Search

ta05 ifs gearing question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default ta05 ifs gearing question

Hi every one!

I picked up a used TA05 IFS-R and wanted to know with a 21.5t what should the gearing be? I thought first it might have been something in the causing drag in the car but took it all a part inspected cleaned and oiled every thing its all moving freely the gear mesh is good too so i'm thinking its a gearing problem

right now its 80/56 and its hitting 190 degrees in less then 5 minutes on 2s lipo

setup

LRP Vector X12 21.5t, Tekin RS & 2s 7.4v lipo no timming in motor or ESC

thanks
Old 03-26-2013, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It depends a bit on what you're trying to do with it, are you racing on a track, or just bashing with it? That being said, 80/56 sounds like WAAAYYY too tall a gear ratio, even for playing around. I'd start with something more like a 4.12 FDR(which you can get with an 88T spur & a 48T pinion, assuming you're using 64 pitch gears), it may not be the perfect FDR, but that should be a reasonable starting point(for either racing or playing), should run much cooler & longer that way....
Old 03-26-2013, 09:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grizzbob
It depends a bit on what you're trying to do with it, are you racing on a track, or just bashing with it? That being said, 80/56 sounds like WAAAYYY too tall a gear ratio, even for playing around. I'd start with something more like a 4.12 FDR(which you can get with an 88T spur & a 48T pinion, assuming you're using 64 pitch gears), it may not be the perfect FDR, but that should be a reasonable starting point(for either racing or playing), should run much cooler & longer that way....
planing on racing it, there is a really nice out door blacktop track localy its a large track (Leisure hour raceway)
Old 03-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

In that case, I'd ask the guys who race there, as they'll be able to give you a MUCH better suggestion than any of us can over the internet(the locals will always have better insight on what works on their track)....