Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Which of the big six? >

Which of the big six?

Which of the big six?

Old 04-12-2013, 04:20 AM
Tech Initiate

I'm in Suffolk but will travel up to an hour to find racing.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:45 AM
Tech Addict

Do include the Serpent 411 Eryx in your list if you can. I drove a TCX before moving on to a T3'12 and now I'm on the Serpent 411 wagon.

TCX was probably easiest to drive and the T3'12 was most durable.

The serpent is a little more twitchy than the TCX but my laptimes are a bit faster as well. Of all 3 cars I was slowest with the T3'12 but it gave me the most confidence.

I'm having the most fun with the Serpent though.

P.s. Might as well throw in the Sakura XI here. It was probably my most anticipated rc buy yet. Dirt cheap and impressive looking but horrible experience. Every knock and collision alters the settings of the car. When it comes to RC... you get what you pay for... The TF-6s burn a hole in your pocket but I've seen one on the track and it is mighty impressive.

Last edited by tak4; 04-12-2013 at 05:01 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:30 AM
Tech Master

here is a club in bury st edmonds http://westsuffolkmcc.com/
Old 04-12-2013, 05:46 AM
Tech Adept

Might be worth trying to pick up an Mi4 nice and cheap, prices have already dropped a bit in anticipation for the Mi5. Parts would be easy to get, and a lot of people run them so you'll be able get some help on setups and build tips.

Otherwise I'd suggest looking at a Spec-R R1, the bits are easy to get but you'll have to wait as they'll come from America or HK. Car is as quick as any of the top end cars really, all the features are there but it costs a lot less.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:12 AM
Tech Elite

I honestly think the best car on carpet at the moment is the Yokomo BD7, outdoors it a little untested in the UK yet.
Xray I believe are the best for durability etc with a wide setup window.
Schumacher's seem to be quick in the right hands, but I have known quite a few people go quicker once they've change to Xray or Tamiya.
Tamiya are good, but the verdict on the latest incarnation seems a little mixed and they certainly don't have the durability of Xray.

I'm at West London ; http://www.wlrc.co.uk

Search Facebook for West Suffolk Model Car Club and aska few questions and go along.
I've never been there but quite a few of the drivers

As the saying goes 'You can't beat local knowledge' See what the others at the prospective club run as they will be able to help you out with advice and spares on the night etc.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I have a TCXX and it seems really stable and easy to drive.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

FWIW I'm fairly new to this but in my limited experience I find the Xray to be the easiest to work on of the cars I have. My other cars I wouldn't recommend for you as they are the HPI Sprint 2 Sport for USGT and the Associated TC4 for VTA. I have an Xray T3R and love it. It is by far the better quality chassis of my herd, but others at my club are racing Tamiya 417, TOP Photon, Xray T3 and T4s as well as Associated TC6.1. The Xray has better parts support locally and is the easier chassis to work on from what I've seen and heard. I break fewer parts with my crappy driving skills by far. I can almost always get help from someone familiar with it when needed as well.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I ran a Wildfire a few months ago to try on road and got very discouraged because it broke everytime I tapped anything. Broke 3 or 4 times in one day. Put it up and eventually sold it for a big loss.

I recently got a T4 to go run nats since it's not far away. I know I'm sponsored by Xray (for offroad) and I shouldn't say anything bad but here what I found. I ran it last weekend for 2 days straight of charging the battery, running, tweaking and repeating. At the end of Sunday I had jumped over every dot, hit every corner, smashed stuff, everything bad. No broken parts, no cracked parts, nothing needing to be replaced. I've driven off road cars that are weaker. I ended up not too far off the fastest guys in 17.5, just need another couple track days and I don't think I'll be much off their pace. Car is easy to drive and easy to wrench on. Spares may cost a good bit, but it's rare that you'll need them, stock up at the start and you'll be set for a long time.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Looking like I'll go for the xray T4.

It will out perform me but so will most cars. It sounds like it will be forgiving on setup and probably more important, durable in any crashes.

As for the guts I'm looking at a savox 1251 or 1252. Not sure if the higher torque in the 1251 will be better than the higher speed of the 1252.

As for esc I'm going with the speed passion reventon pro with a V3.0 MMM motor.

Thanks for all the advice. As a beginner its been really helpful.

Tom
Old 04-13-2013, 11:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Durango DETC410 on the way too, just to throw it into the mix.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SARBoy

It will out perform me but so will most cars. It sounds like it will be forgiving on setup and probably more important, durable in any crashes.

As for the guts I'm looking at a savox 1251 or 1252. Not sure if the higher torque in the 1251 will be better than the higher speed of the 1252.

Tom
Even the 1251 has more than enough speed for on-road sedan. Look at it this way. The Futaba s9551 is one of the most favored servos for sedan, and its speed is only .12 @ 6.0v. The Savox is .09 @ 6.0v.

Stick with the 1251, imo. You won't need the extra speed. If anything, you'll probably turn it down a bit.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Tom
If you get one of those, carry a spare set of gears. I ran the 1251 in my offroad buggy for a year but I ended up stripping a gear. I've seen quite a few guys do the same thing, it's not often, but it seems common enough with those servos. You definitely can't beat it for the price though.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I recommend you avoid the Reventon like the plague. If you are new to this use a Hobbywing. They are very popular for good reason and there will be plenty of people willing to help with settings.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:27 PM
Tech Initiate

I recommend you avoid the Reventon like the plague. If you are new to this use a Hobbywing. They are very popular for good reason and there will be plenty of people willing to help with settings.
Why avoid the reventon? This is not my first rodeo as far as esc's go.

I've been using esc's for years. My current heli is a kontronik and before that a castle. I've set up lots of esc's before. Is it just the setup is a pain or is it a design flaw?

Does it have a bad rep? I've not found/heard about it. Can you expand on the above?
Old 04-14-2013, 12:25 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Why avoid the reventon? This is not my first rodeo as far as esc's go.

I've been using esc's for years. My current heli is a kontronik and before that a castle. I've set up lots of esc's before. Is it just the setup is a pain or is it a design flaw?

Does it have a bad rep? I've not found/heard about it. Can you expand on the above?
Because they are broken and hard to use, the stock spec is ok from all reports, but the other one has had a lot of trouble.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.