Wiki Posts
Search

Wiha Tools

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Wiha Tools

Anybody ever use these tools? They make a complete set but they are a bit pricey.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigbadbasher
Anybody ever use these tools? They make a complete set but they are a bit pricey.
Not as good as MIP but decent for the price. They are quite cheap on amazon though. The ball end ones don't last long though for me. I would get dynamite if I was saving money IMHO and MIP if not.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

IMO you can't beat the WIHA tools, lifetime warranty and the quality is top notch, I have the entire sys4 system.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

IMHO, any ball end types don't last long, ive never used a small ball end that lasted very long no matter who made it but ive never used the MIP so.

I was thinking about buying the whole set.. I like to wrench on my stuff and i love tools so im thinking about buying a kit from somewhere..
Old 03-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

These would be awesome if we knew the exact torque amount of all our components, but at that price? might sting a little lol..

http://www.wihatools.com/special_02.htm
Old 03-18-2013, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Hmm I generally have had bad experiences buying out whole sets. I just buy what I need and get the best possible ones from now on. For eg, have 3 different brand nut setters (wiha soft grip, hobbypartz crap, AE which is the best of the rest) before I settled on a hudy which is the best of the lot for RC. The wiha is too shallow for shock screws etc and the AE looses the anodizing easy. w.r.t. drivers, had a hitachi bl-3 or something, which died in a few months so went with the makita which runs great for the past two years almost! Again could have saved some money there buying the best!

The MIP 2.5 ball end does not wear out like others, I use it to remove engines from quick mount type engine mounts wherein a straight end driver strips. Checkout your local fast guys tool sets, most are not sponsored by tool makers so they buy the best of the lot .
Old 03-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Tech Master

I bought some of the Wiha T-Handles to try (the plastic molded ones with long hex shanks). They are okay. Definitely not anywhere near the quality of MIP, EDS, or Protek that I've used. I've had to grind the tips down on them. The thin shaft is also flexy so you can't get much torque. They work okay for the right application, but not a substitute for decent drivers.

If you are thinking of getting a set with 1/4" bits, forget about it. They have beveled edges on the hex tips. They'll round screws easily. You need something with a straight cut edge.

I was unaware of the lifetime warranty. Guess I won't have to worry about snapping the shafts... Unless I have to pay $20 to ship a $3 tool to Germany.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rsickles
I bought some of the Wiha T-Handles to try (the plastic molded ones with long hex shanks). They are okay. Definitely not anywhere near the quality of MIP, EDS, or Protek that I've used. I've had to grind the tips down on them. The thin shaft is also flexy so you can't get much torque. They work okay for the right application, but not a substitute for decent drivers.

If you are thinking of getting a set with 1/4" bits, forget about it. They have beveled edges on the hex tips. They'll round screws easily. You need something with a straight cut edge.

I was unaware of the lifetime warranty. Guess I won't have to worry about snapping the shafts... Unless I have to pay $20 to ship a $3 tool to Germany.
I used to work at a tool store and WIHA has an over the counter lifetime warranty, just got to find a local dealer and take a broken tool in and get a new one, I have had my set for quite a while now and haven't had any stripped heads or rounded or broke off a ball end yet. My advice would be if your going to buy WIHA buy a upper level set.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I bought a set of there ball end hexes and at first they seemed kinda cheap because they were so light. Years later they are still like new and have come to really like the quality and appreciate the light weight. Taking heavy tools to the track gets heavy.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Really? That's pretty reassuring actually, i might just buy a few that i need to try them out...
Old 03-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Ive had my red handle Dynamite Tools since 2004. Only broke a .50.... Cost $20 a set..... just sayin
Old 03-19-2013, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Depends on what you wrench as well. Xray/serpent plastics chew up socket heads even. I don't even use button heads if there is an option to use socket caps.