Search

New Novak Brusless System

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 04:50 PM
Tech Regular

Default 5800 adjustable profile rate comparisons

Hello Charlie

Thanks for fixing my 5800 a few months ago.........I agree that the 5800
is about a "hot 19T".......can you confirm that the different profile settings -
1-6 change the output rating, spool up, or what - what are we really adjusting with the different profiles?

Thanks
bill
Old 06-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default relax guys....

it will come someday, as for now I'm just glad to see Novak release thier mod esc. This is a leap in mainstream US brushless and that's a good thing. As far as adjusting the power/rpm, I think Novak's doing it right. How would you ever moditor it for racing. Having a stock profile blue light like the SS esc helps. The big power cap? No problem, better performance. Don't we all want that anyway?
Old 06-03-2005, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by newracer
I am sure the technology is a little different since the Novak is sensored but Castle Creations accomplished this without increasing the size of the esc and all the data is transferred through the rx plug on the esc. Just FYI.

when you say novak is sensored, does it mean the others use a different technology? whats the advantage of novak being sensored?
Old 06-03-2005, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

The Castle Creations I posted about is a non-sensor system for aircraft. Sesnored systems, like Novak and LRP, are supposed to be better for cars, the sensor makes for better throttle control.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:04 PM
Tech Master

Sensored systems like the Novak detects exactly where the armature is inside to stop that annoying cogging like sensorless systems.

Sean
Old 06-03-2005, 10:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Sensorless have more complex software for running the motor, sensored based systems are the easy way out as you don't need as good a software to run the motor. Sensor based systems should therefore be cheaper then a sensorless system. My U-Force 75 is sensorless and has no cogging with my Plettenberg motor!! The more poles a motor has, the easier it is for a sensorless system to run them. The Novak motors are only 2 pole, wheras my Plettenberg is 4 pole. For some reason the U-Force hates the Novak motor. I haven't run any other 2 pole motors to compare, but I've heard the winding used is a big problem too. The ROAR and IFMAR rules allow sensorless esc's, but the motor specs will mean a sensorless esc is unlikely to run properly.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

are all brushless motors and/or their ESC's made equal? unlike brushed motors that can be "tweaked" for additional performance?

what is the limiting factor in making a faster Brushless motor? the reason i'm asking is becuase with these new high capacity batteries, and improvements in brushed motor technology, its now a common sight to run 6, 7 turn motors, whereas two years back when 8's and 9' turn motors where the common motor of choice, brushless technology was at around 12turn... i'm just curiuos as to when could brushless technology be at par with regards speed and power of brushed motors...

i think brusless motors have great advantages over their brushed counterparts; however, in my opinion, no matter the advantages, speed is still my number 1 concern and priority... that's why unless brusless motors can really compete with their brushed counterparts, im still reluctant to get 1... BUT... im really dying to try 1 out, i wish there was a demo unit we could try out...
Old 06-04-2005, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i think brusless motors have great advantages over their brushed counterparts; however, in my opinion, no matter the advantages, speed is still my number 1 concern and priority... that's why unless brusless motors can really compete with their brushed counterparts, im still reluctant to get 1... BUT... im really dying to try 1 out, i wish there was a demo unit we could try out...
There are brushless motors that can keep up with 7 turn motors, but with the politics of the system they are no longer legal.

For some reason the U-Force hates the Novak motor. I haven't run any other 2 pole motors to compare, but I've heard the winding used is a big problem too. The ROAR and IFMAR rules allow sensorless esc's, but the motor specs will mean a sensorless esc is unlikely to run properly.
The U-force works fine with lehner, hacker, and feigao 2-pole motrs. The difference with the novak is is is wye wound and two pole. My aveox is wye wound also, but it is 4-pole and it works great on the u-force. I think it comes down to geometry of the novak motor. It is wye wound so you have to excite 2/3 of the motor at a time and it has a tiny diameter rotor compared to most sensorless motors. The combination of the two may make it difficult for the controller to determine the position of the rotor. Also with the huge amount of iron used in the novaks, the amount of magnetic flux caused by exciting 2/3 of the motor probably out weighs the induced field created by the rotor passing by the unused coil. Just a guess.

Last edited by kufman; 06-04-2005 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by highwayman

Good to see you have taken some interest in Brushless Systems highwayman. I'm also glad to see so many "newcomers" take notice of Brushless Technology... even Nitro guys are starting to realize it's many benefits and potential! Just wait until they combine Li-Po batts with Brushless Technology. Speeds and Run Time will be absolutely unreal!

Hey TRINITY..... Pay Back is such a Wonderful Thing!
Old 06-04-2005, 03:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

got this from another thread. Size looks OK.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:17 PM
Tech Elite

looks like the same size as the older version...

... on another note, i have those novak platinum batteries and they are very very good...

stealth : yeah, when that time comes, who knows, maybe EP cars can compete with nitro cars...
Old 06-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default That's sweet...

can't wait! Looks like there is a new poll type connection for the motor. Much easier to mount the wires to the motor.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by newracer
I am sure the technology is a little different since the Novak is sensored but Castle Creations accomplished this without increasing the size of the esc and all the data is transferred through the rx plug on the esc. Just FYI.

esc

programmer via usb
Brushless should able to do lots more than just different power-output and different profile. As ESC need to know where the rotator is and what RPM it rolling, it's possible to do traction control, launch control and ABS inside ESC. Even, by analysing RPM/throttle/steering change, ESC will know general picture of track layout, and give you optimize output in different section of track.

Now that's what I wanna see...
Old 06-06-2005, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Danjoy25 - Great Pic! On my computer I rotated it and zoomed in on the ESC (sorry, couldn't save it soomed in) and it clearly shows it has a HUGE Black Capacitor right under the top-deck. Any space saved by the GTB ESC being close to the size of a GTX is now lost because of this.

One positive thing is it does come with it's own fan which at least looks like it is specifically made for the GTB. For all my SS5800s I had to buy Reedy's replacement Heatsink Motor Fan to keep my temps in check for Off-Road use. Strategic placement is definitely key! Hope Novak starts to sell these fans separetley as well cause they do breakdown every now and then (especially when racing in the Dirt).

Novak is on the ball... they do have the fans available separately! Bravo!
Attached Thumbnails New Novak Brusless System-new-novak-brushless.jpe  

Last edited by STEALTH; 06-06-2005 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Tower hobbies have them listed for $239.00. Price looks good to me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.