Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Innovative idea or just plain stupid??? You tell me. >

Innovative idea or just plain stupid??? You tell me.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Innovative idea or just plain stupid??? You tell me.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I've got a magazine with a picture of it....but I forget who...maybe pavadis...ran an RC10 in the worlds and ran their rear shocks upside down.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

thats what ive been wondering too because rock crawler people have been mounting their shocks this way for a LONG LONG time so i thought y not?
Old 05-11-2005, 09:27 PM
Tech Master

I know guys that have been doing this for YEARS. Since the Picco 1/8th and 1/10th scale gas cars came out. So...about 8 years ago I noticed it. Only, they did it because on the Picco cars it made it easier to get to the spring collar.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:52 PM
Tech Champion

Greddy> rock crawlers aren't looking at the same speeds and transistions that tc's are. So they aren't losing out when they flip the shocks.

If anyone is really worried about picking up time, inboard the shocks and be done with it.

Old 05-11-2005, 09:56 PM
Tech Master

what if you cut your spring in half and put the thread adj. thing in the middle of the 2 springs? i saw it on a truck one time. Probally stupid idea for 1/10th though.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:58 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Mason
Greddy> rock crawlers aren't looking at the same speeds and transistions that tc's are. So they aren't losing out when they flip the shocks.

If anyone is really worried about picking up time, inboard the shocks and be done with it.

o well but they use it for the same reasons
Old 05-11-2005, 10:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

*edit* read the whole thread and answered my own question.

I'd check the oil every raceday at least though. Be bad if one got low, there'd be no dampening until the piston got to the oil.

As far as sprun/unsprung, wouldn't it still be sprung weight since it's actually mounted on the arm and still controlled by itself? Not like your taking a full shock body and taping it on the arm outside of an already mounted shock. That would be unsprung..??

Last edited by jbrow1; 05-11-2005 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Sprung is anything that the spring supports.

Here is a good way to look at it - if you add weight to the chassis, you would need to readjust the spring collars to gain back ride height. Sprung weight.

You can add as much weight as you want to the tire, arm, bottom of the shock, etc. it wont affect ride height. Unsprung weight.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by Jack Smash
Sprung is anything that the spring supports.

Here is a good way to look at it - if you add weight to the chassis, you would need to readjust the spring collars to gain back ride height. Sprung weight.

You can add as much weight as you want to the tire, arm, bottom of the shock, etc. it wont affect ride height. Unsprung weight.
Yup...
Old 05-12-2005, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Want to see if it makes a difference?? Leave your set-up alone, and just strap 1/2 oz, 1oz or whatever to the bottom of the suspension arm - I did it a long time ago at the ROAR Nats when we were racing Ripon. We were traction rolling so I tried taking the weight off the chassis, putting it on the a-arms and flipping the shocks over - it was horrible...lol....

Remember, if you have 3x's more weight on the suspension arm assembly (unsprung) it will take 3x's more dampening and spring to control that weight = Basically, you loose traction as well as responce.... That's why all the mfg's went away from pillow ball suspension on electric TC's - My RRR electric car I made for the Snowbirds had 5x's more unsprung weight than a 415, Xray or TC4 and it was a complete handfull to drive unless the track was perfectly flat......

This is the same reason why we now make Ti screws and king pins and have re-designed the front a-arms to be much lighter on the CEFX C12 1/12 kit.... Unsprung weight is very critical to performance, especially when you look at the small % of suspension travel we actually use on the track.....

Just my .02......
Old 05-12-2005, 11:24 AM
Tech Regular

Speaking of Ripon, We are racing this weekend!! Good practice for Reedy! Come out Josh
Old 05-12-2005, 11:26 AM
Tech Champion

Hi Josh, I see your video : kyosho inferno flying over the house .... and the car is still okay despite of 20 feet jump What next ?

How do we measure unsprung weight ? Is it the whole suspension arms : suspension arm, C upright, bearings, dogbone, wheel, tire, Shock & Spring, Stabilizer ?

( Perhaps that was one reason Tamiya release Light Weight Suspension Kit for TRF 415.)
Old 05-12-2005, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Half of the weight of things that are fixed to the chassis at one end. Things like springs, arms, swaybars, camber links, driveshafts. Whole weight of things like tires, hubs, axles.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Just plain stupid... you've been told.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by Josh Cyrul
Want to see if it makes a difference?? Leave your set-up alone, and just strap 1/2 oz, 1oz or whatever to the bottom of the suspension arm - I did it a long time ago at the ROAR Nats when we were racing Ripon. We were traction rolling so I tried taking the weight off the chassis, putting it on the a-arms and flipping the shocks over - it was horrible...lol....

Remember, if you have 3x's more weight on the suspension arm assembly (unsprung) it will take 3x's more dampening and spring to control that weight = Basically, you loose traction as well as responce.... That's why all the mfg's went away from pillow ball suspension on electric TC's - My RRR electric car I made for the Snowbirds had 5x's more unsprung weight than a 415, Xray or TC4 and it was a complete handfull to drive unless the track was perfectly flat......

This is the same reason why we now make Ti screws and king pins and have re-designed the front a-arms to be much lighter on the CEFX C12 1/12 kit.... Unsprung weight is very critical to performance, especially when you look at the small % of suspension travel we actually use on the track.....

Just my .02......
Ok...whatever...what does Josh Cyrul know anyhow....

Just kiddin! Thanks for weighing in on the discussion Josh!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.