Like Tree34Likes

Schumacher Mi5

Old 09-11-2013, 08:41 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by jdm19turn
there is after market purple aluminum upper deck mounts that you can replace the plastic ones that are attached to the shock tower and the ones in the middle of upperdeck to stiff it more over the stock ones i got them off ebay
I believe the factory part numbers are U4339 for the top deck end and U4282 for the top deck spacer...
Attached Thumbnails Schumacher Mi5-u4339_w.jpg   Schumacher Mi5-u4282_w.jpg  
Old 09-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Tech Regular

Anyone who can link to the 0.3mm shims ore x-rings to use, when the shocks leaks like crazy.

I have built some shocks in the past, but these I can't get to stop leaking.

Links would be appriciated.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Tech Regular

Anyone know what size springs these take? need to stiffen slightly than kit springs

@ Shock Tower, strange yours are leaking? mine are not, only time they have leaked slightly is from where the cap that covers up the o ring etc at the bottom has un done itself a little.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Schumacher RED
Old 09-12-2013, 01:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Shock Tower
Anyone who can link to the 0.3mm shims ore x-rings to use, when the shocks leaks like crazy.

I have built some shocks in the past, but these I can't get to stop leaking.

Links would be appriciated.
I started with these:

http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-53585-s...?cPath=421_520

and have ended up with these:

http://www.reflexracing.net/RSD-3mm-...cs_p_1208.html

They are slightly larger than the stock and don't require the shimming. Don't seem to bind either.. no leaks so far. Hope it helps ..
Old 09-12-2013, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DiscountRCStore
Those are 3mm ID. You don't want those. They could damage and bind the shock shaft, and the OD might actually be too small to actually improve sealing.

From Martin's blog:
"When assembling the shocks, I like to add a 0.3mm shim (4mm inner diameter) to the bottom shockshaft guidance. This ensures, that the oring is slightly compressed and seales properly. Very important when running little rebound, as otherwise you suck in a lot of air. And again: air ain’t good in dampers"

-Mike
Old 09-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Finished building my shocks up last night, and actually ended up trying something out that feels very nice on the bench, and that was removing te plastic spacer, and putting 2x 3mm o-rings (not x-rings) in the bottom of each shock, along with 0.4mm worth of spacers (I just used 2x 0.2x4 shims, either side of the o-rings). Very smooth action, and doubt wry muh they will leak... And also liberally coated the rings with green slime, which also always seems to help too.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by grippgoat
Those are 3mm ID. You don't want those. They could damage and bind the shock shaft, and the OD might actually be too small to actually improve sealing.

From Martin's blog:
"When assembling the shocks, I like to add a 0.3mm shim (4mm inner diameter) to the bottom shockshaft guidance. This ensures, that the oring is slightly compressed and seales properly. Very important when running little rebound, as otherwise you suck in a lot of air. And again: air ain’t good in dampers"

-Mike
You are correct.. not meaning to confuse the topic, thats precisely what I found as I was unable to source the correct shim.. evidently didn't communicate that very well .. the RSD o-ring does work well.. 2 outings so far and no leaks or air.. appreciate the clarification; not wanting to send guys the wrong direction ..
Old 09-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

My Mi5 is not built and radio gear installed. I will need a new spur as the kit stock is 48P and I prefer 64P gears.

Pros
- the spur holder is trick and it will be a breeze to change a spurs.
- neat body posts will make for a clean body exterior
- diff oil, shock oil, black grease (lots) and Loctite included in the box
- parts that need to be glued into the chassis and arms are done at the factory

Cons
- alloy body post holders but only plastic servo mounts
- purple wheel hexes
- wheel hexes use a smaller pin that anything else I've run
- no servo saver included
- the left vertical upper deck blocks access to the pinion set screw

I had one threaded shock collar refuse to thread onto the shock body due to a defect. The manual could be better and Tamiya are still the best I've seen.

Last edited by SteveM; 09-17-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SteveM
My Mi5 is not built and radio gear installed. I will need a new spur as the kit stock is 48P and I prefer 64P gears.

Pros
- the spur holder is trick and it will be a breeze to change a spurs.
- neat body posts will make for a clean body exterior
- diff oil, shock oil, black grease (lots) and Loctite included in the box
- parts that need to be glued into the chassis and arms are done at the factory

Cons
- alloy body post holders but only plastic servo mounts
- purple wheel hexes
- wheel hexes use a smaller pin that anything else I've run
- no servo saver included
- the left vertical upper deck blocks access to the pinion set screw

I had one threaded shock collar refuse to thread onto the shock body due to a defect. The manual could be better and Tamiya are still the best I've seen.

I am glad it includes plastic servo horns, one impact that would of ruined my savox servo instead stripped the servo horn, a servo saver wouldnt even of saved my servo ..so to that i think schumacher got it right.

pinion set screw is easy to get too depends on how you mount the pinion and where you need it, i struggle a bit when im running 35-36+ pinions but loosening off the brace to allow more flex on the top deck means i can get to the pinion far easier.

Raced my mi5 today indoors, the car is just..so breezy to drive, very forgiving and very quick in the right hands. But does need some knowledge on setup to get the best out of it, other wise its a bit of a handful as i noticed from other peoples mi5's today.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I prefer savers over just horns on all my cars (including my previous Schuies). Schumacher got it right on the MI3...IMHO of course
Old 09-15-2013, 11:04 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by PurcyP
I am glad it includes plastic servo horns, one impact that would of ruined my savox servo instead stripped the servo horn, a servo saver wouldnt even of saved my servo ..so to that i think schumacher got it right.

pinion set screw is easy to get too depends on how you mount the pinion and where you need it, i struggle a bit when im running 35-36+ pinions but loosening off the brace to allow more flex on the top deck means i can get to the pinion far easier.

Raced my mi5 today indoors, the car is just..so breezy to drive, very forgiving and very quick in the right hands. But does need some knowledge on setup to get the best out of it, other wise its a bit of a handful as i noticed from other peoples mi5's today.
My comment on pinion was that the access to the set screw is blocked by the upper brace. Not to mention, that with the included stock 87T 48P spur gear, the largest pinion that fits is a 28T giving a FDR of 5.59 which is way off anything competitive.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:14 AM
Tech Regular

My comment on pinion was that the access to the set screw is blocked by the upper brace. Not to mention, that with the included stock 87T 48P spur gear, the largest pinion that fits is a 28T giving a FDR of 5.59 which is way off anything competitive.
Well thats not schumachers fault, some kits dont even come with spurs, i ended up just getting a 70t 48p and then have 30 to 37 pinions for my blinky racing.

and how is yours blocked by the upper brace? mine certainly isnt
Old 09-15-2013, 11:28 AM
Tech Champion

See the picture showing how the vertical upper brace blocks access to the set screw on the pinion.

Last edited by SteveM; 12-24-2015 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Tech Regular

See the picture showing how the vertical upper brace blocks access to the set screw on the pinion.
Turn pinion around is how i run and everyone else i know,for 48 & 64dp

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.