Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree34Likes

Schumacher Mi5

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 09:16 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cpt.America

Do we know what the wait time is? I heard 2 weeks?
Robin Schumacher was interviewed on Saturday and said they were trying to get kits out to the team drivers for this weekend, then a production run in 2 weeks time (about a week from now).

What that means for kits landing on US soil I wouldn't know. I guess the biggest factor would be if they're sent by air or water?
Old 04-19-2013, 09:48 AM
Tech Regular

Ordered , now just got to wait a few weeks.

The Mi4CXL was the car i had the most success with and hold the 17.5 blinky track record at my local club so i have high hopes for the Mi5.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:59 AM
Tech Adept

Manual, setup sheets, and parts lists are up on the website.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Not that it really matters, but does the piece of carbon in the floating servo mount look like it's laminated glass?
Old 04-19-2013, 10:52 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tutankhamen
You just proved his point. Bully is an apt description. Captain America needs to address what gwhizz brought to everyone's attention. If I have to start a new thread on that subject alone I will.

Back to the car. Working with CF in my profession the CF arms give me some concern on longevity. I worry they will be too stiff and start to separate between plies after a couple hits. Especially if your running mod.
Hey Tutanhamen
I believe there's plastic insert for the Graphite arm that snap over the pillow ball the mount T/C bottom chassis...just maybe
Old 04-19-2013, 11:00 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OVA
Hey Tutanhamen
I believe there's plastic insert for the Graphite arm that snap over the pillow ball the mount T/C bottom chassis...just maybe
That is a possibilty. Definatley going to keep an eye on it and see how it works in the hands of club racers. That's all need is another car in the rc garage. lol

Hmmm I noticed the post about argueing with moderators is a violation of the Term of Use has been removed. Interesting. Maybe it has something to with that rule not even existing? King status denied. hahahahaha

Last edited by tutankhamen; 04-19-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Carbon arms hold up just fine on the Awesomatix, should work well here also. Glad to see something different finally.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Schumacher parts used to be comparitively expensive 7 years ago but since then all the other manufacturers got more expensive. I ran Xrays sedans for a while last year and was shocked at the cost of spare parts.

When I looked at the Mi4CXL almost all molded and carbon parts were LESS expensive than than same parts on an Xray T3 2012.

Associated is dirt cheap in the US since they are local. No one can beat them for cheap spares but compared to Yok, Xray and Tamiya Schumacher is right in line or less expensive.

I haven't run a Schumacher since the Mi3 days (Mi2 EC and Mission before that) but when I was, I lost count of the number of bent pivot pins and broken wishbones, it was getting stupid.
Jumped ship to Xray and the broken parts dried up, in 4 years I haven't bent or broken a single pivot pin or block, and a total of 3 wishbones. Though I have had a few other breakages.
While Schumacher parts were cheaper in the UK I ended up having to buy a lot more of them.
Not sure how much different the price is in the US, but Xray make their parts in house. Everyone else get's their's made in far East for pennies.

I also got fed up of the necessity for sanding and filing just to get parts to fit.

There are some interesting design features and changes and look forward to seeing these cars on track.

Skiddins
Old 04-19-2013, 12:19 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by OVA
Hey Tutanhamen
Yes there is, you can see in the assembly instructions in the manual you slide the insert over the ball and then glue the insert into the arm. The rigid hole in the arm locks the ball into the insert.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
I haven't run a Schumacher since the Mi3 days (Mi2 EC and Mission before that) but when I was, I lost count of the number of bent pivot pins and broken wishbones, it was getting stupid.
Jumped ship to Xray and the broken parts dried up, in 4 years I haven't bent or broken a single pivot pin or block, and a total of 3 wishbones. Though I have had a few other breakages.
While Schumacher parts were cheaper in the UK I ended up having to buy a lot more of them.
Not sure how much different the price is in the US, but Xray make their parts in house. Everyone else get's their's made in far East for pennies.

I also got fed up of the necessity for sanding and filing just to get parts to fit.

There are some interesting design features and changes and look forward to seeing these cars on track.

Skiddins
I bent pins from time to time on the old original suspension but never on the Mi cars. The early Mi arms where very skeletal and fragile. From the Mi4 on they got a lot tougher and pin fits were tightened up.

I raced Schumacher sedans from the SST 99 (1999) to the Mi3.5 (2007). I know what you mean about fitting parts. I have seen a few later Mi4's (LP's and CXL's) and I can say Schumacher have come a long way since our days. Honestly, my Mi-2, 2EC, 3 and 3.5 fell right together with no fitting. My 99 to Mission cars were a...err...different story...lol!
Old 04-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Tech Addict

I bent pins from time to time on the old original suspension but never on the Mi cars. The early Mi arms where very skeletal and fragile. From the Mi4 on they got a lot tougher and pin fits were tightened up.

I raced Schumacher sedans from the SST 99 (1999) to the Mi3.5 (2007). I know what you mean about fitting parts. I have seen a few later Mi4's (LP's and CXL's) and I can say Schumacher have come a long way since our days. Honestly, my Mi-2, 2EC, 3 and 3.5 fell right together with no fitting. My 99 to Mission cars were a...err...different story...lol!
I agree Adrian, I have only been racing Schumachers since my SST days. Anytime anyone heard a dremel tool in the pits, someone would say that they were listening to the mating call of a Schumacher!
lol.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:49 PM
Tech Adept

Default cool

I think the car looks, as per usual with schumacher, very interesting.

I had an MI4LP, and just could not get on with it. I wouold hasten to add that as skiddins said, many do get on with the car and are very fast with them. I wish I was one of them as I loved the car - it just did not love me...

When I talk to people at the racetrack, people comment that Schumachers have a tendancy to be very pointy, whereas Xrays tend to be quite understeery . I moved to an old Xray T2'008 and have stayed with Xrays since, although I make them very 'pointy'.

I disagree with Schumachers being fragile. The bearings were lowsy, but I never broke anything else on the car.

I've also not broken a part on an Xray though for that matter either.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

My very first Sedan was an Axis pro2... (actually, I just acquired one new-in-package, and am going to build it for the shelf). I also had a street weapon, and I recall both cars needing a bit of work to fit together like you would want. I remember the mission1 being about as bad.

The SV I raced however, that kit went together like butter. Best build I have ever done. I have no doubt that the Mi5 build/quality/packaging/sturdiness and manual, will be every bit as good as the SV (however, I hated the diff with a passion).

Super excited for this sedan.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

We're told that the Mi5 weighs 560gm as a bare chassis (no electrics/tyres/wheels/body.

Anybody have a bare bones Mi4CXL to weigh as a comparison? Two weeks is far too long to wait!
Old 04-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Tech Addict

Hey Martin Hofer, do you have a good setup for stock? I hope to have this in time for the Reedy Race next month, and I need a good starting point. Thank you, Rich

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.