12. driver BK, Ryan Cavalieri, marc rheinard
13. innovation DSM, LRP Sphere speedo, Traxxas revo
14. speedo control novak GTX, LRP comp.2, tekin g-10 pro+
15. body Mazda 6, pro-line crowd pleazer, Parma Alfa
16. battery here we go........trinity orion reedy gp3300's see note:3
17. motor Trinity Cobalt, orion V2, trinity monster stock see note:4

Note:1 most TC4 owners sold their car and bought X-rays
Note:2 I not even nitro driver and I know that most people have Mugens
Note:3 To my knowledge Trinity is not the leading distrubiter for Gp3300's (SMC, Promatch, Fusion, Surge?????)
Note:4 Cobalt wasn't even out yet when the voting was going down
Old 05-17-2005, 10:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here we go again, time to bust the magazine's balls , huh?

1. Do you know for a fact that most TC4 owners sold their TC4's? Maybe the true racer's have, but don't forget that MANY other people buy these cars and never see a track!!

2. When I ran a hobby shop I used to sell a TON of the Nitro TC3 RTRs, I honestly can't remeber anyone even asking me for a Mugen.

3. Where does it say the Trinity is the leading distibutor for GP3300's? It just says they were voted the most popular!

4. Again, even if the Cobalt wasn't out...it just says that it was voted as being the MOST POPULAR.

5. Realize that this is a POPULARITY contest and just because someone voted for something does not mean that they have the product!!! Hell, how many times has someone voted for a President of the United States because they like his name?
Old 05-17-2005, 10:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Please feel free to bag on any of the readers' choices in the Readers' Choice Awards, as long as you remember that they are the READERS choices, for better or worse! Not that I think any of the products are not-good, but the same companies winning year-in and year-out gets dull. It speaks to the staying power of the winning brands and the influence of their marketing, but man, enough already!

Since we get flak on this every year, my editorial was all about rebutting the usual comments. I'll post it for you:
Old 05-17-2005, 10:20 AM
Tech Rookie

“I can’t believe you guys picked (insert product).” Don’t blame us, you made all the picks. It’s Readers’ Choice, not editors’ choice!

“That thing isn’t even out yet, how could it win?” It won because you voted for it after you saw it in RC Car Action, in an ad, or on the web. We aren’t bothered if it’s not on sale yet, because it sure didn’t bother you when you voted.

“At my track, (brand) blows away (the brand that won).” And if we could separate the votes from the guys at your track, I’m sure they would reflect that. But when we mix them in with the votes from the rest of the planet...

“It’s fixed, (brand) wins every year.” Actually, if it were fixed, we would mix it up a lot more. Don’t get me wrong, I think undefeated brands like Airtronics and Pro-Line deserve every vote they get, but upsets (like LRP beating Novak last year) are far more interesting than, “Brand X wins again.” But all we do is count the votes.

“How could you pick that guy as best driver? He didn’t win as many racers as (other dude)!” Once again, we don’t pick anything; you do. And again, there are no rules as to how you pick your favorites, including drivers. If it were based purely on wins, we wouldn’t bother with a Readers’ Choice category, we would just tally the victories and send the winningest guy a trophy. Vote for the guy with the best eyebrows if you like, we don’t care.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by elcid4300
Here we go again, time to bust the magazine's balls , huh?

1. Do you know for a fact that most TC4 owners sold their TC4's? Maybe the true racer's have, but don't forget that MANY other people buy these cars and never see a track!!

2. When I ran a hobby shop I used to sell a TON of the Nitro TC3 RTRs, I honestly can't remeber anyone even asking me for a Mugen.

3. Where does it say the Trinity is the leading distibutor for GP3300's? It just says they were voted the most popular!

4. Again, even if the Cobalt wasn't out...it just says that it was voted as being the MOST POPULAR.

5. Realize that this is a POPULARITY contest and just because someone voted for something does not mean that they have the product!!! Hell, how many times has someone voted for a President of the United States because they like his name?
In the three states that I lived in Fla. Va. and Ct the TC3 nitro and TC4 are the minority of the field and RTR and kit are 2 different things. Yes it is the people choice awards but it sends a wrong message when a motor is not even out yet and wins. Do you even sell the Cobalt hobby store owner?
Old 05-17-2005, 10:24 AM
Tech Rookie

I hope that clears up how products win, but again, you don't have to agree with the choices the readers made! My goal isn't to convince you the products that won are "the best." Some may be, but the only thing they're gauranteed to be is the top vote-getters.

Last edited by PeterVieira; 05-17-2005 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:28 AM
Tech Rookie

I call it the "wish book" factor. The readers get the issue with the ballot, start filling it out, and say, "hmmm, which motor (or engine, or whatever) do I like best?" Then they start flipping through the magazine and find an ad. "This one looks cool!" Presto, they vote for it. They don't know if it's out yet or not. They aren't voting for what they have, or what they have experience with, they're voting for what the aspire to own. My favorite car right now is the Shelby GT500. I have never driven one, and it's not even for sale (yet), but it's my favorite.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Peter - I, and many others, believe that more information should be provided by the magazine in regards to the poll. It would be nice to see how many votes were cast, how many each product received, etc.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:30 AM
Tech Rookie

...but if there WERE a way to "qualify" voters, or separate the votes from regular racers (as opposed the the average play-around guy) for special consideration, that would be cool.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by dawgmeat
In the three states that I lived in Fla. Va. and Ct the TC3 nitro and TC4 are the minority of the field and RTR and kit are 2 different things. Yes it is the people choice awards but it sends a wrong message when a motor is not even out yet and win. Do you even sell the Cobalt hoggy store owner?

No, I no longer work in a hobby shop....and I didn't say that I owned it, I was just the manager. As far as the Cobalt winning, maybe people liked the pretty blue color, maybe they liked the name, whatever. I don't agree with it, think the V2 is the ish, but does that mean that the other people are wrong? As matter of fact, when it comes to opinion and voting, there are no WRONG answers.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Dawgmeat,

Most people who buy these cars don't race. They just bash around on their streets or in their back yards.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:51 AM
Tech Rookie

We prefer to keep it simple. The winner won, it doesn't matter if it was by an inch or a mile. We're not in the business of protecting feelings, but I don't think it's a good idea to turn Readers Choice into a public poll of not only which brands are the most popular, but the degree to which they are the most popular.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by PeterVieira
I call it the "wish book" factor. The readers get the issue with the ballot, start filling it out, and say, "hmmm, which motor (or engine, or whatever) do I like best?" Then they start flipping through the magazine and find an ad. "This one looks cool!" Presto, they vote for it. They don't know if it's out yet or not. They aren't voting for what they have, or what they have experience with, they're voting for what the aspire to own. My favorite car right now is the Shelby GT500. I have never driven one, and it's not even for sale (yet), but it's my favorite.
1.reader see a cobalt motor and think thats a pretty blue I'm gonna vote for it.

2. cobalt wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. trinity runs 20 pages of " cobalt the best motor on the market" I' so glad that is blue

Last edited by dawgmeat; 05-17-2005 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:02 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

RadiotrinityControlteamassociatedCarteamlosiActiontowerhobbies caters to the companies, not the hobbyist. Pack your mag full of ads for huge companies trinity, and this is what happens. The free-thinking public abandons the mag, and is enlightened for doing so.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Phatkat, there's seems to be something wrong with your spacebar. It occasionally sticks in the name of a manufacturer instead of a space. Just letting you know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.