Wiki Posts
Search

What Radio Should I get new to touring cars

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 07:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default What Radio Should I get new to touring cars

Hey guys recently got into rc touring cars and I have an xray t3 I'm in despite need of a new radio (My hobby king failed me ). I want to get a decent radio which is going to last. I was looking at the 4pl and the MT-4 because they seem like the ones to get, but is that overkill for a touring car as I will only every use 2 channels. I think the telemetry would be nice so I'm leaning towards a MT-4. Or for touring cars should I just get a MX-V since I only need two channels and I won't use half the amount of functions?

What are your thoughts, can anyone give me some pointers?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I personally use the Futaba 4pl and really like it. I hardly use half of the features but the things to consider are speed and feel. If it doesn't feel good and connected, you won't like it as much. The cheaper units don't offer the speed and feel in my experience. Glitching is another thing to consider. Some are more prone to it in certain situations. I have not had that issue with my Futaba. YMMV
Old 04-29-2013, 09:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've tried several spectrum and futaba 2.4 radios and have not yet had my futaba's glitch in the last 6yrs (had 3 of them now). The spectrums have all glitched on me at some point (4 of them).

As far as features go I think you will be surprised how many you start using as you try different things or get outside of touring cars.

I'm big on how it feels in my hand. I have heard lots of folks like the 4pl, personally I did not like the weight during the one race I used it. I'm a big fan of the 4PK series though.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Tech Champion

The Futaba 4PL is awesome. High quality, solid signal and relatively inexpensive. Additional receivers are inexpensive too. I have had MUCH more expensive radios and the 4PL does everything they did.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

If you're going to spend that kind of money for a Futaba, go and get the KO Propo K.I.Y. I have one and love it!
Old 04-29-2013, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

The airtronics/sanwa M12 cannot be beat right now. I'm very happy that I forked over the cash for one.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:16 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

I have a hobby king, and I been using the heck out of it and not had a prob, what went wrong with yours??
Old 04-29-2013, 10:22 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by spunkysandoval
The airtronics/sanwa M12 cannot be beat right now. I'm very happy that I forked over the cash for one.

What does it do (that you actually use) that the Futaba 4PL does not do?
Old 04-29-2013, 11:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
What does it do (that you actually use) that the Futaba 4PL does not do?
The M12 has the quickest latency of any radio, so it does everything quicker. You feel more connected. 4pl is very good radio, but it's not as quick as an M12. Nothing is. Yes, virtually all of them have the same features that almost no one uses. None of them feel the same though, physically or functionally.

I have an M12 and an MT4. I recommend the MT-4 to everyone but lefties and people with extremely fat sausage fingers. Awesome radio. Some races I feel like using my MT-4 instead of my M12, just because it's so much lighter.

You can't go wrong with either choice (Futaba 4PL or Airtronics MT-4). Both are very good. Get the one that you like the feel of most.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Yup! M12 is also very adjustable in the ergonomic department where as the futaba is not. M12 is the baddest radio around right now.

Latencey (response time) is less than 1ms. Yes, the difference is noticeable
Old 04-29-2013, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Pulpetti
the MT4 is a great radio, more than enough features for almost anyone, Iv'e had many brands pass through my hands (working in a shop) and Airtronics has always performed well and been reliable for me. For additional receivers use the 92524 it's less than $50, small and works great.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pulpetti
Hey guys recently got into rc touring cars and I have an xray t3 I'm in despite need of a new radio (My hobby king failed me ). I want to get a decent radio which is going to last. I was looking at the 4pl and the MT-4 because they seem like the ones to get, but is that overkill for a touring car as I will only every use 2 channels. I think the telemetry would be nice so I'm leaning towards a MT-4. Or for touring cars should I just get a MX-V since I only need two channels and I won't use half the amount of functions?

What are your thoughts, can anyone give me some pointers?

Thanks in advance.
Best bet is to try and hold the options and see what feels good to you. As pretty much every brand name radio today has all the bells and gadgets along with the reliability you need for RC (TC or otherwise), ergonomics and comfort are the true difference. The M12 is nice, and at $550 I would expect it to be. I have been told that the response time (or near lack of it) is noticable. Maybe so, but it is also unnecessary for the majority of drivers who will not be able tp appreciate it (myself included). I started with a Ko Propo Helios initially but changed to a 4PK (bought used here) which just feels "right" to me. Weight, balance, handle and trigger feel, etc. This is your connection to the car, and if it is not comfortable, none of the expo dual rate wiz bangs matter.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Tech Champion

Yup! M12 is also very adjustable in the ergonomic department where as the futaba is not. M12 is the baddest radio around right now.

Latencey (response time) is less than 1ms. Yes, the difference is noticeable
I fly helicopters so I know all about latency. First Futaba does not publish latency numbers. This is because they messed up when getting into the DSS game.

FAAST uses an expensive radio IC chip and Futaba built their early Air and Surface DSS systems around it. Soon after that they started getting killed in pricing by Chinese radios and Spektrum. They both use a less expensive Radio IC to generate and manage their DSS signals. Both are reliable and FCC compliant with DHSS guidelines.

Note that Futaba FHSS is just as fast as FAAST. It just uses a different protocol since the Radio IC is sourced from a less expensive manufacturer to cut costs. They don't publish latency figures because they don't want people knowing there is no difference.

Radios with modules that generate a PCM/PPM FM signal then convert it to DSS in a module are slow. These are the high latency radios.

The latency in all analog/serial to spread spectrum radios (radios with no module or direct analog to DSS modules) are less than 10ms.

10ms is on the ragged edge of perception by humans. If the M12 is 1ms (peak) and the 4PL is 10ms (peak) no one can tell a difference. Based on tests of Futaba FHSS air radios on the runryder and helifreak forums I think the 4PL is faster than 10ms.

If you can I think feel it I think it has more to do with making yourself feel better about spending $500 on a radio that works as well as a $190 radio.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AdrianM
I fly helicopters so I know all about latency. First Futaba does not publish latency numbers. This is because they messed up when getting into the DSS game.

FAAST uses an expensive radio IC chip and Futaba built their early Air and Surface DSS systems around it. Soon after that they started getting killed in pricing by Chinese radios and Spektrum. They both use a less expensive Radio IC to generate and manage their DSS signals. Both are reliable and FCC compliant with DHSS guidelines.

Note that Futaba FHSS is just as fast as FAAST. It just uses a different protocol since the Radio IC is sourced from a less expensive manufacturer to cut costs. They don't publish latency figures because they don't want people knowing there is no difference.

Radios with modules that generate a PCM/PPM FM signal then convert it to DSS in a module are slow. These are the high latency radios.

The latency in all analog/serial to spread spectrum radios (radios with no module or direct analog to DSS modules) are less than 10ms.

10ms is on the ragged edge of perception by humans. If the M12 is 1ms (peak) and the 4PL is 10ms (peak) no one can tell a difference. Based on tests of Futaba FHSS air radios on the runryder and helifreak forums I think the 4PL is faster than 10ms.

If you can I think feel it I think it has more to do with making yourself feel better about spending $500 on a radio that works as well as a $190 radio.
Adrian,

Step down off the high horse for a few and relax for me will you?

I'm not trying to put futaba down any means. When I decided to upgrade from my spektrum DX3r Pro it was because I was able to tell the difference in controling my car when I used a friends MT4 which has a faster response time than the DX3R pro (5.5ms as claimed by Spektrum). This was in offroad racing where vehicle control involves alot of control input from the driver to control the attitude of the vehicle over the dynamic surfaces variations that are found in offroad racing.

The 4pksr was one of my options and after looking at the features of both radios I felt the m12 was a better option for me.

Peace man!
Old 04-29-2013, 01:24 PM
Tech Champion

Adrian,

Step down off the high horse for a few and relax for me will you?

I'm not trying to put futaba down any means. When I decided to upgrade from my spektrum DX3r Pro it was because I was able to tell the difference in controling my car when I used a friends MT4 which has a faster response time than the DX3R pro (5.5ms as claimed by Spektrum). This was in offroad racing where vehicle control involves alot of control input from the driver to control the attitude of the vehicle over the dynamic surfaces variations that are found in offroad racing.

The 4pksr was one of my options and after looking at the features of both radios I felt the m12 was a better option for me.

Peace man!
Sorry, didn't mean to go nuts on my soap box. Its all good!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.