Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Serpent Cobra GT or Team C/OFNA GT-V2 >

Serpent Cobra GT or Team C/OFNA GT-V2

Serpent Cobra GT or Team C/OFNA GT-V2

Old 04-24-2013, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default Serpent Cobra GT or Team C/OFNA GT-V2

First forgive me for starting a versus thread. I am not looking for a Ford vs Chevy battle. I am just going back and forth on these two cars and need some swaying. I currently run an OFNA DM1. I have read a lot in both threads but not all.

Serpent Cobra $580- $25 at Absolute

OFNA GTV2 $490-$50 at Tower

So other than a $555 vs $440 initial price difference, shorter vs longer wheelbase, and the Serpent having great worldwide racing results, what other things should I consider?

What upgrades are needed for both?

What are their weaknesses?

If you ran both what do you think?

Anyone regrets buying one or the other?

Thanks for the input,

Troy
Old 04-24-2013, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Oh dear Lord, here we go
Old 04-24-2013, 08:10 PM
Tech Addict

Both are good cars, if you are a good driver you can win with anything. I think that the Cobra is better than the OFNA both in stock form. Of course with both you can take them where ever you want as far as option parts go but the Cobra is a more complete package from the box. I used to race a DM1 and it had everything you could think of as far as upgrades go. I managed to turn faster lap times with the stock Cobra than with the DM1. I haven't driven the new OFNA but I have competed against some still my Cobra only has the stiffer servo saver spring, different springs and aluminum center transmission mount. Those are the parts that most change to their cobras.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jneg
Both are good cars, if you are a good driver you can win with anything. I think that the Cobra is better than the OFNA both in stock form. Of course with both you can take them where ever you want as far as option parts go but the Cobra is a more complete package from the box. I used to race a DM1 and it had everything you could think of as far as upgrades go. I managed to turn faster lap times with the stock Cobra than with the DM1. I haven't driven the new OFNA but I have competed against some still my Cobra only has the stiffer servo saver spring, different springs and aluminum center transmission mount. Those are the parts that most change to their cobras.
+100
Old 04-25-2013, 12:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Troy Mckune
First forgive me for starting a versus thread. I am not looking for a Ford vs Chevy battle. I am just going back and forth on these two cars and need some swaying. I currently run an OFNA DM1. I have read a lot in both threads but not all.

So other than a $555 vs $440 initial price difference, shorter vs longer wheelbase, and the Serpent having great worldwide racing results, what other things should I consider?

Thanks for the input,

Troy
Troy I have the Serpent GT & have found it to be a nice package so far, only very new though & a lot of my fellow racers here in Australia run the serpent that's why I've gone the Serpent. Plus parts support is good.

If I was you & you live in the states I would become Marcus Williams best friend lol. From what I've seen of the Team C car that Marcus is modifying & developing weekly with new/better parts, wow.
I would be going for the Team C, so by no means is this a sales pitch as I live on the other side of the world to Marcus. Just my thoughts.

Cheers Darren
Old 04-25-2013, 06:43 AM
Tech Addict

Smile

Originally Posted by Jazza
Troy I have the Serpent GT & have found it to be a nice package so far, only very new though & a lot of my fellow racers here in Australia run the serpent that's why I've gone the Serpent. Plus parts support is good.

If I was you & you live in the states I would become Marcus Williams best friend lol. From what I've seen of the Team C car that Marcus is modifying & developing weekly with new/better parts, wow.
I would be going for the Team C, so by no means is this a sales pitch as I live on the other side of the world to Marcus. Just my thoughts.

Cheers Darren
UH OHHHH..........Troy w/ a new machine..........

Marcus is definitely your 'cutting edge dude' for the TeamC/OFNA car, check out his 'evolution' of the TeamC. He started with the 'long chassis' and after some chat with Spooky, he's loving the 'short chassis' that you'll have to change with the OFNA. I talked to OFNA and asked 'where is your short car version?'...........ANSWER: 'We're not offering the short chassis version.' (you can go TeamC)

SO; you can not pry that short car out of Spooky's hands and Marcus is now building his version for the masses with great feedback. Last year at TZ GP the 'weak link' in that TeamC took Spooky out of the running......crappy one-way that I've heard has been or CAN be rectified easily.

The main reason you can't get that TeamC away from Spooky is that you can watch him easily 'turn under' the 'snake car' and my Kyosho is a 'lost cause' because of lack of development from the factory in the steering dept.

I also like the quality of the Serpent Cobra GT.........The issues I saw w/ the "one-way" on the TeamC kinda remain in my mind. (also ask if the tank you are getting is a 150cc or not........just a heads up)

I do know that the 'long version' with the incredible steering will still be a 'move-up'.........check availability of 'long bodies'.........
Old 06-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Troy, I bought the early version of the Team C and had a few issues to resolve . The one-way which has been changed now and the chassis had to be ground out to allow better gear mesh. Every car out early had a 125cc tank , but they sent us the 150 soon after. The kit screws stripped easily and have been replaced with stainless. When this car is holding together it's very good. I personally think the Serpent is the best out of the box, but the Team C is very competitive with a bit of work.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:50 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by spooky 1
Troy, I bought the early version of the Team C and had a few issues to resolve . The one-way which has been changed now and the chassis had to be ground out to allow better gear mesh. Every car out early had a 125cc tank , but they sent us the 150 soon after. The kit screws stripped easily and have been replaced with stainless. When this car is holding together it's very good. I personally think the Serpent is the best out of the box, but the Team C is very competitive with a bit of work.
I put the ofna Dm1 2speed in mine to solve the gear mesh problem
Old 06-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Troy Mckune

The most common upgrade on both is the aluminum center mount and brakes. The upgrade engine mount is a plus on the Team C. Kits purchased through me include a HD oneway bearing and toe block for free.

One way on the Team C, drive pin wear on the Serpent

IMO the Serpent has very good turn in with less corner speed while the TeamC is the opposite. The TeamC has more rear exit grip, Serpent has more entry grip, but I have something in the works that should cure this issue on the TEamC

Troy you are going to want the short chassis and its not cheap to convert, the chassis is around 150 by itself, and thats because they sell the long chassis cars 4 times more than short and i know you understand supply and demand!! They are both capable cars. If you are the type that needs track support than Serpent is your car,Its about a 10:1 ratio between the two cars at the track (sometimes more than that!). One distinct advantage is tire wear ,since the TeamC is a flat chassis you dont get the "ring of death" around your front tires. Not a big deal on race day but you can go through some tires if you practice alot especially with the Alpha's. I do most of my testing with SWEEPS and then final prep with Alphas, setup is not the same between the two.

Thanks for the input,

Troy

You already have a Serpent dont you?
Old 06-11-2013, 08:05 PM
Tech Addict

I have had all three cars (Serpent, Team C Long and Short) and I will choose the Serpent every time. The Serpent kit is a pleasure to build and drive. You have superior tune-ability with anything you are going to need to get the car absolutely perfect. Pretty much every aspect of the chassis is adjustable and they provide you with many options to build the car to your own personal preference.

I have had nothing but a positive experience with Team Serpent/Serpent America at the track and on the forums which plays a huge part in my loyalty to the Brand.

I haven't had the same kind of experience with the Team C because at the time I picked my two up there was very few of us running them and even fewer traveling with them. This has since changed.

Team C hasn't established as dominant of a presence in the on road world but with drivers like Marcus and Gus its presence will only build.

Choose your own adventure as either chassis will prove to be an effective racing machine. However in my opinion the Serpent has a very strong lead on the race for now.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by TerribleTy
I have had all three cars (Serpent, Team C Long and Short) and I will choose the Serpent every time. The Serpent kit is a pleasure to build and drive. You have superior tune-ability with anything you are going to need to get the car absolutely perfect. Pretty much every aspect of the chassis is adjustable and they provide you with many options to build the car to your own personal preference.

I have had nothing but a positive experience with Team Serpent/Serpent America at the track and on the forums which plays a huge part in my loyalty to the Brand.

I haven't had the same kind of experience with the Team C because at the time I picked my two up there was very few of us running them and even fewer traveling with them. This has since changed.

Team C hasn't established as dominant of a presence in the on road world but with drivers like Marcus and Gus its presence will only build.

Choose your own adventure as either chassis will prove to be an effective racing machine. However in my opinion the Serpent has a very strong lead on the race for now.

Dont forget Rob Bendall is now factory TeamC, he has been doing well here lately!
Old 06-11-2013, 08:17 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
Dont forget Rob Bendall is now factory TeamC, he has been doing well here lately!
Just another example of the presence, its coming
Old 06-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by scary_jerry
The main reason you can't get that TeamC away from Spooky is that you can watch him easily 'turn under' the 'snake car' and my Kyosho is a 'lost cause' because of lack of development from the factory in the steering dept.
The tides have turned my friend, come out and see
Old 06-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Thanks for all the input. I did get a Serpent Cobra a few weeks back and I am loving it.

I am looking forward to seeing the Team C car in action at the Timezone Gran Prix.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:31 PM
Tech Regular

Wow. And the war continues. Would be great if the big "K" would break out a IGT-V2 just about now after 6 yrs of dormancy. Lol !! The MP9 buggy is their baby still ... Smh... Maybe I should build a proto MP9 GT8 ???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.