Wiki Posts
Search

New Novak Brusless System

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 03:03 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pheyhoe
Ok, just like to clear this up. It is the motor that overheats isnt it?
Not necessarily. The GTB can shut down for either a motor overheat or a speedo overheat. There is a sequence of lights that flash on the speedy that tell you what caused the overheat. Sorry I can't remember off the top of my head which sequence/lights means which...sorry.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:52 AM
Tech Master

And a shame i cant see the lights from the drivers stand! lol.

Thanks anyway.

I just found that i was geared at 10.18. which is pretty low
going to try 11.5 or something once i find out what the biggest spur that will fit on my BD is.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pheyhoe
And a shame i cant see the lights from the drivers stand! lol.

Thanks anyway.

I just found that i was geared at 10.18. which is pretty low
going to try 11.5 or something once i find out what the biggest spur that will fit on my BD is.

116 tooth @ 64pitch is the biggest you put on the BD.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Problems w/ my gtb.
-
I think it needs to go to service, but maybe I am missing something.
-
The motor will not run when I pull the trigger, I can spin the rotor and the motor will run, but once i let off and try to press the gas again, nothing!
-
I have replaced the motor between 3.5 and 4.5, i have switched between the sinitered and regular rotors, I replaced the capacitor and I even tried a new reciever. I had to switch back to brushed motor/esc to run my races today.
-
Nothing happened to cause the issue, I just went to run in my first race and it would not work, fresh pack, tried both 4200 and 3800 batteries, w/ and w/o servo hooked up. I had previously ran 3 or 4 times in practice during the morning w/ no issues.
-
If anyone has had this problem b4, please let me know.
-
Otherwise it looks like i have to ship it back
thanks
-
I also tried to reset the speedcontrol, but that did nothing to help the problem
Old 11-19-2006, 08:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dbmartin
Problems w/ my gtb.
-
I think it needs to go to service, but maybe I am missing something.
-
The motor will not run when I pull the trigger, I can spin the rotor and the motor will run, but once i let off and try to press the gas again, nothing!
-
I have replaced the motor between 3.5 and 4.5, i have switched between the sinitered and regular rotors, I replaced the capacitor and I even tried a new reciever. I had to switch back to brushed motor/esc to run my races today.
-
Nothing happened to cause the issue, I just went to run in my first race and it would not work, fresh pack, tried both 4200 and 3800 batteries, w/ and w/o servo hooked up. I had previously ran 3 or 4 times in practice during the morning w/ no issues.
-
If anyone has had this problem b4, please let me know.
-
Otherwise it looks like i have to ship it back
thanks
-
I also tried to reset the speedcontrol, but that did nothing to help the problem

db, it seems that your gtb has problems with the fets..... it happened to my first one.... just send it to Novak. in any case, send an email to charlie telling your problem, he will tell you better what to do...

cheers,
Old 11-19-2006, 06:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi guys, Tried the new 13.5 today in a race and just didn't like the performance. I usually run in the top 3 in stock A main but this thing was getting me farther and farther behind and put me in the B main I was also having issues with cogging or thermaling.

I tried the same gear ratio I was running with a Quantum2/CO27 combo and also tried going up and down 2 or 3 teeth. But nothing seemed to help.

To me this is definately slower than stock motors! Maybe I should sell it.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:27 AM
Tech Adept

I know this is lazy and i could probably look through the thread but i need a gearing start point for a 4.5R in a BD running rubber on carpet on a BIG track, talking two basketball court size but with some twisty bits. Should i go with the 10-10.5 suggested? ran 10.25 in practise as a shake down at smaller club and seemed ok. have seen setup sheets with 8.5fdr though spose i could just wait and see if pushing the limit is a good idea!
Old 11-20-2006, 07:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Deves
Hi guys, Tried the new 13.5 today in a race and just didn't like the performance. I usually run in the top 3 in stock A main but this thing was getting me farther and farther behind and put me in the B main I was also having issues with cogging or thermaling.

I tried the same gear ratio I was running with a Quantum2/CO27 combo and also tried going up and down 2 or 3 teeth. But nothing seemed to help.

Deves, read the Novak Brushless Stock thread and you will see that this motor has a ton of torque and you need to gear it accordingly. Go up 10 teeth from brushed gearing. That's a good place to start. You simply haven't asked this motor to work yet.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racingbod85
I know this is lazy and i could probably look through the thread but i need a gearing start point for a 4.5R in a BD running rubber on carpet on a BIG track, talking two basketball court size but with some twisty bits. Should i go with the 10-10.5 suggested? ran 10.25 in practise as a shake down at smaller club and seemed ok. have seen setup sheets with 8.5fdr though spose i could just wait and see if pushing the limit is a good idea!
9.75 fdr is a good ratio for the 4.5. I usually run around a 10.0 depending on the track surface temp. If is really hot out Il run a 10.65 FDR and never had any thermal issues
Old 11-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Thanks for the info! I did not see you race but I know that you usually is placed higher.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

It is definitely NOT slower than a brushed stock, liten to what James is saying....

I usually run a 40-45mm rollout with a Monster Stock in my 12th scale, I'm running 55mm rollout with the 13.5... I could definitely go up a few more teeth....
Old 11-20-2006, 01:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
9.75 fdr is a good ratio for the 4.5. I usually run around a 10.0 depending on the track surface temp. If is really hot out Il run a 10.65 FDR and never had any thermal issues
I imagined you could push past the recommended wussy fdr's. believe me when i say i'll be wearing 6 layers of clothing and keeping my batteries in my pockets it'll be that cold where i'm going! might try 10 in practise and work down! thanks
Old 11-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Racingbod85
I imagined you could push past the recommended wussy fdr's. believe me when i say i'll be wearing 6 layers of clothing and keeping my batteries in my pockets it'll be that cold where i'm going! might try 10 in practise and work down! thanks
i have I ran a 9.93 FDR with the 3.5 and it came off the track at 103 degrees
Old 11-20-2006, 01:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ok ill give it another try....
Question: when people say "Go up a few teeth" are they refering to the FDR by lowering the amount of teeth on the pinion gear?

I always used a gear chart to determine where I should be with my gearing and the term go up a gear escapes me now.

If I add a bigger pinion then my FDR will lower
If I go to a smaller pinion then it will raise correct?

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Ok ill give it another try....
Question: when people say "Go up a few teeth" are they refering to the FDR by lowering the amount of teeth on the pinion gear?

I always used a gear chart to determine where I should be with my gearing and the term go up a gear escapes me now.

If I add a bigger pinion then my FDR will lower
If I go to a smaller pinion then it will raise correct?

Thanks for your help guys.
yes correct the larger the lower and the lower the larger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.