Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
hardcore nitro guy going electric >

hardcore nitro guy going electric

hardcore nitro guy going electric

Old 05-18-2005, 04:51 AM
Tech Adept

Default hardcore nitro guy going electric

Hi all,

I am a huge fan of nitro racing. I did electric back in the 80's and again for a short time when I re-entered the hobby about 5 years ago. Other than that I'm a nitro guy all the way. Well, there's a great indoor track within driving distance from me and I will absolutely be racing there when the cold weather comes. I know, I have a ways to go but I'm starting the research now and I want my stuff by the time fall comes so I can start dialing things in.

Here's my list so far:

Losi bk2
brushless system - Novak 5800 motor and SS+ esc
Competition Electronics Turbo 35 GFX

my question today is about the charger. Does anyone have one? Is it worth the money? Can I make my own matched packs with it or would you suggest buying already matched packs?

I want a really good charger and this seems like one... I would appreciate any input on this.

Also, what power supply should I get for use with this charger?

Thanks
Old 05-18-2005, 12:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i have the the turbo 35 bl - the gfx is even better.

anway, competition electronics makes arguably the best charger. go to any big race, and you'll see alot of their stuff. you can't go wrong with the gfx.

for a power supply, i use a rivergate bulldog 30 amp which is more than enough power. alinco is another good power supply, but i can't really comment on this thing.

go surf the electric on-onroad forum (i know you're looking @ an offroad buggy) you'll find a lot of good info and opinions.

dont forget.....use the search function
Old 05-18-2005, 12:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default gfx

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...threadid=72239

found this in the for sale forum.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:39 PM
Suspended

i would ge the lrp brushless system b/c you cna run both brushed and brushless motors on it. so if you want to race stock then you will be able too. plus the lrp is faster
Old 05-18-2005, 01:56 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

If I was going to do anything with brushless at this time, I would want to make sure that I have the option of running brushed motors as well.

The question I ask myself when I get something is how much of whatever do I need. You will see alot of guys at big races running these really high end chargers no doubt and they do have a lot of nice features, but for me, I rather have something that will do the charge correctly and if possible save me some money compared to the higher end at the same time.

The Bk2 is a great buggy, so is the FTB4. Can't go wrong with either, really comes down to how your driving style is. Maybe get a chance and wheel each to see what you think?
Old 05-18-2005, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

The Turbo 35 GFX is well worth the investment,also Competition Electronics has great coustomer service!As far as the brushless Novak offers a speed control that works for both brushed and brushless motors.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:20 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the replies everyone!

The Novak ESC I'm looking at handles both brushed and brushless motors.

I really am leaning toward the Turbo 35 GFX - I like high end stuff and this thing seems like the ticket.

As far as the bk2: I've owned lots of AE stuff and I loved them all. I run Losi now for many reasons, but a big one is that I hate AE shocks. Both cars are great I'm sure and a mediocre driver like me should do equally well (or equally bad LOL) with either one.

Now, can I match cells with the Turbo 35 GFX?
Old 05-19-2005, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Do you want to be competitive? If so I would not suggest the Novak brushless system, unless it is a really tight track. It simply isnt fast enough, unless your a really good driver, I can get away with running one here, but there isn't really any very good drivers around, lol. I would definately wait for the LRP/Reedy brushless system, but I would never go with brushed motors again. You will for sure want to buy pre-matched battery packs, since if you want to make your own you will have to buy hundreds of cells to draw from to make some decent packs. Appearently the Turbo GFX is an awsome charger, but do you really need it? If you've got the money I guess you might as well...but there are lots of other good chargers out there that cost alot less.

My two cents
Old 05-21-2005, 07:13 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the advice on the matched packs. As far as the brushless system, I drove an MF2 with the Novak 5800 brushless system last night and it's plenty fast enough... I was driving it on the indoor track I'll be racing on. In fact, a lot of the fast guys there run the brushless set up.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:51 AM
Tech Adept

novak just released a new version of the super sport brushless system that allows you to use the brushed motors.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by x-GTer
Thanks for the advice on the matched packs. As far as the brushless system, I drove an MF2 with the Novak 5800 brushless system last night and it's plenty fast enough... I was driving it on the indoor track I'll be racing on. In fact, a lot of the fast guys there run the brushless set up.
What are the race rules at your track? Could you use a different BL system if you wanted? because there are way better combos out there then the SS5800
Old 05-21-2005, 11:08 AM
Tech Adept

I'm pretty sure you can 'run what ya brung' in the mod class. The Novak 5800 seems to be the hot setup though... the track isn't very big.

What other BL systems should I be looking at?

Thanks
Old 05-21-2005, 02:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

that would be sweeet! lol i was in electric , now, going to nitro i didnt like electric, I WANT NITRO!
Old 05-21-2005, 06:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by x-GTer
I'm pretty sure you can 'run what ya brung' in the mod class. The Novak 5800 seems to be the hot setup though... the track isn't very big.

What other BL systems should I be looking at?

Thanks
Take a look at www.starluckrc.com or www.rc-monster.com

A good, cheap system would have to be the Lehner 5300 motor and the MGM 80A esc.You can go even cheaper then that if you got the Lehner 4200 which would bring the price down to around $210.

Even the Lehner 4200/MGM 80a is faster then the SS5800
Old 05-22-2005, 08:20 PM
Tech Rookie

i run the novak ss5800 in my xxx-t and its way fast. the mgm 80 and lehner 5300 is a lot faster tho. Novak rates their motors different so the 5800 is really around 4400 without load, the lehner is at a hair over 5300 without a load. the lehner also has a wider torque band which means its not gonna lose as much power underload as the novak will. but if you have driven it and like the speed of it(I sure do) then go for it because its an awesome setup

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.