Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree34Likes

Schumacher Mi5

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 09:53 AM
Tech Initiate

So far so good with my Mi5. No breaks no issues! apart from user error!
Mine is weighing in at about 1480grams. I am now running the mid motor and have nothing bad to say about it. the turn in that I get is unreal.

As I am still learning the ins and outs of setup and gearing I couldn't tell you where to go or what to do. sorry for my noobish behaviour. But we all have to start some where don't we!

As soon as my post count is up I will start posting pictures.

Out the box setup was how I first used it with different shocks and springs. Still schuie parts and springs. I was three hundreds of a second behind my cxl which I have been toying with for the past few months.

So on a side note I am seriously impressed with the Mi5. Managed 3rd in the c final at chatham maritime raceway uk last night and had no top end on the straight. It kind of died coming half way up the straight but ment I didn't have to break for the turn!!!

Will report back with more news soon.

Captain out
Old 06-21-2013, 10:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Captain go slow
So far so good with my Mi5. No breaks no issues! apart from user error!
Mine is weighing in at about 1480grams. I am now running the mid motor and have nothing bad to say about it. the turn in that I get is unreal.

As I am still learning the ins and outs of setup and gearing I couldn't tell you where to go or what to do. sorry for my noobish behaviour. But we all have to start some where don't we!

As soon as my post count is up I will start posting pictures.

Out the box setup was how I first used it with different shocks and springs. Still schuie parts and springs. I was three hundreds of a second behind my cxl which I have been toying with for the past few months.

So on a side note I am seriously impressed with the Mi5. Managed 3rd in the c final at chatham maritime raceway uk last night and had no top end on the straight. It kind of died coming half way up the straight but ment I didn't have to break for the turn!!!

Will report back with more news soon.

Captain out
Hey Captain,
Didn't know we had another mi5 driver there last night! Glad it's working out for you! I love my mi5 and getting it going a lot quicker than the mi4cxl too - come and have a chat next week and we can compare notes!
All the best
Paul
Old 06-21-2013, 10:30 AM
Tech Initiate

I am not there as much as ide like to be. And highly doubt I will be there next week. Truly gutted to be honest. If only I worked 9-5it would be ok! we sat back to back in the pits I think we chatted a few times. you helped with my cxl?? I am the ginger 1 that asks too many questions!
Old 06-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Tech Regular

In the manual the setup sheet for Cotswold has the droop set as 4mm Rear, 4.5mm front but the box for On 10mm Block is not ticked... so is this droop done over ride height?

So the rear ride height is 6mm with droop as 4mm - do I set the ride height to 6mm and then with the wheels and shocks etc still on I put the car at 10mm on the ride height gauge and do the droop screws until the wheels just leave the setup board on each side?
Old 06-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Tech Regular

Put the car flat on your setup board without wheels and use a ride height gauge to set 4mm and 4.5mm on the wishbone under the outer hinge pin.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:44 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cyclonetog
Put the car flat on your setup board without wheels and use a ride height gauge to set 4mm and 4.5mm on the wishbone under the outer hinge pin.
Cheers, mate... you may have noticed I have changed cars ;-)
Old 06-21-2013, 11:05 AM
Tech Addict

I am not there as much as ide like to be. And highly doubt I will be there next week. Truly gutted to be honest. If only I worked 9-5it would be ok! we sat back to back in the pits I think we chatted a few times. you helped with my cxl?? I am the ginger 1 that asks too many questions!
Lol! Gotcha! Well hopefully you'll make it down again soon!
Old 06-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by scoyle
Good to see you back!
Old 06-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by scoyle
Your reputation precedes you..
Old 06-21-2013, 05:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Would be really cool if you could help me sort my gearing. The car is really nice through the infield but gutless on the straight. I started as a base by mirroring my gearing from my cxl. but I think because the speedos are different the final gear doesn't have the same effect as it does on the cxl. I know there are lots of different factors as well like boost, timing. And how I need a smaller spur so I can fit a large pinion on there. With an 85tooth spur the max I can run is a 29 and its a tight fit and it makes a horrid noise. I thought it was going to strip the spur of the line in the final! Do you recommend dropping down a tooth so I don't run on the limit??? And so I can actually feel some backlash between the spur and the pinion?? I have the feeling I am only looking for about 2-3 more teeth on my pinion to find the desired top speed I think I need. What sort of shock and spring combo did you run In the end for the final?? The long and short of it is I would like to find a nice middle ground where I am not running on either extreme! if you understand what I am saying. Maybe this would all be easier if I just let you drive my car!

Yours sincerely

Captain
Old 06-22-2013, 02:08 AM
Tech Addict

Would be really cool if you could help me sort my gearing. The car is really nice through the infield but gutless on the straight. I started as a base by mirroring my gearing from my cxl. but I think because the speedos are different the final gear doesn't have the same effect as it does on the cxl. I know there are lots of different factors as well like boost, timing. And how I need a smaller spur so I can fit a large pinion on there. With an 85tooth spur the max I can run is a 29 and its a tight fit and it makes a horrid noise. I thought it was going to strip the spur of the line in the final! Do you recommend dropping down a tooth so I don't run on the limit??? And so I can actually feel some backlash between the spur and the pinion?? I have the feeling I am only looking for about 2-3 more teeth on my pinion to find the desired top speed I think I need. What sort of shock and spring combo did you run In the end for the final?? The long and short of it is I would like to find a nice middle ground where I am not running on either extreme! if you understand what I am saying. Maybe this would all be easier if I just let you drive my car!

Yours sincerely

Captain
Gearing wise I'm running 7.6 fdr with my 10.5 and if I run 13.5 then I'd be at about 8.0 so with your 85 spur I'd be running a 20t or 19t pinion. Remember this is boosted not blinky.
Also have a look at the timing on the motor.
I'm currently running yokomo pink and blue springs with 450wt oil all round and the car handles great. Need a bit more initial steering so will try blues all round next week.
Been using Hofer's lrp setup with a few tweaks - try it out.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Does the Mi5's rear gear differential (PN U4333) fit in the front of the car too? Or does only the Spec-R gear diff PN G868 fit in the front?

Wondering because I am considering a gear differential for the front, in lieu of the kit spool.

Bill S
Old 06-22-2013, 08:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Only the spec r gear diff fits in the front.

Captain
Old 06-22-2013, 08:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Thank you. Whew, I'm really glad I asked because I would surely have bought the wrong one!

Bill S.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:12 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by waswadener
Does the Mi5's rear gear differential (PN U4333) fit in the front of the car too? Or does only the Spec-R gear diff PN G868 fit in the front?

Wondering because I am considering a gear differential for the front, in lieu of the kit spool.

Bill S
Only the spec r gear diff fits in the front.

Captain
Originally Posted by waswadener
Thank you. Whew, I'm really glad I asked because I would surely have bought the wrong one!

Bill S.
The factory schumacher gear diff fits and runs great in the front. All 4 Mi5 drivers around here have moved to gear diff's in the font, and we are running between 600,000 and 1,000,000 cst oil. The front belt shifts to the left a little bit since the pully is closer to centerline than the spool, so you might need to double check your belt tension, but that's it. Works great, zero issues, and you don't need to run the crappy spec-R. The Schui gear diff is worlds better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.