Wiki Posts
Search

Who charging 20+ amps or more now??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bvoltz
Yes it is the 4010Duo and I will look this up in the manual... I was trying to figure out what setting could be changed when you are at race and the voltage meter is not the same as the charger, up or down... adjustment....

So is this normal to drop off that much after a short time?

This is different than some of the other chargers. My charger did the same thing and found that the maintain voltage optioned provided the fix that I was looking for.

good luck
Old 05-16-2013, 02:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mingoglia
All my CRC packs have the 1C warning on them. On these though I think the lower the better because EVERY shorty CRC I've ever seen, even charged at 1C, start to puff after a month. The standard size ones seem fine, but the shorties rock like a rocking chair when put on the table.
What charger are you using on those packs?

CRC advertises low IR and high discharge rates, that would mean that the Lipo should have a higher charge rating greater than 1C.

At 1C charging with a good charger, it should not puff.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Team Grid RC
Most Lipo packs sold for transmitters, receivers will not be used in high discharge rates and should be charged at 1C. These will come with tiny connectors.

Packs sold for racing and helis that have high C discharge rates also have high charge rates. These packs comes from the factory with 4mm, 5mm and EC5 connectors. A label that indicates the maximum C charge rates should be somewhere on the pack.

Also, high C discharge and high C charge packs also have lower IR. You will see this during the charge cycle. On the race packs, I am seeing 1.9 mega-ohm and less and for transmitter packs, I see readings of 20 mega-ohm.

If there is no max charge label, then charge at 1C.
Interesting info. While we're on the subject of 5C, what are your thoughts on the 12C claims of Thunder Power? They claim full charges in under 5 mins, at least with their "Pro Race" series of packs. Assuming a charger is even available, I couldn't imagine (in this case) charging these packs at 48 amps!
Old 05-16-2013, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MDawson
This is different than some of the other chargers. My charger did the same thing and found that the maintain voltage optioned provided the fix that I was looking for.

good luck
Excellent.. thanks...

If anyone is looking for this, in the manual it is called "Keep charging after the done" which is a check mark and is on the "LiXX Charge Advanced Setup" screen on page 16...
Old 05-16-2013, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

Interesting info. While we're on the subject of 5C, what are your thoughts on the 12C claims of Thunder Power? They claim full charges in under 5 mins, at least with their "Pro Race" series of packs. Assuming a charger is even available, I couldn't imagine (in this case) charging these packs at 48 amps!
These?

http://thunderpowerrc.com/G6ProRace6...oBatteries.htm
Old 05-16-2013, 02:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JiuHaWong
Yes.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:40 PM
Tech Addict

If the packs are clearly label for 12C charging and it is also ROAR Approved, then either the DUO4010 or PL6/8 can charge them at the full 40A. At those charge level, make sure you use a steel box.

If they blow, then TP owns you another new pack. They make the claim and charge the premium $$ and have to back it up.

By the way, high performance charger like the DUO4010 and PL6/8 have good safety software programming to ensure 40A is done safely and will shut down if it detects battery problems. The other thing you need and most racers don't buy is a good balancing board that is fully fuse protected.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:59 PM
Tech Regular

Do you find when you charge at these levels that it only takes the several minutes, but then it spends a few times that just balancing? Will these cells typically take that high of amperage and stay relatively balanced so that it's not having to rely on the tiny balancing port to balance them out? In other words if I have a pack that can charge within 5 mins, is it going to spend another 15 mins just balancing out? What's a realistic charge time for say a 5,000 mah pack when charging it from say a typical lipo cutoff voltage to a "full" (balanced) charge?
Old 05-16-2013, 03:10 PM
Tech Addict

Have you used a DUO4010 or PL6/8?

These chargers will balance charge faster than others. Based on the charge rate if the calculated time is say 10min, will be done in 10min.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Tech Regular

Have you used a DUO4010 or PL6/8?

These chargers will balance charge faster than others. Based on the charge rate if the calculated time is say 10min, will be done in 10min.
Nope, I haven't... I was thinking about it in the context of if it falls out of balance there's only so many amps that can be sent across that small balancing wire/plug. It would seem to me that re-engineering these top tier chargers/packs to include a 4mm balancing jack as well as re-engineering the whole charging board in general should be in the future.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:01 PM
Tech Addict

Nope, I haven't... I was thinking about it in the context of if it falls out of balance there's only so many amps that can be sent across that small balancing wire/plug. It would seem to me that re-engineering these top tier chargers/packs to include a 4mm balancing jack as well as re-engineering the whole charging board in general should be in the future.

The PowerLab balancing circuit puts out around 1A at a 78uV resolution 16bit. Most of the lower end chargers are a lot less than 1A, thus the long balancing times.

The current balancing boards work just fine although the leads are fragile. I am sure in the future, balancing designs will change.

Last edited by Team Grid RC; 05-16-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:20 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
Are there any packs left on the market that are truly rated for only 1C? Oh I'm sure there are plenty that might say 1C charge in the paperwork or even on the pack simply because that is the max allowed by ROAR but that doesn't mean the cells can't take more. If that exact same cell is sold without the case as a flight pack, I bet it would say 2 or 3C charge.
while not the latest and greatest but still on sale, the revtech 5600mah 60c has conflicting info. the enclosed info stated charge at 1C, but in another spot it stated not more than 2C but not less than 1C.

these were a little less $$ than the thunder power but have been much less impressive.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by avs
while not the latest and greatest but still on sale, the revtech 5600mah 60c has conflicting info. the enclosed info stated charge at 1C, but in another spot it stated not more than 2C but not less than 1C.

these were a little less $$ than the thunder power but have been much less impressive.
So it sounds like charging less than 1C could be an issue as well? Has anyone else heard of this, or am I just completely late to the information party?
Old 05-16-2013, 06:12 PM
Tech Champion

Most Lipo packs sold for transmitters, receivers will not be used in high discharge rates and should be charged at 1C. These will come with tiny connectors.

Packs sold for racing and helis that have high C discharge rates also have high charge rates. These packs comes from the factory with 4mm, 5mm and EC5 connectors. A label that indicates the maximum C charge rates should be somewhere on the pack.

Also, high C discharge and high C charge packs also have lower IR. You will see this during the charge cycle. On the race packs, I am seeing 1.9 mega-ohm and less and for transmitter packs, I see readings of 20 mega-ohm.

If there is no max charge label, then charge at 1C.
The IR measurements are likely milliohm, not megaohm (mΩ not MΩ). Wouldn't get much current from a cell that has over a million ohms of resistance.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:41 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Dave H
The IR measurements are likely milliohm, not megaohm (mΩ not MΩ). Wouldn't get much current from a cell that has over a million ohms of resistance.
Oops, my bad. meant to say, milliohm. Working on another project "mega" that kept mega in my head all day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.