Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum
Feeler for Southeast CT >

Feeler for Southeast CT

Feeler for Southeast CT

Old 09-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by diablo243
I have explored this business plan over the years and it seems for what ever reason nothing ever grows legs here. I grew up in Waterford and have lived all over and keep ending up back here, so I have looked at this several times since the 80s. With the Navy base in the area one would think you would find a good lot of interested candidates that would keep a facility going year round, but despite that market and the local non-military nothing ever has staying power and that even includes, casual parking lot meet ups or races. Rumor has it there will be an outdoor dirt track next year in the Mystic area, the guy that built the paint ball place out there in the woods has a pretty good chunk of left over land, all the equipment needed to build a track and is gonna have a go at it. He has been asking around Lee's Toy and Hobby and I know they have offered support and even sponsorship for a track in this area. So after that dissertation the long and short is if you are going to really have at it, get in contact with me and I would be very interested in working with you to bring this to fruition. Also give the guys over at Lee's a call, love or hate them they have been around a LONG time and do have a good idea of whats come and gone and what the pulse might be for local desire or need. Good luck!
From what I have heard from Lee's, the town of Groton is VERY stingy about giving out land for RC etc.. Not sure about the areas outside of Groton, but it seems like going private is the most realistic way to do it.
When I was a kid like around 25 years ago, my father worked with the town of East Lyme and got some land to make a non-profit track. all proceeds were used to maintain it, build a drivers stand, and lap counting software etc..
It was a huge hit, we often had 40+ racers a weekend for years... Eventually I lost interest for a bit, so did he, and it eventually shut down, but there is/was a market for it. I dont see now being any different....
I think the big issue is making enough $$$ to maintain it.. I thiunk that the shops that run tracks make the most $$ off of parts breaking etc, and emergency repairs, not so much the actual racing fees.... I could be wrong. If Lee's were to help, perhaps they would be interested in setting up a parts-for-sale area at the track.. Its an idea.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Anyone call Fields of Fire to ask if they are considering doing an off-road course?

Any updates on the Groton/Mystic area (or region) of the state in regards to RC tracks?
Old 10-05-2013, 12:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beaker1024
Anyone call Fields of Fire to ask if they are considering doing an off-road course?

Any updates on the Groton/Mystic area (or region) of the state in regards to RC tracks?
Supposedly they are.. From what I heard they are getting their paintball business established and and thinking about rc eventually. I haven't spoken to them directly, but that is what I have heard 2nd hand. Hopefully they pursue it...
Old 10-05-2013, 03:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Awesome, thanks for the info and offering when the time comes. Been to that paintball place, had some fun. Still researching when i can, and looking at places online since im still in washington. Kinda looking for a buisness like area so that we can have some nitro as well as electric. Where i am its electric only because of the location of the track (smack dab in residential).
I know what you mean by things not staying in and around the greater Groton area, was there from 2003-12, saw many things come and go. And that go-cart place that you can see when getting off of 95 south into waterford (exit 89 i believe.. cant remember now) ive always wondered why something fun hasnt gone in there. hard to make everybody happy