw set (Available at Lunsfordracing.com)
PTK-T-2111 - Ti screw set (cheaper, slightly less durable option)
LNS7765 - Ti ball studs
LNS2688 - Ti Turnbuckles
LNS36107 - Ti Turnbuckles (super duty)
W0201H - Hard anodized lower shock balls
1-N3024A-R - Aluminum M3x2.4 nuts (for shock standoffs)
1-N3033NA-R - Aluminum M3x3.3 locknuts

Print Wikipost

Old 01-17-2018, 02:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Guess I better be subscribed to this thread. Just picked up 2 ZX6.6's for the boy and I. He'll probably be running 13.5 wheeler and me in mod, cause, you know, I'm a grown man who like to zing it down the straight and is too old to go fast anywhere else.....LOL!

These wheelers have a floating servo mount. What's the benefit of these? They look to be heavier than the regular servo mounts that come in the kit.

I'm sure I'll have lots more questions as time goes on.

We're running his buggy this weekend. Medium bite regular dirt indoor track. Super soft tires are the norm. 5K front and rear gear diffs and 300k in the center just because that's what it came with. We'll see how it goes.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oPAULo
Guess I better be subscribed to this thread. Just picked up 2 ZX6.6's for the boy and I. He'll probably be running 13.5 wheeler and me in mod, cause, you know, I'm a grown man who like to zing it down the straight and is too old to go fast anywhere else.....LOL!

These wheelers have a floating servo mount. What's the benefit of these? They look to be heavier than the regular servo mounts that come in the kit.

We're running his buggy this weekend. Medium bite regular dirt indoor track. Super soft tires are the norm. 5K front and rear gear diffs and 300k in the center just because that's what it came with. We'll see how it goes.
Please share your thoughts after this weekends race. Good luck
Old 01-18-2018, 05:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oPAULo

I believe the floating servo mount is supposed to make chassis flex more even on both sides of the car with its central mounting point.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:42 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by alex4r
I believe the floating servo mount is supposed to make chassis flex more even on both sides of the car with its central mounting point.
Ahhh I hadn't considered that. Makes sense now. THANKS!
Old 01-18-2018, 02:39 PM
Tech Addict

What the heck 4wd crowd?? Rear foams come with 4wd fronts? Now I'm a foam sculptor? Guess I have a lot to learn by tomorrow night....

Old 01-18-2018, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Not sure, I use AKA tires. If I were a betting man, these have been sitting around for awhile since most tires come with closed cell inserts these days.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:54 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Kraig
Not sure, I use AKA tires. If I were a betting man, these have been sitting around for awhile since most tires come with closed cell inserts these days.
I would agree concerning clay compounds but we run super soft at our home track. Thwy still come with open cell. It's really a different surface. Never seen anything like it anywhere else. Super soft for traction but everyone runs laydown to make the car rotate in the 180's. I do normally run closed cell though as does everyone else. Working on my sculpting skills!!
Old 01-18-2018, 03:16 PM
Tech Adept

if you dont want to buy closed inserts just put the rear open cells in full size. Dont cut them down to fit. The feel of the full size foams is pretty close to a broke in set of closed cells. the only real problem is that the open cells wont last the life of the tread on the tire.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

So I am running my zx6.6 in 13.5 class and looking to shave a little weight I have seen a few posts about using out drives off of the tf7 . Also I used to run a xb4 with that I pit all composite gears in the gear diffs is there an option like that for kyosho? Also my motor is right at the verge of over heating what are you guys running for pinion spur with the 13.5 thanks
Old 01-18-2018, 08:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Default velvet coated outdrives

is anyone here running the velvet coated outdrives on the gear diffs and the drive cups on the bevel gear shaft(rear of the front diff and front of the rear diff) ? the diff outdrives fit fine but the vvc drive cups don't seem to fit on the bevel gear shaft at all, the bevel shaft is way too small diameter for the cup to fit on. can anyone help me out with this? am I missing something?
Old 01-19-2018, 06:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_chris
is anyone here running the velvet coated outdrives on the gear diffs and the drive cups on the bevel gear shaft(rear of the front diff and front of the rear diff) ? the diff outdrives fit fine but the vvc drive cups don't seem to fit on the bevel gear shaft at all, the bevel shaft is way too small diameter for the cup to fit on. can anyone help me out with this? am I missing something?
Do you have a part number for those? I couldn't find any info on a VVC drive cup, but wondering if you mean these: KYOLA379?

I had no idea what they were for originally (have a 6, not 6.6), but they are just a sleeve that fits over the steel drive cup. Retains the cross pin instead of an o-ring, but more importantly, keeps the center drive shafts from falling out.

If that's what you are talking about, then those slip over the steel piece.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wisconsinbasher
So I am running my zx6.6 in 13.5 class and looking to shave a little weight I have seen a few posts about using out drives off of the tf7 . Also I used to run a xb4 with that I pit all composite gears in the gear diffs is there an option like that for kyosho? Also my motor is right at the verge of over heating what are you guys running for pinion spur with the 13.5 thanks
Been wondering about the plastic gears as well. I have some From the Tamiya sedans, just havent' had a chance to try it yet. If they work, I'll let you know.

From what I have seen, you need to shave the TF7 outdrives some as they'll hit the driveshafts at full bump.

And I ran 13.5 with a 76/27 on carpet the other night. No overheating with a WTF fan. About a 70ft straight or so, tighter technical.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default vvc

Originally Posted by dmcguire
Do you have a part number for those? I couldn't find any info on a VVC drive cup, but wondering if you mean these: KYOLA379?

I had no idea what they were for originally (have a 6, not 6.6), but they are just a sleeve that fits over the steel drive cup. Retains the cross pin instead of an o-ring, but more importantly, keeps the center drive shafts from falling out.

If that's what you are talking about, then those slip over the steel piece.
I believe he means these TFW124
Old 01-19-2018, 10:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dmcguire
Been wondering about the plastic gears as well. I have some From the Tamiya sedans, just havent' had a chance to try it yet. If they work, I'll let you know.

From what I have seen, you need to shave the TF7 outdrives some as they'll hit the driveshafts at full bump.

And I ran 13.5 with a 76/27 on carpet the other night. No overheating with a WTF fan. About a 70ft straight or so, tighter technical.
Thanks for the reply
Old 01-19-2018, 11:04 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by k_chris
Would it be possible for you to take a picture of the back of the drive cups? They may not be for the center drive at all, this is where they were originally referenced and what I based my previous post on.

I'm currently trying to get the plastic outdrives from the ZX5 (LA211B) to work on the pinion shafts. They are the same size as the stock steel ones, but they don't have holes for the set screws that secure the cup covers (LA379). It appears without the cup covers the center shafts would be likely to pop out, at least when using the center diff.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.