Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Why the hatred toward 1:8 scale at 1:10 scale tracks??!! >

Why the hatred toward 1:8 scale at 1:10 scale tracks??!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Why the hatred toward 1:8 scale at 1:10 scale tracks??!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 11:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sickboy
I think electric 1/8 and 4x4 sc drivers should leave their credit card on file with the hobby shop to pay for all the parts they rip off the 1/10 buggys when they smash through them. also, 1/8 buggy should be limited to 2 cell batteries.
Well as I have hit a buggy or two in practice I really think this idea is coming from a ebuggy hater. If the buggy driver does not call out his wreck at the end of the long straight and then get plowed, that's on him. 2wd sc can break a 1/10th buggy just as well as a ebuggy. It all boils down to driver etiquette.
And one of the other tracks in the area do limit ebuggies to 2s.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by sickboy
I think electric 1/8 and 4x4 sc drivers should leave their credit card on file with the hobby shop to pay for all the parts they rip off the 1/10 buggys when they smash through them. also, 1/8 buggy should be limited to 2 cell batteries.

If anything its doing business for the hobby shop, with the 10th buggy guys buying parts at the shop.

A smart driver should get out of the way of faster drivers on practice days IMO, if its not a controlled practice.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:02 AM
Tech Addict

To the OP: what are your personal goals in running 1/8 ebuggy on a track specifically designed for 1/10?
Old 05-02-2013, 05:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gelshocker
To the OP: what are your personal goals in running 1/8 ebuggy on a track specifically designed for 1/10?
That's the only option in our area. There are a couple outdoor tracks... but your driving another 20 min on top of the 45 to 90 min (this is LA county) to get to the indoor tracks

There used to be a hand full of outdoor tracks around here but they closed a few years ago.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:31 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by fq06
That's the only option in our area. There are a couple outdoor tracks... but your driving another 20 min on top of the 45 to 90 min (this is LA county) to get to the indoor tracks

There used to be a hand full of outdoor tracks around here but they closed a few years ago.
Then personally I would run 1/10.

Laps times with a 1/8 is meaningless. Wrenching a 1/8 for robustness is meaningless. What am I trying to improve, learn, by being a major league playing in little league?

The point of running a RC race car, on a specially designed race track for that scale, is to improve oneself as a racer. And we should respect our fellow man who is spending his money and leisure (that is hard to come by if you're a family guy, working to make ends meet, living far away) who wants to race his car on the track designed for it.

I see no end product in running a 1/8 on 1/10 track. It is for bashing? It is because 1/10 is too fragile for them? Well the point in racing is getting to the finishing line in one piece. I hear so many say 1/8 is more durable blah blah. Of course it is you're running on the baby track, babying your car.

If you're not running the car to scale with the track, what are you doing on the race track? What is your ultimate goal?

/rant
Old 05-02-2013, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

In my region you have no choice but to run on smaller indoor tracks for 6-8 months out of the year. What would you consider "too small for 1/8" less than 100'x150'?
Old 05-02-2013, 07:49 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by nv529
In my region you have no choice but to run on smaller indoor tracks for 6-8 months out of the year. What would you consider "too small for 1/8" less than 100'x150'?
If the club house allows it, everyone concurs, and a race is held for 1/8, so be it. But my opinion is meaningless, who cares?

Because maybe we should each ask ourselves are we spending our time and money productively, in meeting our intended goal, as a RC racer. It's a race track we're at right? Or is it a park? Is it a test ground to break in my diff? At the expense of others?

I am here to race. Not here to chalk up homerun numbers.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gelshocker
Then personally I would run 1/10.

Laps times with a 1/8 is meaningless. Wrenching a 1/8 for robustness is meaningless. What am I trying to improve, learn, by being a major league playing in little league?

The point of running a RC race car, on a specially designed race track for that scale, is to improve oneself as a racer. And we should respect our fellow man who is spending his money and leisure (that is hard to come by if you're a family guy, working to make ends meet, living far away) who wants to race his car on the track designed for it.

I see no end product in running a 1/8 on 1/10 track. It is for bashing? It is because 1/10 is too fragile for them? Well the point in racing is getting to the finishing line in one piece. I hear so many say 1/8 is more durable blah blah. Of course it is you're running on the baby track, babying your car.

If you're not running the car to scale with the track, what are you doing on the race track? What is your ultimate goal?

/rant
Your over thinking it...

Maybe Dozer just wants to get out and drive on a track.
Maybe Dozer does not have a 1/10 to drive and is not looking to put $500 into a race kit.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Depends on your attitude. I race a track that is based on 1/10 mainly but the lanes are wide enough for 1/8 and have a 1/8 scale class. On practice days I have seen a few 1/8 guys get kicked off the track because of their poor attitude. You cannot be out there with the mentality of " if they wreck in front of me and don't call it out then I run into them, its their fault. " If you do then your an ass and will get kicked out for good. I like what gelshocker said, if your on a 1/10 track get a 1/10! The cool 1/8 guys at my track wont practice when 1/10 are out there running around cause guess what? They know the 1/8 would smash a 1/10 and acknowledge that. Imagine that, there are considerate 1/8 divers out there! I drive 1/10 and 1/8, and only practice when the other 1/8s are out there out of respect to the smaller classes.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:58 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by fq06
Your over thinking it...

Maybe Dozer just wants to get out and drive on a track.
Maybe Dozer does not have a 1/10 to drive and is not looking to put $500 into a race kit.
I respect my fellow man for his reasons, and of course, constraints.

And I also respect my fellow man who wishes to race, in a car, that the track is designed for.

Me personally, I respect the track. It is designed for 1/10. To get the best out of the track and MY OWN racing experience, I will buy that 1/10 and hope I can improve as a rc racer. Running 1/8 on a 1/10 gives me nothing towards my racing experience.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:11 AM
Tech Rookie

My friend ( total noob to RC ) just bought a 1/8 ecx revenge and did not understand the main difference between 1/10 and 1/8 because when you put the two side by side the size is damn near the same. Then I got all tech-y and explained the weight, power and voltage difference. After that he made the decision himself, "oh wow I could drive right through your 1/10 axial EXO! I better be careful." I was so proud of him. Being self aware can get you very far in life.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Tech Adept

Try having a 1/5 scale, with 2 HUGE tracks available, and still not able to race it without driving 2 hours. Those cater to 1/8 and 1/10 and most of them drive both, so they are pretty good about watching out for each other. I dont like running my short course when 1/8 is on the track. Makes me feel like Im getting in their way, and keeping them from having a good time too
Old 05-02-2013, 08:47 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Lolcanoe
Try having a 1/5 scale, with 2 HUGE tracks available, and still not able to race it without driving 2 hours. Those cater to 1/8 and 1/10 and most of them drive both, so they are pretty good about watching out for each other. I dont like running my short course when 1/8 is on the track. Makes me feel like Im getting in their way, and keeping them from having a good time too
I concur. My track caters for both 1/8 and 1/10. I let the 1/8 pass not dissimilar to letting the faster car pass.

The man that runs right through you like squashing a gnat, or deliberately targets your 1/10 by smashing you in the air, will have their reputation stamped on their forehead faster than their fastest lap time. They will come up with all sort of excuses which only ascertains them for what they are: excuses.

And in an economic environment where tracks are hard to come by and even more so personal income and time, their short moment of selfish gratification will come at their long term expense. Attrition will overtake them eventually.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iThinman
1/2 of who didn't Marshall? The 1/8th scalers? Hmmm, maybe that's part of the problem.

fwiw, I raced a ton of 1/8 scale at NorCal last year and we very rarely had Marshall issues, but I could understand how on some random 'pre-season' race day with lower then mid-summer turnout, it could be an issue.
Let's be clear... The 1/2 that didn't marshal were e guys that didnt feel it was fair to marshal a nitro main. That's disrespectful at best and the kinda thing that not only causes tension amongst the racers but eventually leads to the overall demise of the facility. NorCal hobbies is an excellent facility that always produces an awesome layout, yet there a simple thank you from most racers does not happen. Too many concerned about what's "fair" and me me me me. I race both and always try to be careful of the 1/10 cars on the track nevertheless accidents do happen...
Old 05-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rsickles

8lbs @ 25 mph = 44.1 lbf
4lbs @ 45 mph = 39.7 lbf

Pretty close to me...
id much rather take a fragile foam bumpered car, to the sole of my shoe, that will most likely disintegrate on impact than a reinforced missile to the head, core, or legs that is designed to continually withstand 30+ feet of air and actual measurable horsepower.

but thats just from my experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.