What RC Car Should I Get For Beginning.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What RC Car Should I Get For Beginning.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Post What RC Car Should I Get For Beginning.

Hi, I am just starting this sport and I am not sure what car I should get for me. I am looking for a On-Road electric Drift Car (Like seen on Nascar) and a Off-Road Nitro Buggy or truggy that i can use in Fort Knox. I want both cars to be durable and Fast. I am a beginner but I want a car(s) that is for intermediate (I know i can handle it I am good with Fixing). If anyone has any suggestions on what to buy and where i should buy it please let me know. Also my budget for everything (Gas and electric, Battery charger and nitro, etc) is $600. Any suggestions on what i need to start please let me know.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Sprint 2 is what I got 4 months ago. It is extremely durable. I am very impressed. Still running her right now outdoors. Still haven't broke anything. Racing it once a week in 2 classes.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I would not recommend the sprint two. It is a bashing type car. Yes it is cheap but i would go with an Associated tc4. It is priced well and will corner much better than a sprint two. Lots of common characteristics of a modern touring car.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have both the Sprint 2 and a TC4. The TC4 is better out of the box. The Sprint 2 requires a fair amount of work to make it competitive/durable. I have some friends running the Sakura Zero S. It is affordable and doesn't require a lot of hop-ups to get it going, mainly the vertical motor mount and better turnbuckles.

I can't help you on the off-road stuff.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:06 AM
Tech Rookie

I've got a sakura S Zero, and like it a lot. So far it seems pretty durable. Paired with a Speed Passion Citrix speedo, 17.5 motor, Gens Ace Battery, and FlySky controller.

If you look around a little bit, you may be able to find someone getting out of the hobby or upgrading gear and get a good deal on some stuff. Pretty much anything in the last 5 years or so is going to be pretty solid, but make sure you get a digital TX/RX combo, and a brushless motor combo.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

TA05/6
Old 06-05-2013, 06:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

For off road stuff it's best to go with what's at the track. I know there's a lot of Xray and losi at Fort Knox but I don't run off road. IMO Kyosho, Losi, associated and Durango are at the top of that class also Mugen and serpent make nice stuff.
Go to the track and ask around, see what's most popular and go that route. Brukner has everything for xray and I know he's the guy who runs the show at that track, but go with the most popular gear at the track and you'll be able to get a part you need if you break and even better than that you can ask for help with setup and that means more than anything. Definitely get a nice radio!! I can't stress that enough, it's better to spend the money in the beginning on a good radio and unless you want the newest radio every year it'll last you for a long time. I made the mistake of starting with a not bad radio but an older model and when I upgraded it was like I was a different driver
Old 06-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

See whats running at you're local track. You wanna have a car you can compete with at the local track. I love Tamiya M series. Cheap, easy to build and they're fun to drive. If your local track races them give one a try. I switched over to Tamiyas 2 years ago and I've never looked back. I'm fortunate we have a track to race them.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default the best advice for a beginner!

When I started I wasn't guided and just jump on the fastest car on the road, but for someone who wants to improve as a driver you would improve rapidly if you saved your money and purchase a top of rhe line 1/12th scale pan car because it will make you better driver for various reasons the car is two wheel drive which will force you to drive smoother because of th enable you to drive more under control and execute your turns with more precise steering it will give you better driving foundation !! The other reason is more forgiveable as for accidents rhat will occur for many beginners and its rhe cheapest entry into onroad racing..the average 12 scale is far less expensive than a touring cars and great easier to set up...
Old 06-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Abdou108
Hi, I am just starting this sport and I am not sure what car I should get for me. I am looking for a On-Road electric Drift Car (Like seen on Nascar) and a Off-Road Nitro Buggy or truggy that i can use in Fort Knox. I want both cars to be durable and Fast. I am a beginner but I want a car(s) that is for intermediate (I know i can handle it I am good with Fixing). If anyone has any suggestions on what to buy and where i should buy it please let me know. Also my budget for everything (Gas and electric, Battery charger and nitro, etc) is $600. Any suggestions on what i need to start please let me know.

If racing off road is your thing, take a look at the Durango RTR's http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...4GHz-Radio-Red

They are without a doubt the best out of the box newbie mobiles around, and they have ROAR approved motor and esc. Spend your other 1/2 of the budget on 2 high quality batteries and a charger.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My kids are wanting to start racing. I took them to my track and let them run my sedan around with the throttle turned down to 50%. They hit the walls a lot and got kinda frustrated.

I had to think about how I learned to drive...it wasn't at a track. It was in front of my house in the street with a Tamiya Subaru Brat (Frog Chassis). I ran it around cones in figure 8's, ovals, and made up on road tracks. That's how I figured out how to control a car coming at me and going away from me.

I suggest getting an RTR Short Course Truck and doing the same. It's tough, you can run it anywhere and you can race it later. After you figure out driving get a pan car or sedan if you want to race on road.

I got a used Associated SC10 from the classifieds here and my kids are having a blast with it now.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:43 AM
Tech Champion

If on road is really where you want to begin, I would suggest either of these cars.

Tamiya ta05/6
Spec R S1
Sakura Zero S

All very good value cars, I know myself that the ta05 in particular is bullet proof as I have owned one for years, nothing broken on it at all!

Although, if you are looking at a drift car then I would say a shaft driven car such as the team associated tc3 or tc4 would be something to look at.

Google is your friend for pictures and a build manual to see how they all piece together - hope that helps